A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's the origin of Ssssh !

Post 1

swl

It seems to be a universal gesture, telling people to be quiet by putting the index finger verticall across pursed lips and letting out a hissing sound.

Why?

Where did this start? Has it got an origin?

Post 2

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I'm not sure it is universal but, assuming it is, the gesture part is pretty obvious. The finger across the mouth symbolically 'bars' sounds from escaping through it.

Post 3

Deb

I've just been having a bit of a browse round t'internet and have found a couple of things.

One site mentions the Shhh sound being comforting to a crying baby as it mimics the sound they hear in the uterus. It gives some examples of words used in other languages, such as shuh-shuh in Chinese and teeshina in Slovenian.

http://www.acousticecology.org/asae/news.htm#shhh

The other thing I found is that the word whist is an old British equivalent of shhh, which doesn't answer the question but I think is quite interesting anyway. smiley - smiley

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 4

IctoanAWEWawi

"being comforting to a crying baby as it mimics the sound they hear in the uterus."
Ok, I may be betraying my lack knowledge about female anatomy, but exactly which part of the female body is it that goes 'shhh' whilst with child?

Perhaps it is some sort of internal gas pressure build up which ends with a loud 'POP' when the baby is born?

Post 5

KB

I suspect the Shhhh sound comes from the sound made by air being hissed out between the teeth in exasperation at unwanted noise.

Post 6

Deb

Perhaps the shhh sound in the uterus is the amniotic fluid swishing about? Complete guess.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 7

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - titsmiley - whistleing
"Perhaps it is really the opposite of an alarm yell; keep quiet, hide. One of the basic sounds we started with. "

Post 8

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Maternal blood flow has that shssshing sound.

Post 9

KB

It's possible.

Post 10

I'm not really here

I think the sound is just natural - I found myself doing it without thinking yesterday. To a dog. smiley - blush I was trying to teach him to relax with a bit of a massage. Didn't mean to do it, I was trying to say 'relax' but shhed him instead.

Post 11

Noggin the Nog

All blood flow has that ssshhhing sound. You can hear it in your ears sometimes.

Noggin

Post 12

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

ssssh is an onomatopoeia

onomatopoeia is the information and use of words. which sound like noise or thing that they are describing or representing.

source: a English Dictionary.

sound like fun word! try to get it in conversation without breaking your tongue!

some parts were previously posted in my journal F64198?thread=212957

Post 13

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

No, that doesn't work. "Shhh" doesn't actually sound _like_ silence, since it's a noise, so it can't be representing silence onomatopoeically. (Is that the right word?)

Post 14

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Well, if it's really really quiet, you can hear your own blood flow, maybe, if you have good hearing?

Key: Complain about this post