A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Nabbing a guy

Post 21

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

That's usually the strategy I employ myself, but in this case it won't work just yet...have to let him know I exist first.smiley - smiley

Nabbing a guy

Post 22

Same here...I obsess, but express it in thoughts rather than actions.

Nabbing a guy

Post 23

BadJelly

Isn't it traditional at certain times of the year for young couples to chase each other through the forest playfully taunting each other with... you'll never catch me! you'll never catch me!, hurry up or you'll never catch me!

Nabbing a guy

Post 24

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

well... it may be common, but I don't know about traditional... and I don't do that much in southern AZ, because we have dessert instead of forest, and if you fall down laughing, you land on a cactus!

Nabbing a guy

Post 25

You could have black forest cake for dessert.

(sorry, sorry, sorry...smiley - smiley)

Nabbing a guy

Post 26

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Yum! Food!

Nabbing a guy

Post 27

Food is always good. Especially dessert. Or beef.

Ever had a Dove chocolate bar? I'm eating one right now. There is absolutely no creamier chocolate bar out there....

Nabbing a guy

Post 28

Hoovooloo

I can't help wondering how this turned out... perhaps we'll never know.

Nabbing a guy

Post 29

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

At least there was chocolate involved.

I agree that an update would be interesting.

If I think about the events that led to my own relationship, I would say that it has all been pure chance, hinged on one single decision to wait five minutes, about 26 years ago.

Nabbing a guy

Post 30

Hoovooloo

There is considerable literature available on how to snag a woman. Much of it advises things like getting a haircut, thinking harder about what you wear, joining a club or doing a sport or something to meet more people, and offers advice on what to say to open conversations.

None of this literature advises sitting at home on your own playing video games and waiting until your next door neighbour literally brings the perfect woman to your house. This, however, is how I met my wife.

I suppose I could say "being a good neighbour" was part of the prep. Good enough that when my next door neighbour was going out for the Christmas do with the other nurses in her department, she invited the placement student to come with her. She further invited the student not to bother making the 30 mile train ride home, but instead staying locally. Student thought she meant at her house, but my neighbour said no, she'd text the bloke next door and see if he (i.e. I) would be OK with the two of them staying at mine. "You can just text your neighbour and ask to stay over there! With a stranger!". "I can with this neighbour" she said, and texted me, and I said yes, and they stopped over. And I woke up next morning and came downstairs and met her in my dining room, made her bacon sarnies and a cup of tea, and the rest, as they say, is history. It's our fourth wedding anniversary tomorrow.

Nabbing a guy

Post 31

That's a good story. (congratulations)

I'm afraid the cut hair / consider dressing habits / join club mantra did have some effects in my case, but I didn't do those things with the sole purpose of being more interesting.

Boolean logic filtering can also seriously harm your chances:

IF "involved with other guy" THEN "ignore feelings"
IF "status unknown" THEN "ignore feelings"
IF "Known to be without relationship" AND "interesting" THEN "subroutine shy" AND "do nothing until mutual interest is confirmed by act of god" ELSE "do nothing"

Nabbing a guy

Post 32

Orcus

Wow, a resurrected thread that I actually remember. Some of the posters here were my earliest online friends here also.

I believe Lupa and her beau have been married 15 years with three children.

Though I might just have completely made that up smiley - winkeye

Nabbing a guy

Post 33

Orcus

Congratulations to you and your wife Hoo! Just had my fifth wedding anniversary last month myself.

As it happens when the old h2g2 went bust and the site went kaputt for a while (aka Rupert) - I met my wife during that interregnum. So we're nearly 20 years in - but didn't actually get married until 2014.

Nabbing a guy

Post 34

If you make things up anyway, it's best to give it a happy ending.

I'm heading for the 15 year marker next month.

Key: Complain about this post