A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What news story has caught your attention today.

Post 17181

Recumbentman

Anyway since the Reformation monarchs are on strict orders to say nothing of interest.

And the one people loved most was the Queen Mother who never said a thing.

Post 17182

swl

That was the gin

Post 17183

Baron Grim

smiley - laugh

Post 17184

ITIWBS

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U19BeZEWNZs

Post 17185

Baron Grim

And...

http://youtu.be/IloIoGj5Mj0

Post 17186

swl

An interesting and little-known fact about the Queen is she is an avid crazy golf fan. She has her own crazy golf course at Balmoral which is extensively re-modelled each Spring in preparation for her annual crazy golf holiday. No one has ever beaten the Queen at crazy golf.

Post 17187

Pink Paisley

The news today here in the UK seems to be dominated by two images of 2 year old Aylan Kurdi.

Sadly, much of the focus seems to be on whether it was right to use the image.

I for one, am glad that the image has been seen. Sometimes it is right to provoke a reaction this way and this is one of those times. Contrast it with the photo of the outside of the truck that was found to have 71 dead bodies in it and judge which one drives the story home most effectively.

PP.

Post 17188

hammondorgan

Too busy with John Brown's body probably.

Post 17189

hammondorgan

I see Chris the sheep has been a bit neglected since his starring role in Father Ted! Wouldn't it be nice if they re-named him Jose Merino? Come to think of it Jose bleats more than most! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34135805

Post 17190

Baron Grim

I knew that sounded familiar. I remember the story of Shrek. smiley - sheep

Post 17191

Recumbentman

Got to point out that hammondorgan's comment "Too busy with John Brown's body" was a post 21 in reply to "Queen Victoria never said 'We are not amused'."

Slightly unfortunate placing, but that's post 21s for you.

Post 17192

Baron Grim

And it's a bit of synchronicity. I'm am right now sat at my desk listening to Billy Connolly being interviewed by Marc Maron, and he speaks of acting in Mrs. Brown and dining with the Queen.

Post 17193

Baron Grim

I'm am also incapable of coherent speech. smiley - doh

Post 17194

hammondorgan

Thanks for that Rec, I don't know things, seem to get out of synch sometimes, as you say impeccably bad timing.

Post 17195

hammondorgan

The recent Hatton garden job, the convicted guys, their average age was about 70!!!! I wonder if they had part-time jobs in Homebase or something, they had to get those fancy drills from somewhere! Unbelievable! http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/04/hatton-garden-heist-men-plead-guilty

Post 17196

Todaymueller

No doubt they will make a movie of it in a few years time. They will all be working class heroes and have lots of funny lines.
Real criminals are nothing like this in real life, their just mean and obnoxious.

Post 17197

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Look what I just stumbled on http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2015/09/04/blue-alert/

Any thoughts or additions?

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 17198

Baron Grim

Maybe they're trying to make up for Red Dwarf: Back to Earth.

Oh, and I just discovered I've missed RD:X. smiley - run

Post 17199

Todaymueller

By coincedence I have been wearing my London Jets t-shirt ( as worn by Lister in many episodes ) all day today smiley - ok

Post 17200

hammondorgan

I've just been listening to Radio Four, they were reporting on Syrian refugees, trekking across Hungary. Apparently they follow the tracks of disused railway lines to get where they want to go. Honestly I can only marvel at their resourcefulness and determination, one fellow had just heard that his brother had been killed after being conscripted into Assad's army, the very situation that was facing him when he left. What can you say? Who in their right mind would say these people aren't genuine refugees? If they make it to Germany apparently they're housed and given free medical insurance as soon as they're registered, and registration is little more than a formality if they're Syrian, cos the Germans fully get it regarding the situation in Syria. I don't know any answers but I know none of us can rest easy when people, especially kids are living through such a catastrophe and doing nowt, and just putting more fences up doesn't present as an option. And of course the irony of Germany being the most welcoming European nation to these 'swarms' compared to our own response hasn't escaped me, God bless Angela Merkel, and Nicola Sturgeon too.

Key: Complain about this post