A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Remotely controlled

Post 1

The Menace

I've bought myself a new stereo (after listening to just one radiostation for eons because my boombox would only pick that one up from wherever in the ionosphere it came from and play it from one crackly speaker since the other died long ago)... what I'm trying to get at is that, along with an unthought of number of radiostations, I do now have a remote control as well (blessed be the advantages of modern science!!smiley - smiley) but it always happens to sit way across the room when e.g. I've just comfortably thrown myself onto the couch and want to listen to music.

How can that be?? Is it some evil plot of remote-control producers and health organizations to make me move more? Do remote-controls have a life of their own and pass their free time zapping on the stereo when I'm not around??? Has anyone of you had similar (or totally unrelated) experiences he/she'd like to share?

Remotely controlled

Post 2

Bald Bloke

They also have a great ability to hide under the cushions and I only find out when there is a cracking noise.
Closely followed by more expense getting another one

Remotely controlled

Post 3

The Menace

Strange happenings all 'round, are there?!
"Under the cushions" seems to be a real
party spot in my apartment where various
coins, chips and the infrequent HoneyNut
Loop get together and have a real good time.

Remotely controlled

Post 4

GreeboTCat

Hey... after an hour of fruitlessly searching for my tv remote... I found this great gadget afixed to the tv called an on/off button... experimentally pressing it caused my tv to come to life before my eyes... WOW smiley - bigeyes MAGIC!!!!

What will they think of next?????

Remotely controlled

Post 5

Anonymouse

Ah.. I remember those days well.. "Way back when..." erm.. "A long time ago..." erm...

"When I was a kid we had to -get up- and -walk- all the way across the -room- to turn on the set and change the channel!"

smiley - winkeye

Remotely controlled

Post 6

The Menace

After spending 3 MONTHS trying to figure out
my stove (which, btw, I have to walk up to to operate
as well - can you BELIEVE IT??) I'd say that the time
for the ULTIMATE Remote Control has come. How
'bout the remote-o-toothbrush, or, a little more useful
perhaps, the remote-o-wallpaper that you can
change with a click and according to your
mood without going through the laborous job
of replacing it...twice a day!!

Remotely controlled

Post 7

GreeboTCat

Toothbrushes??? Wallpaper??? Come on guys, use your imagination here... smiley - winkeye

How about remote controlled cars... oh... they have them!!!
Well, what about remote controlled Hi-Fi's... oh damn..
Well, how about remote controlled garage doors... hmmm...
Then there could always be remote controlled radio/telephone/cd/alarm gadget... ohhhhhhh!!! double poot!!!!

Is this whole world Remotely controlled????????

Remotely controlled

Post 8

Skyelassie

Hmm. What would happen though, if while switching through the wallpaper settings, you accidently make one side of the room flourescent green (while proceeding to blue), and the other side orange and the batteries die on your remote control? And say it's saturday evening, and there's no batteries at home, and the stores are closed on Sundays... Well then you're in a bind....

Remotely controlled

Post 9

The Menace

Remotely controlled?? The whole WORLD??? Nah, I don't think so.
In my personal opinion (ZAP!) and here's Cindy with the weatherforecast
for Zurich. Yes, John, we're looking at mostly gray and snowy skies today,
again for the second week in a row (ZAP!) which about proves my point,
right?!

Now, to something totally different. Hey Greebo, I have a question about
that ... is there a limitation to the amount of poems you can send in for that
Millennium Poetry Competition on your homepage??

Remotely controlled

Post 10

E'dalethni II

Get one remote control for evey place you usally sit in the room, and then attach a cord to them so they cannot get out of place (like they do at hotels). Then you won't have to go get the remote ever again.

I have two remotes for my VCR. I don't have them on leashes, but I make sure they stay put, and it seems to work. I never have to get up to use my VCR (unless I want to change the tapes).

Now To Something Totally Different!!!

Post 11

GreeboTCat

You can only send one poem into the Millennium Poetry Comp. So make sure it's your best one... and you got to hurry as the last day for excepting poems is November 30th... As the month of December is reserved for voting... smiley - smiley

Remotely controlled

Post 12

Anonymouse

What? 7Eleven missed a town in your area? smiley - winkeye

Remotely controlled

Post 13

Just Some Bloke

Of course, the logical place to leave the remote for your VCR would be on the VCR itself. The mnemonic link between the two items would mean you would always remember where it was. All you have to do then is go to the VCR, get the remote, go back to your chair, sit down and turn on the VCR, remember you haven't put the right tape in, walk to wherever you keep your tapes, search through every single box because you accidentally put the one you're looking for in the wrong box, walk to the VCR, insert the tape, walk back to your chair, sit down, realise you've lost the remote but now you've cut down the search space to only three areas. Makes sense to me.

Remotely controlled

Post 14

Anonymouse

Or, as an alternative, you could remove all but one recliner in the room and place all remotes in the side pocket. Threaten bodily harm to anyone besides you who sits in the chair and worse to anyone found to have touched the remotes.

'Nonniesmiley - rose

Remotely controlled

Post 15

Niz (soon to be gone)

If you have one of those universal remotes that can be programmed to work on any TV there is alot of fun to be had (childish fun that is).

Programme it to a popular make (Sony, panasonic) then go to Dixons or currys and stand outside and start flicking the channels, it drives the shop assistants nuts smiley - bigeyes

Remotely controlled

Post 16

Anonymouse

That's the only thing it would be good for. smiley - erm Those things are a good idea at the core, but they never have all the functions for which your particular model is capable. *sigh*

'Nonniesmiley - rose

Remotely controlled

Post 17

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

My advice: take a few threads, some pieces of wood and make a nice mobile out of all the remotes. Nice thing if it is hanging from the ceiling above the table in the living room. Reserve one place for the mobile phone smiley - winkeye

Remotely controlled

Post 18

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

Or do it the old fashioned way--use that mysterious on/off button and then holler for your children to come change the channel whenever necessary.

Guess I shouldn't even dare to suggest throwing the whole mess out, and discovering how much time you really do have if you aren't sucked into a TV for hours every day... smiley - smiley

Remotely controlled

Post 19

Tefkat

Just program the video to record everything you want to watch, forget to label the tapes, pile them all into a box to get them off the dining table when visitors come round and when they switch off the analogue system in 10 years time you can sit and watch all those tapes you always meant to see (by which time the remote control will be long gone - problem solved) smiley - biggrin

Remotely controlled

Post 20

Anonymouse

I'd been without a TV for about 2/3 years this last time. I fully enjoyed not having the thing around. Seems very few understand how one could actually enjoy not having one.. Dad included, since he 'kindly' bought us one for Xmas. Now it sits on top the old one and is used only on the rare occasion when I rent movies. smiley - winkeye

'Nonniesmiley - rose

Key: Complain about this post