A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 6421

Mol - on the new tablet

15 and 13 saw Hunger Games. They came out and told me never to watch it. I had kind of worked that out for myself from the publicity but good to have it confirmed.

We (DH, me and Osh) went to see the Aardman Pirates film. It was brilliant. I mean, weird plot, but some laugh out loud moments. Hugh Grant and Martin Freeman were superb. And all the little details, like the Blue Peter badge.

Total cost (because we were seeing two different films so couldn't get a family ticket) with ONE popcorn and ONE coke: £48.

Mol

Post 6422

Mol - on the new tablet

I forgot to say - not entirely in spirit with the whole Jubilee thing, but super evil Queen Victoria was brilliant too.

Mol

Post 6423

Sho - employed again!

did 13 and 15 not like the Hunger Games? (I loved it)

I saw Johnny English 2 which was the same old jokes over and over - and I loved it.

Post 6424

Mol - on the new tablet

Oh, 13 and 15 loved it. But they know me well enough to know I'd hate it!

Mol

Post 6425

Lovemissionaryposition

James Bond & rom coms are my cup of tea.

Post 6426

You can call me TC

To make the chore of ironing more bearable, I watched "The Adjustment Bureau" yesterday evening. The chemistry between Emily Blunt and Matt Damon was quite convincing and the featurette showing how she (not a dancer) prepared for the part of a dancer (and she did most of her own dancing in the film, too) was very impressive.

I enjoyed the film with my belief suspended. The men in hats were a very interesting concept - I am sure everyone must feel sometimes that there's someone or something out there pulling strings. Nice "Love Conquers all" story, and Matt Damon is as usual, really worth watching. Not in a smiley - drool way (hell, no! Not my type at all. Too American.) He was a very convincing politician, and as I said above, you really believed in the love story, too.

Post 6427

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

'Headhunters'. It wouldn't normally be the kind of thing I'd pay to see in a cinema, but it was quite amusing.

It was meant to be a comedy, right? Or am I just sick?

Post 6428

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

£48!!!!smiley - yikes

I went to see Wrath of the Titans (3D) today, smiley - ok just my kind of filmsmiley - applause it's so much better than Clash of the Titans.

I have almost finished reading The Hunger Games smiley - book and will be off to see the film as soon as I can. Can't waitsmiley - ok

Post 6429

quotes

>> so much better than Clash of the Titans.

A sequel that's better than the original? I was thinking of going to see it just for the fx. Are they fun?

Post 6430

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Popular opinion has it that 'The Godfather, Part II' was even better than 'The Godfather'. I disagree.

Post 6431

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Went to see The Avengers this afternoon. Annoyingly a couple were there with a young child who was crying very loudly and they wouldn't take it outside until some bloke basically went over and threatened to knock the father out....

However despite this I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I tend to be rather prone to hyperbole but I wonder if it might just be the best comic book movie ever.

FB

Post 6432

McKay The Disorganised

Raining in Bridlington, so went to see 'The Hunger Games'

Very good - Loved the contrasts and the over-styled Capitol dwellers.

smiley - cider

Post 6433

swl

"Raining in Bridlington" sounds like it should be a film.

Post 6434

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - laugh

The fx were brilliant, quotes. My bugbear with "Clash of the Titans" was Perseus' shaved head. In "Wrath" his hairstyle is much more suitable. Warning! Spoiler follows about Wrath of the Titans:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Cronos will blow you away!! There's more of Pegasus and lots of time spent in the Underworld (which reminded me of Hogwarts at first). Some recurring characters change and switch sides, another (particularly the one main new character) looked cute and young but was evil to the core.

Post 6435

Vestboy

I agree with the previous comment about the Avengers. I've seen the other lead up films (Thor, Iron Man etc.) and some of them were OK but nothing spectacular, but this one was the best of the lot. We had no crying babies but we did have 3D glasses! I did laugh out loud at a couple of gags and I thought the writing was very tight - especially for Iron Man's dialogue.
My 21 year old son and I were trying to work out who could be in the Avengers if you could include any of the comic book heroes apart from Superman and we struggled.

Non-spoiler: The ending credits do indicate a follow-up.

Post 6436

I think their plan is to do another one after a full round of stand alone films. So that is presumably Iron Man 4, THor 2, Captain America 2 and Hulk 4.

Of these I can only really say that Hulk 4 excites me as I really enjoyed Mark Ruffalo's Hulk.... best screen outing todate in the Avengers.

Strange I am much more of a DC man than a Marvel Man, but Nolan Bat films, and Donner supes films aside Marvel do rather seem to have nailed the medium of film much, much better than DC have.

FB

Post 6437

Incidentally I confiedently predict that THe Man of Steel will be woefully, tragicly awful as it is directed by Zak Snyder.

Curse you WB you toss pots, why ruin a Supes film with that steaming pile of excrement of a director.

FB

Post 6438

Storm

I loved the Avengers.

Continuity errors bit of a problem though. There was one in the car chase at the beginning when the screen smash migrated from one side of the car to the other and at the end with the magical reappearing A.

Post 6439

Vestboy

I've just come back from seeing The Lady at the Dendy Cinema in Circular Quay. I loved it. Aung San Suu Kyi's story told from the perspective of her relationships with her British Don husband Michael and their two sons who were forced to be separated from her while she was under house arrest in Rangoon, Burma.
A very powerful film. David Thewlis plays a great role and a bit (playing Suu's husband and his twin brother).
Take a box of tissues.

Post 6440

HonestIago

The Avengers took the p*ss! No film should be as good as that one was - I can't remember the last time I walked out of a cinema screen grinning ear-to-ear like this.

Particular highlights were Black Widow, who was given some suprisingly meaty stuff to do, and Ruffalo as the Hulk: for the first time I think a film has really nailed the Hulk. For such a big, loud action film there were a lot of really low-key, very powerful character moments and that's where Whedon really shines. The other area is in the dialogue which was hysterically funny at times (I love it when an entire cinema screen laughs at the exact same time - Robert Downey Junior and Whedon's writing style are just made for each other.

That was the most fun I've had in a long time.

Key: Complain about this post