A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 181

Sheep in wolfs clothing

I can third the recommendation for Oldboy. I saw it last night and thought it was fantastic. It was in a similar vein to Saw, which I went to last month. Both are well worth watching, though I would say Oldboy is more realistic and down to earth (which is an odd thing to say about films of this sort). If you haven't seen Oldboy, it is as much a 'Whydunnit' as a 'Whodunnit', mixed with a lot of gratuitous violence.
Whilst at the cinema, I saw a poster for 'The Corporation' and a trailer for 'Enduring Love'. Both looked intriguing. Has anyone seen them and, if so, can you recommend them?

Post 182

Ged42

I saw Oldboy a few weeks back (I think I mentioned it earlier) and agree it is superb, the plot just keeps twisting. smiley - smiley

Post 183

...Shrillian...

Haven't heard of it...

I don't know if it's been released here yet (Australia). What's it all about?

Post 184

Crescent

revenge and the price it costs....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 185

Nbcdnzr, the dragon was slain, and there was much rejoicing

I saw Waking Life yesterday, a truly remarkable film. It's about various philosophical ideas. These ideas are thrown at the viewer in rapid succesion through conversations people are having. The filming technique is extraordinary. They used normal actors and cameras to film it, but then animated the scenes based on the live action material. The result is an animation that is very fluent and natural due to the natural motions and lighting of the scenes. There is an interesting overall story to it, which isn't very apparent in the beginning, but I don't want to give anything away by describing it.
If you're at least a little bit into out-of-the-ordinary films or philosophy, I can recommend it.

Post 186

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I saw "Secret Window" on Tuesday at the cinema.
smiley - headhurts

For Johnny Depp fans only.smiley - skull

Post 187

Spiff

Anybody else catch 'Farewell, My Lovely' on the Beeb this week?

It's a terrific take on Chandler, and in my view Dick Powell is actually much closer to Marlowe as he is in the books than Bogart, who I love in the Big Sleep but is just Bogart playing a detective, rather than Marlowe walking out of the pages.

Or was I the only person who even noticed that this seminal film noir classic was on the telly at all? smiley - winkeye

spiff

Post 188

HonestIago

Watched The Incredibles last night - my word it was one of the funniest films I've ever seen! It was perfectly pitched, kids will love the superheroes and the slapstick bits were just *so* hilarious!

Post 189

sobeys

I saw Mallrats last night, and LOVED it, I am a huge Kevin smith fan, and think his movies, well except jersey girl, are great.

I also watched National Treasure on Friday, and think that is a great movie that is enjoyable to see. Not so much action, but a good treasure hunt movie.

Post 190

Hoovooloo

I saw the first half of the Incredibles yesterday. Someday I hope to see the rest...

H.

Post 191

thegoldfish4ever

Saw the incredibles,it was one funny movie.i recommend grabing some pop-corn and seeing it.Waiting to see National Treasure,hear its okey.

Post 192

Beatrice

Saw Bad Santa yesterday. It was truly awful.

Looking forwadr to a girls night out at Edge of Reason this Wednesday.

Post 193

Crescent

I saw Bad Santa last week, and he was a revolting man, and none of the characters were upstanding members of society. However, that being said he did grow as a character, and it was very funny. It is rare that a whole cinema laughs when I laugh, but with this film it happened. I think that this will be a slowburn classic smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 194

Ged42

Finally got round to seeing The Incredibles,

It is really good, another classic by Pixar. smiley - ok

Post 195

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Saw the Incredibles last week. It's ace.

Saw Blade: Trinity last night. It's not quite so ace, although we do learn that many vampires have tasted the end of Blade's sword (fnarr, fnarr).

Post 196

bubba-fretts

smiley - laugh

Post 197

HonestIago

I didn't mind Blade:Trinity, it wasn't the greatest film, but it wasn't trying to be. Watched the extended edition of Return of The King on Monday and it is amazing, the added scenes and extensions really do add to the film. I particularly liked the Houses of Healing scene with Liv Tyler/Arwen's singing and Eowyn and Faramir's courtship. The exposition piece on the decline of Gondor was brilliant and Minas Tirith is still the most amazing thing I've seen on screen

Post 198

Beatrice

Saw Oceans 12 today.

Some very nice cinematography. And gorgeous soundtrack.

Post 199

tyrone

saw the grunge recently ; Don't bother it goes from bad to worse to confusing

Post 200

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

The Grunge?
That'd be the story of the Seattle scene then...smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post