A Conversation for Ask h2g2

happy?

Post 21

Napnod the (thoughtful) little green sleep monster BSC Econ (Hons)"eek eek eek"

I think practicing at being happy can certainly engender happiness. When i was really down earlier this year I forced my self to take joy from small things, whatever they may be, even something trivial like having motivated myself to go shopping instead of putting it off again. After a while, I felt happier and didn't have to force myself so much, and now I would also describe myself as a happy person, though I still suffer from the same anxieties and stresses as before.

happy?

Post 22

azahar

hi Napnod,

I agree that there is a connection between being happy and the extent that one actively participates in one's life. Perhaps people who get stuck in routines and resist change also get disconnected from their own happiness. Or at least, the connection becomes weaker and more exterior things are required for them to experience *something*.

Just a thought. smiley - smiley

az

happy?

Post 23

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

I think you've hit that one on the head. People have been marketed into believing that happiness is going to come from accumulating things, which are by their nature temporary. I think a part of the problem is that people define themselves by their things... their jobs, relationships with other people, financial status and the property they posess. If any of that is threatened they somehow become a less valid person to themselves.

happy?

Post 24

azahar

hi MoG,

Not only are *things* temporary, but so are we! At least during this time on eardh - if we're very lucky we get about 70-80 years. Stuff like jobs, relationships, financial status, property and possessions are quite pleasant (I suppose! smiley - biggrin ) but, as you say, it's just stuff.

Something I decided about fifteen years ago was this. That I wanted to be able to get up every morning and do *exactly* what I would like to be doing that day (thinking about what sort of work and lifestyle I wanted). Okay, I know that one always has to make some sort of compromise so I may never gt to the *exactly* bit. But you know, I am getting there. Though as a result, do not have financial status, property, many possessions, etc. But you see, that has never been my focus or goal.

To do challenging and satisfying work and to be able to mostly live my life on my own terms is what I have always wanted. Wish me luck!

happily yours,
az

happy?

Post 25

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

Me temporary? Naaaaaah, part of the reason I took this job was that *I* am immortal. smiley - winkeye

I'll not only wish you luck, I'll wish you Providence and the Courage to take full advantage of it.smiley - zen

Key: Complain about this post