A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What film have you seen recently?

Post 6081

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Went to see Apes last night and it was pretty darned good. B-Movie tastic but a great laugh all the same. Mr Andy Serkis is rather good at this old Mo-Cap lark....

I'm rather with him when he says about how it is an acting performance and not a special effect.

FB

Post 6082

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Super 8, highly recommendedsmiley - ok I don't remember when I last jumped so much smiley - yikes and I loved the characters.

10/10

Post 6083

HonestIago

Just watched Twilight, to see if it was as bad as the book. It wasn't but that's not a compliment (I feel like Stephanie Meyer should personally apologise for the book, it's that bad) and it was worrying that the film keeps the "Bella as a willing (and praiseworthy) abuse victim" theme intact.

Good soundtrack though. It's curious how Linkin Park (a band I quite rate and like) keep on providing songs for awful films (this, Transformers 1&2, GI Joe).

Post 6084

Orcus

Saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Very good smiley - ok I was expecting it to be though as it has almost universal praise. to be honest though it may not quite have lived up to me resulting expectations. It's not the most *amazing* film ever that's for sure.

Fits like a glove into the Planet of the Apes franchise too - which I wasn't expecting for some reason. We both agreed after though that the original is still the best - although that's for the shock value of the scene where you realise it's Earth they're on. Not really possible to have that in the others really. Definitely the second best contribution to the franchise though.

As films like this frequently appall me with the level of bad science in them I was left most impressed by this. Really quite sound (if fanciful obviously) stuff in this film. Although the motivation of Genesys' main bloke is a bit iffy - that wasn't really very realistic I'd say.

Big thumbs up anyway.

Post 6085

toybox

Isn't that the movie where they changed bits of the set in mid-film to patch scenario holes?

If you read French, have a look at this gentleman's review: http://tinyurl.com/3blokvv (plenty of spoilers though)

Post 6086

Orcus

Which? I talked about two movies.

Post 6087

toybox

Ah, rise of the planet of the apes, sorry. But I shouldn't comment until I see it actually smiley - blush but that guy's review is just hilarious smiley - biggrin

Post 6088

Orcus

Well I read some through babelfish. I think it lost something in the translation but it did seem quite funny. (I liked his comments about the toughened glass - I think you do need to allow some dramatic license though).

Can't win 'em all I suppose. smiley - smiley

Post 6089

Orcus

It's not so much a review as a parody though - from what I read it didn't look like you needed to go and see the film afterwards smiley - laugh

Post 6090

toybox

He might have included a few exaggerations for comedy effect, yes smiley - biggrin

Post 6091

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Cowboys and Aliens.

Well, it did what it said on the tin, it's Independence Day meets High Noon with a dash of John Wayne. The title was wrong though - it should have been Cowboys and Indians versus Aliens.

Pluses: the bonus of having Daniel Craigsmiley - drool in every scene, a hunking great load of Harrison Fordsmiley - drool and a small-ish dose of Sam Rockwellsmiley - drool. So I'll give it 10/10, just for the ride.smiley - rocket

Post 6092

swl

Watched the remake of True Grit last night and loved it. Great cast helped me all but forget the original bar a few key scenes.

Hailee Steinfeld as the young girl Mattie Ross was superb.

Another Coen Brothers success.

Post 6093

HonestIago

Me and a mate made our own double bill today. First film was the Inbetweeners film which was surprisingly good and quite true to the feel of the series.

The other film was The Guard and quite simply go and see this film. You will not see a funnier film this year. Brenden Gleeson plays a member of the Gardai in Galway and also has Don Cheedle as an American FBI agent working on a case. Very funny, very warm, very well done. Go and see it.

Post 6094

Pink Paisley

Well, there was no way that Mrs P and I were ever likely to agree about whether we should see One Day or The Inbetweeners. We went together and both saw different films.

She enjoyed One Day, but although I nodded, smiled and made all of the right noised, it sounded really dull to me.

I enjoyed The In-betweeners, and although she nodded, smiled and made all of the right noises, she clearly didn't understand how funny The In-betweeners was.

PP

Post 6095

swl

Watched "Rise of..."

'mon the monkeys! smiley - biggrin

Post 6096

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Conan.

Highly enjoyable mix of gore, nudity and non-intellectual story-telling. There are no attempts to be clever or hip or provide some kind of social comment, just a good old-fashioned brainless action-fantasy in which attractive people don't wear many clothes.

Post 6097

Orcus

Better than the original?

(Not a stringent test of quality I appreciate smiley - winkeye)

Post 6098

a visitor to planet earth

The day the earth caught fire 1961 black and white. Just got the dvd a very good film.

Post 6099

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Very much so. It's (I am told) a more faithful recreation of the original stories.

Post 6100

HonestIago

Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes - good enough but there was a lot of zombie film logic on display. Great CGI and decent performances by James Franco and Andy Serkis.

Key: Complain about this post