A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What news story has caught your attention today.

Post 18041

Orcus

Yes I abandoned a 600 km bike ride at the 400 km mark once - in mid Wales on a Sunday so no chance to change or get a choice of trains. After 400 km (about 250 miles) I could smell myself. - that's a bad sign smiley - laugh.

I could see various looks and sniggers about the carriage. Still if anyone had said anything, they would not have fared well as I was tired and not in good-humour.

It's public transport - if you want to be in your comfortable cotton-wool world - get in your private car.

Some deodorant and a wash would indeed have been nice. But I'd prefer that to by my choice not someone else's. Still as a 250 lb bloke with a bouncer's build I guess I'm less of a choice target than a frail old man. smiley - winkeye

Post 18042

Bluebottle

Woman found guilty of stealing multiple copies of board game 'Monopoly' doesn't go Straight to Gaolsmiley - handcuffs
http://www.countypress.co.uk/news/18155951.go-straight-jail-isle-wight-shoplifter-steals-game-thrones-monopoly-boardgames/

<BB<

Post 18043

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - laugh

I read one today about super market employees printing their own vouchers. All together worth about 1 million Euros! Who would have guessed they got cought after a while...

Post 18044

Teasswill

Strife between vegan daughter & meat eating Mum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/1422e623-40b6-47f8-af6d-8603be278643

Perhaps daughter ought to offer to prepare some meals rather than expecting Mum to provide vegan options?
If you are vegan, what do you do in a non vegan's house if they offer refreshments - politely decline/ ask if they have soya milk/ eat or drink it anyway to be polite?

Post 18045

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Apparently, if you have a dairy- and a gluten allergy, it is very hard to be vegan as well and still get all your nutrients right.

Post 18046

Bluebottle

Local drama group raising money smiley - 2cents for the hospice smiley - nurse are giving a free performance of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.
http://onthewight.com/watch-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-performed-at-mountbatten-storytelling-event-by-new-drama-group/?mc_cid=d084811e97&mc_eid=afb425025bsmiley - dontpanic

<BB<

Post 18047

Cheerful Dragon

If I'd wanted to go vegan while I was living at home, I know that my Mum would have expected me to shop for and cook my own food. If the daughter has issues with what her mother cooks and/or eats, she is quite capable of sorting out her own food.

Post 18048

Teasswill

Like a gluten sensitive relative who takes her own flour etc if goes to stay with my sister-in-law.

I'm interested in the issue re visitors. (Friend of mine had a vegan daughter-in-law joining the family for Christmas dinner this year)
Even if you've prepared something you think is vegan for them, might there be contamination because of utensils etc used - or you might have mistaken what foodstuffs are vegan. Would they be any the wiser?

Post 18049

Cheerful Dragon

Some food manufacturers state on the packaging that their vegan food may have come in contact with non-vegan ingredients. So the only way to be sure is for a vegan to make all their food from scratch.

As for visiting guests or new family members, if you make the attempt to prepare a vegan meal then I'm sure they'd be grateful. If you're not sure that all the ingredients are strictly vegan, ask their advice in advance. They may be pleased that you're taking an interest in their dietary requirements.

Post 18050

Maria

http://www.eldiario.es/internacional/iglesias-brasilenas-continuan-abiertas-coronavirus_0_1010349890.html

Brazilian mega churches still open, holding about 10.000 people at the same time.

It is an essential service, according to Bolsonaro.

"the coronafaith will help us"

Evangelists are a plague in Southamerica since it became the backyard of USA. They manipulate people. You vote what your priest tells you, and guess whom suggested priests during last elections in Brazil

Post 18051

My father closed his church (with 60-ish people at most) weeks ago, even before it was officially sanctioned.

Post 18052

Teasswill

I caught a snippet on the news, from a church in Russia where a lady declared you can't get coronavirus in a church as it's a holy place. The reporter commented that this lady is a doctor...

Post 18053

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Good for your dad. a good shepherd indeed. I didn't realize you were a preacher's kid.

Post 18054

I know. It has not been widely advertised. But I always hope some of his compassion rubbed off on me.

Post 18055

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

That's more like Jesus than religion and I think they like it in heaven better!

Post 18056

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I read a personal account of someone in Italy on how their grandma insisted she has to go to church and won't stay at home as she should. People are just so unreasonable. It's good that they closed them all now. I think the first here were the mosques and islamic prayer houses which closed voluntarily.

Post 18057

Maybe they saw what happened in Iran?
Religion does not appear to prevent infection.

Post 18058

You can call me TC

Today they demolished the two nuclear cooling towers that have been on the horizon (just across the Rhine from us). The time and exact date were kept secret to prevent crowds gathering as we are still social distancing, of course.

Having lived with these for over 40 years, it was quite moving to watch.

http://youtu.be/kDuHlS1nvCE

Post 18059

Luckily, no mushroom cloud formed.

Post 18060

Bluebottle

Is a toadstool cloud more poisonous than a mushroom cloud?

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post