A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What film have you seen recently?

Post 5321

Alfster

A friend showed me this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDKiQfBs9lo

which made me re-watch Snatch...great film...with a non-action hero Jason Statham.

Avatar...haven't seen...It has all the smell about it of Titanic: great special effects rubbish story.

Mark Kermode reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sozaEi8gKAo

Think I'll give it a miss.

Post 5322

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Just finished watching The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus on DVD.Most odd, but then it is Terry Gilliam. I think I'll need to watch it again in a few weeks to fully grasp it (like most things Mr Gilliam has been involved in) but I really enjoyed it. Visually stunning and very bleak at the same time (like Brazil and The Fisher King in that respect).

9/10 so far - will report back when I've watched it again.

Post 5323

Orcus

The spelling was Tarantino being, well, Tarantino.

Post 5324

Orcus

Oh poo, that was a post 20 jobby. smiley - rolleyes Reply to the Inglorious Basterds comment earlier.

Post 5325

Mol - on the new tablet

See, *I* thought Fellowship was the best of the three films, but it's my least favourite of the three books ...

We watched Police Academy (I bought my husband the boxed set of all 7 Police Academy films for his birthday and his whole face lit up when he unwrapped it smiley - biggrin). *Very* 1980s but we enjoyed it, as did the children.

Mol

Post 5326

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Police academy boxset? smiley - bigeyes

Make sure you come and giver the "Guttster" some smiley - love...

F19585?thread=4413031&skip=60&show=20

FB

Post 5327

A Super Furry Animal

I filled a gap in my film-watching history at the weekend with Clerks. Very enjoyable. We didn't get to the cinema, so we're hoping that one of our local multiplexes is still showing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo over Easter. The Odeon isn't because, frankly, the area it's in is too chavvy to show anything intelligent, or in a foreign language, or both.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 5328

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Saw Kick Ass yesterday. Excellent, enjoyable film. No great art, but a well done adaptation nonetheless. Well worth it. Possibly the only film in which you'll see a 12 year old girl cutting people's legs off with a sword. Probably the only time you'll hear one saying 'I'm just fxcking with ya daddy' too, come to that.

smiley - ale

Post 5329

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Just seen "A Serious Man"....

I fricking loved it.... Darkly funny Coens at their best (though I do understand why it wasnt to everyones taste).

FB

Post 5330

Keep meaning to bring that home from work. Will try for the weekend, methinks.

Post 5331

Beatrice

The Blind Side

I found it quite low key and under-stated, but the teens thought it was "amaaaazing!"

They didn't realise it was based on a true story till the end.

Post 5332

taliesin

Zwartboek (aka Blackbook)

Very good, despite a glaringly stupid plot flaw near the end

Post 5333

A Super Furry Animal

Last night I watched An American In Paris, starring Gene Kelly.

Dunno what all the fuss is about, myself, but HI seemed to enjoy it. It was (unintentionally) funny in some of its attitudes.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 5334

You can call me TC

Really it's just a 20 minute dance sequence with a bit of story at the beginning and end.

Post 5335

Sho - employed again!

The music is quite fabby though.

Blackbook - is that the one about the Dutch people under the German occupation?

We watched Wilkommen bei den St'is - a French comedy thing about the north/south divide. Absolutely hilarious.

Post 5336

The Fourth Kind on DVD last night, 15 didn't think it was suitable for his brothers and had an almighty strop. (Missing out on chocolate milk and supper) smiley - rofl It's really just an extended X-Files type thing so the other two have been extracting the Michael all morning.

'Mum, I had a nightmare about aliens last night smiley - winkeye'

'Oh no, J, yo can't play that game - it's got aliens in it'

We're due to play Lego Rock Band later - we're not letting J play, there are aliens in the game, smiley - silly

Post 5337

Christopher

The film society I'm a member of is showing Bienvenue Chez Les Ch'tis (Welcome To The Sticks) in a couple of months. Sounds great fun.

Before then we've got Waltz With Bashir and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Post 5338

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Found an Older film on DVD at a local rental shop: "Alice In the Cities".

LOVED IT! Love Wim Wenders, Love Can. Not such a big fan of Canned Heat. smiley - laugh But a really good mix of "road movie" and character study. Good stuff. *****

Post 5339

A Super Furry Animal

So far this weekend:

Went to see Clash Of The Titans at the cinema in 3D. Pretty trashy affair, they've messed with the story a bit (Pegasus around *before* Medusa's been killed! smiley - yikes) A bit of a cock-up in terms of the Kraken, but some good additions as well, including Woodface, and providing a love interest. One major gripe: the 3D seemed very clunky compared to other 3D films I've seen (Alice In Wonderland, Avatar and Coraline) - I'm not sure why that should be, although 2 of them were in a different cinema. Has anyone else noticed a difference between 3D at Odeon and Cineworld?

On DVD, we watched a classic from the 80's - Breaker Morant with Edward Woodward. Top film, as good as I remember it being (30 years ago and only just out of short trousers). Definitely recommended. Although based on a true story, it does somewhat sugar-coat it, but even so, the essence of the story is there and is probably one that should be more widely known.

Tomorrow, we may or may not go to see Kick-Ass.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 5340

Christopher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgr0roEsfFI

Key: Complain about this post