A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 3021

flakey-lady.... you lookin' at me punk?

clive...£3.50 for renting.. where do you go? thats quite good compared to blockbuster at 3.95 per rental.. blockbuster have become very greedy, changing their deals so frequently i can hardly keep up with them, and not to our advantage either.. in fact the manager of our local blockbuster quit recently as she was sick of the customer feedback/anger over all the price increases.

just before xmas it was 2 top title films for 2 nights at £6.00, after xmas this went up to 2 top rentals for £7.00 but with a free bottle of coke...within a matter of weeks this soon changed to no free bottle of pop, but still £7.00.. but even then it didn't stop there.. the final insult was films £3.95 for one day only.. but that didn't last long.. although now 2 top titles is £7.90 [2 nights again], so no saving at all

greedy baskets. talk about stealth charges... but i still agree its good[ish] value for film addicts.. not much choice either way..

Post 3022

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

I meant Blockbuster - I got the price wrong. I remember before Blockbuster it was the The Ritz and I could rent movies for a week for only £1.

Post 3023

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

I think if you rent a lot of films then Netflix,lovefilm or the like is probably more economical than the high street.

The internet is more economical still..... smiley - winkeyesmiley - evilgrinsmiley - run

Post 3024

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

I keep wondering about those but I tend to rent on impulse - order by mail requires a degree of forward planning. smiley - winkeye

Post 3025

indeedy... I think you have to watch a lot of films as well for it to be economical, at least 1-2 a week. I did it for a while until I found the joys of "Usenet" that is smiley - evilgrin

Post 3026

Steve K.

"A Prairie Home Companion", pretty good. Reminded me of other Altman movies - Nashville, Gosford Park, MASH - with almost continous action and everybody talking at once. A good ensemble cast which I always prefer to a "star vehicle", and some good country music. Kevin Kline as Sam Spade wannabe Guy Noir was hilariously out of place, like he was supposed to be on the set next door or something.

Guy Noir: She had a Mount Rushmore t-shirt on, and those guys never looked so good. Especially Jefferson and Lincoln. Kind of bloated but happy.

smiley - boing

Post 3027

its the same for me clive...the postal thing wouldn't work well for me as i can only watch on the weekends as i work 4 nights a week...

but would be better financially, and i could indulge in as many films as i wanted..but sadly not possible in reality...

so blockbuster got my money again this weekend, we watched THE HISTORY BOYS... i liked it but himoutdoors didn't at all... i loved francis de la tour she was always so dramatic even in rising damp....it wasn't brilliant and maybe a tad bit ploddy [he was screaming BORING] i'd give it 7/10. i wouldn't crave to see it again but it was a good film for the watching..

then his choice...THE GUARDIAN... featuring music from the titanic it seemed.. basically a top gun for coastguards..about the swimmers that jump out of helicopters to save people, and the training etc. i thought it would be dire, but it was watchable and emotional, probably more absorbing than the history boys so 8/10.

Post 3028

Is that the one with "Ashton Kutchner" the git from MTV?

Post 3029

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

There is one advantage to buying 'Pan's Labyrinth'. It is being offered in a 3 cd box set with 2 other Guillermo Del Toro films, his highly odd but brilliant debut 'Kronos' and the hugely underated 'Devils Backbone'.

I'm tempted simply to get my hands on 'Kronos', which has been unavailable for years. I'd have to get rid of my copy of 'Devil's Backbone', but thats's why god made e-bay.

Have to wait until after I get paid, though.

smiley - shark

Post 3030

Omega Jones

I rent from one of those places that's really a newsagent - £2.50 for new films, £1.25 for slightly older ones. Can't really do online as I only have access once a week. (Plus I get to ogle the guy behind the counter...)

Post 3031

so omega what does the totty look likesmiley - biggrin yes sometimes spars and similar have a dvd section, trouble is tescos are killing off the smaller shops, but wonder when they will start dvd rental as they are monopolising everything else...but at £2.50 thats a bargainsmiley - ok

kronos has my fav hunk in it..ron perlman... i've never seen it so might consider the 3 dvd pack... mmmnnnn

Post 3032

Omega Jones

Late thirties/early forties, tallish, short dark hair, often seen wearing glasses (personal fetish of mine).

And yes, it certainly is cheap especially considering that it would cost over a tenner to go to the cinema (well, for cartoons anyway!)

Post 3033

Guizang

I'm afraid in the last few weeks, I was either watching films or surfing on the Internet when I was awake. So, I have watched lots of films, either bad or good, English or other languages. I watched "Venus"http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489327/, starred by Peter O'Toole, today. The setting is in London, which attracts me. However, other than the setting, nothing is interesting: a old dying guy was "so-called" in love with a teenage girl. That's disgusting. And when I was watching, I was really worrying that Peter O'Toole would go to die when he was playing the role. He was too old. However, London was really beautiful.

Post 3034

Stranger Than Fiction.

Quite a different tone from the last couple of films I have seen but really good all the same. Will Ferrell is admirably restrained and this really makes the film.

About a miliion times better than your average rom com.....

Post 3035

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

The Illusionist. Very atmospheric, smiley - ok and I never knew quite what was going on but I'd recommend it all the same

Post 3036

Really? IO had heard it was quite dissapointing. Might have to give it a go.

Post 3037

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Well don't go just on my recommendation, I'd hate you to say you wasted your time and money because of me.

Post 3038

I think I will use the magic of the t'interweb to make sure I dont risk wasting any money smiley - evilgrin

Post 3039

Xanatic

I´d also recommend the Illusionist. And I would recommend actually giving the film makers the money they deserve, rather than downloading it.

Post 3040

xanatic and galaxy babe..have you also seen the prestige.. if so how did the illusionist compare? the story lines do seem very different... i quite fancy it and with edward norton it can't be too bad.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more