A Conversation for Ask h2g2

useless facts

Post 6021

Not-so-bald-eagle

Codpieces were invented when doublets got shorter.

smiley - coolsmiley - bubbly

useless facts

Post 6022

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

Unfortunately, also useful.

useless facts

Post 6023

Not-so-bald-eagle

smiley - biggrin but hard to just 'glide' into a conversation. Now that is true !

unless you're at a codpiece convention of coursesmiley - erm

useless facts

Post 6024

A Super Furry Animal

I had a tasty piece of cod for my dinner on Tuesday.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

useless facts

Post 6025

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

I now want a piece of cod for dinner tonight. I'll probably go for Rock again though. Damn my insistence on revenge for Jaws!

useless facts

Post 6026

Not-so-bald-eagle

Rock cod..... the 'not cod' cod so to speak.... well it'll probably be well-travelled

smiley - erm not totally useless if you want to play know-it-all with the fishmonger

useless facts

Post 6027

You can call me TC

Talking of cod, here's a fact: the Americans don't know what a fish slice is. Caused a lot of confusion in the PR thread about the smiley - friedegg entry. But (a) they know now (b) I added an explanatory footnote for those who weren't in the thread.

It caused some hilarity at the time, especially as the British housewives in the thread were quite stumped as to what else you would call it.

You live and learn. Which is probably this thread's motto.

useless facts

Post 6028

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

I probably shouldn't mention it here, 'cos it's a bit useful...

"Rock cod..... the 'not cod' cod so to speak.... well it'll probably be well-travelled"

No, Rock is short for 'Rock Salmon', a generic name for several species of small shark, mainly dogfish. Apparently people wouldn't eat anything that reminds them of a dog.

useless facts

Post 6029

Not-so-bald-eagle

or a smiley - blackcat.... as in catfish

useless facts

Post 6030

toybox

My favourite prime is 119.

(Why do people have favourite primes anyway smiley - huh)

useless facts

Post 6031

Not-so-bald-eagle

Fact : Not everybody has a favourite prime smiley - cool

useless facts

Post 6032

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

Fact: It takes an hour for the people reading this thread to say 119 is not prime.

useless facts

Post 6033

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

Since we're on the topic, my favorite prime, I've just decided, is 100999897969594939291908988878685848382818079787776757473727170696867666564636261.smiley - sorry

useless facts

Post 6034

toybox

I was wondering whether somebody would spot that. Well, as a matter of fact, I was rather sure you would. But 119 looks prime!

useless facts

Post 6035

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

Well, 191 is prime (=119 in base 13 smiley - doh).

useless facts

Post 6036

Baron Grim

"What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"

In base 13 you get 42.

Douglas Adams was amused when he learned this but had to admit he doesn't write jokes in base 13.

useless facts

Post 6037

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

~*~However, today I was listening to my newly arrived CDs of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy BBC radio series and couldn't help but note that Marvin (in his dying moments near The Message) states that because of all the tedious tasks he's been asked to perform for our heroes, is now 37 times as old as the universe...~*~

Incidentally, in the book Marvin says that he's only 3-times as old as the universe. While seemingly not as impressive a number, if you actually multiply 3 by 14-billion (the round estimate for the current age of the universe), your answer is 42-billion. But smiley - dontpanic, I'm sure it's just a coincidence. smiley - winkeyesmiley - towel

So what *is* a fish slice? Is it just a slice of fish?

smiley - pirate

useless facts

Post 6038

Not-so-bald-eagle

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_fishslice1.jpg

other names might even be useful

useless facts

Post 6039

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

smiley - erm.....smiley - doh.....smiley - bigeyes......smiley - biggrin.....smiley - laugh.....

What the...? Why would anyone call that a fish slice???

smiley - pirate

useless facts

Post 6040

Not-so-bald-eagle

Maybe because of the shape of the 'holes'.

fact: 'cake slices' have no holes in the lifting part http://www.gadgetfolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/musical_cake_slice.jpg

Key: Complain about this post