A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Hands up who's read The Post?

Post 1

zendevil

Us smiley - thepost reporters are mounting an increasingly vociferous & devious campaign to raise the profile of <./>thepost</.> (click on this to go there!)

At the moment, the only sign of its presence is a tiny ad so far down at the bottom of the front page, anyone who's not got diverted way before they reach it has probably got other things on their mind.

Once people join h2g2 most will go directly to their own space & only pick up on front page topics if they interest them; is my opinion.

How many of you have ever visited smiley - thepost?

It would be superb if any of you who do lurk it, could at least say you've passed by, by leaving a reply on individual columns, no need to comment, just state "I was here!". At the moment, we really can't judge how many people pass through & how we can make it the sort of paper YOU want!

smiley - ta

smiley - zensmiley - devilTerri.

Post 2

J

*puts hand up*

But only on Wednesday Nights when I'm not supposed to smiley - devil

*puts hand down*

I think I provide a link in my ACEing smiley - erm I'll have to check

smiley - blacksheep

Post 3

SomeMuppet

I know I link to it when I Ace folks

Post 4

J

I just put it in smiley - doh I did have a link to the post's clubs and societies page.

As if my ACE message isn't long enough smiley - winkeye

smiley - blacksheep

Post 5

zendevil

Yes, but Jodan, you're a Postie!

What about all these nice "normal" non-biased "ordinary" Researchers out there?

I've had so many people say to me "The What? Never heard of it!"

smiley - zensmiley - devilTerri

*hi kiltie!*

Post 6

J

smiley - biggrinsmiley - smiley

I've only seen a few people tell me they've not heard of it. Then again newbies don't like me smiley - winkeye

smiley - blacksheep

Post 7

Terran

ACE Message... Message?...smiley - winkeye

I think I need to go through the ACE rehabilitation clinic... smiley - doh

Post 8

J

Hmmmm ACE rehabilitation clinic eh? smiley - bigeyes

smiley - blacksheep is intrigued

Post 9

Terran

*Verc slaps his own hand*

Bad Verc. Very Bad Verc! smiley - doh

Post 10

Ottox

What *is* a nice "normal" non-biased "ordinary" Researcher??? smiley - yikes

smiley - tongueout

Post 11

zendevil

Why don't newbies like Jodan?

Why is Verc indulging in self abuse of his own hand?

Why has no-one "normal" replied to this thread?

Why are people convinced smiley - thepost is written by smiley - weird people?

All the answers, all the dirt, in every single edition of:

*moves Yoda from code thingy sheet*

<./>thepost</.>

smiley - zensmiley - devil*please can I have the PR job*Terri.

Post 12

J

They find me cold and uncaring

smiley - blacksheep

Post 13

zendevil

Well, you don't come across like that as far as I'm concerned. Has anyone actually said so?

zdt

Post 14

Terran

You got...replies smiley - wow

Thats what I have found to be a bit disheartening about being an ACE. All effort, and no reward. Not even a friendly smile.

I must have ACE'd about twenty or so people, and I got one reply. That person has since left h2g2.

Maybe it was something I said? smiley - erm

... anyway, lets stop making this an ACE sob story threadsmiley - doh

Who's read the flippin post! Well I have for a start.

Post 15

J

Cold and uncaring? That's my middle three names smiley - winkeye

I have since peppered my ACEing with smileys and winkeyes, and I think that helps

I know!! I ACE people all day and maybe get one reply. I've probably gotten four or five replies, but usually just 'Those are useful links'

But don't let me distract this wonderful thread smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

I rarely read the Post. Occasionally I remember, and I hop over to look at Wowbagger's wonderful cartoon, but I've never seen anything else that interested me there so I don't make it a regular feature. Most of the stuff in the Post I can't even understand!

Post 17

J

What don't you understand? smiley - smiley

Dr. Funderlik's column is a bit odd, but it's really very entertaining.

smiley - blacksheep

Post 18

sprout

I always read selected items of the Post and sometimes read the whole lot.

I particularly look out for Dr Funderlik's column, I like Awix's film reviews, I enjoyed JWF and Ormondroyd's writing. Running with scissors I like. Travelogues also. And the Baby Dr series. Probably other stuff as well.

I like humorous writing and current affairs, basically.

Sprout

Post 19

J

Hiya sprout

Lets see, my selected items I see every time are Dr Funderlik, all of the cartoons, 24 lies a second is good, Hootoo Home of Today usually, 168, Word Play and all of the Poetry. I read most articles in the post, these are just the ones I read very first smiley - smiley

I spend way too much time at the post office on Wednesdays smiley - biggrin

smiley - blacksheep

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

What don't I understand?

Well, I've just looked through today's Post, which I suppose is the one for last Thursday. There's certainly a lot in there I do understand, although much of seems to be just personal journals. But what about the following?

- There seems to be two column, one with green titles and one with blue, but I can't figure out why.

- h2g2 Life is about a wedding of some BFGs. What's a BFG? Are these people personal friends of Wowbagger or are they h2g2 people?

- Underneath the surface - there's nothing there at all. Why is the title still there if there's no content?

- WWC - a good cartoon, but what does WWC mean?

- CAC - what on earth is that all about? lots of pictures, comments, links, but what does it all mean?

- 45 Words - the editorial comment is so big and the text so small that I had great trouble figuring out what this one was about. If it is a Biography, then there should be a title telling me who it is a biography of.

- In the features section there is an article suggesting there should be a group picnic at the h2g2 Summer Party in London on Saturday. Shouldn't that suggestion be on the Summer Pary page where I might have seen it, rather than here in the Post?

I don't mean to sound grumpy with all this. I'm just explaining why I find the Post so confusing that I keep well away from it.

Key: Complain about this post