A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Thread about things that are WRONG

Post 1

The Groob

This thread is about things that are WRONG.

For example, Star Trek never had the line 'Beam me up Scotty'.
Casablanca never had the line 'Play it again Sam'
Mae West never said 'Come round and see me sometime'.

You're contributions are invited for things that are WRONG.

Post 2

dasilva

A duck's quack doesn't echo

Post 3

The Groob

The schoolground favourite about Marc Almond, the dog and the stomach pump is completely untrue.

Post 4

Researcher Eagle 1

People use far, far more than 10% of their brains, thank you very much. They just don't always use it so well.

Post 5

dasilva

Elvis did not write 'Silent Night'

(Sorry, Kev!)

Post 6

The Groob

Stan Laurel was NOT Clint Eastwood's dad!

Post 7

Coniraya

My bathroom scales are wrong!

Post 8

Researcher Eagle 1

One of the great corporate smokescreens in history was done by McDonald's years ago when a woman sued for spilling hot coffee on herself.

1. The woman in question did not receive $10 million. She got a tenth of that and the rest of the money went to the warning that the coffee in their cups was hot.

2. McDonald's coffee at the time was served at over 180 degrees F compared to most fast food places which served the coffee at 140.

3. This debacle led to the nifty plastic tops that allow you to suck offee through the opening while it cools, the paper sleeves to keep your hand from being burned, and the fact that your coffee is now piping hot at 180 degrees F everywhere.

What a horrible woman she was for such a frivolous lawsuit, huh?

Post 9

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson."

Post 10

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

The Doctor is called the Doctor, *not* Doctor Who.

A munchkin actor cannot be seen hanging from the set in a scene in The Wizard of Oz.

smiley - ale

Post 11

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I'm tempted to put some stuff here that, on consideration, is actually opinion rather than fact. Things like:

Clockwork Orange is NOT a horifically violent film. Violent, yes. Good, debatable but I'd say probably.
Professional cycling is NOT awash with drugs. They just get tested more and are also making more effort to clean up their act.

Post 12

The Groob

Captain Pugwash did not have characters whose names were subtle sexual references.

(However, I do suspect that a 'pugwash' is a homosexual activity. Never been able to find out about this)

Post 13

dasilva

Il Duce didn't fix Italy's railways - it is phsically impossible to make railways run on time, safely and to profit. It was all propaganda...of the type that's been used a lot in these here parts of late smiley - winkeye

Post 14

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Spinks-

Yes, it is, but there is no *way* I can post a definition here, not without being modded and very possibly banned smiley - winkeye

smiley - ale

Post 15

dasilva

Now I'm intrigued!

And I don't even swing that way!

smiley - erm

Post 16

The Groob

The famous scene from Only Fools And Horses where Delboy falls through the bar WAS scripted. One myth would have it that it was a genuine mistake that was left in.

Post 17

Sierra Indigo - now Cheesecakethulhu flavoured

Despite popular opinion, the following words are NOT interchangeable:

You're - Your
They're - Their - There
Then - Than
Are - Our - Hour
I'll - Ill
We're - Where - Were
Weather - Whether
Naval - Navel
Right - Rite - Write
Sight - Site

And so on.

Post 18

Researcher U197087

There was only ever one Aphex Twin.

Not so. The other one, Tom Middleton, split from Richard James and went on to team up with Mark Pritchard to start Global Communication and myriad side projects; Rload, Jedi Knights etc.

Post 19

Researcher U197087

Also patently untrue;

"Suffolk County Cyberlibrary, funded by government as a library of the future, brings you more and better electronic library services."

More, certainly. Better? smiley - rofl I think not.

Post 20

The Groob

"Despite popular opinion, the following words are NOT interchangeable:

You're - Your"

The one in the opening post was a deliberate erorr, keeping in the spirit of the thread.

Key: Complain about this post