A Conversation for Ask h2g2

On the origin and dispersal of language

Post 161

anhaga

One wonders out of between which cheeks the winds to which you refer blow.smiley - laugh

Post 162

anhaga

speaking of wind, check out chauncey's post at the "opinions on a war with iraq" thread: 156?thread=1569585" >F19585?thread=200429&latest=1

Post 163

RAF Wing... Lookee I'm Invisible!!

A pistol cartridge huh? Very interesting. I don't know why but I thought I should say something.

But here's the real killer.

"Quick, somebody look up a Yukatec word for "writing" and be done with this."

Okay, but it's not going to be real quick because first we have to decide which of the 30, some related, some mutually unintelligible, dialects you want to use.

Will the confusion never end?

Okay, how about Kukulcan, the Mayan equivalent of Quetzalcoatl, patron of learning? His name would probably work better for us than a pistol cartridge or a piece of heavy paper.

Can't you just imagine the scholarly debates?

"Hey look at the jugs on that Xochiquetzal in that kukulcan!!"

"That kukul-what? What's a kukulcan?"

"Sort of like Wiley Coyote and Road Runner, without the soundtrack."

"Ptah!! Really?!!! And I'll have you know those aren't jugs. Those are calendar disks, okay? They don't even look like jugs. Maybe bowls with nipples or whatever."

"Darnit! That's what I said!"

"And stop mixing up things with your nahuatl teoatl. We're confused enough already, okay?"

"Ah-cux!!!"

"I'm not the weasel. You are!"

"Ix-chel!"

"Oh, now we're back to prurient stuff. Thank you very much. Try to hold a scholarly discussion and look what happens!"

"It's not my fault everything reminds me of sex."

"What's sexy about a weasel?"

"Uh.. well... can we talk in private?"

Post 164

anhaga

I just picked Yukatec because once I had an interesting experience with a hot pepper somewhere near Uxmal. That's all I'll say about that.

What about just "writing"? But then what do we call the individual -- uh -- glyphs? They aren't letters. They aren't words. They aren't letters. They aren't words smiley - wah

did I mention smiley - sleepy?

Post 165

Yeah, go back to sleep. We can sort this out tomorrow.

Besides I've got to do a workout tape in the bedroom for the next session of New Age Tantric Sociology 101 (NATS.101), Lab hours by appointment.

Pleasant dreams!

Post 166

creachy

hi ya. some of the backlog here is LONG so i have'nt read much. bear with me if i am repeating things already said.

i heard, and i may mean read, that the devil is responsible for mankind being able to write and speak. apperantly, during his fall from heaven he ended up on earth. here he met a race of man known as the Sumarians. he taught them to develop their language and to write so as his Word could be spread faster. the sumarians dissappeared mysteriously but their knowledge was absorbed by other cultures. so there you have it. we speak, read and write thanks to satan!

Post 167

anhaga

I'd be interested in finding out your source for that suggestion, Lieutenant.

anhaga

Post 168

creachy

i think i still have it at home. i will look it up for you.

Post 169

That's nonsense, Lieutenant. It wasn't Satan who taught people to read and write, it was Quetzalcoatl. Everybody knows that. Hah!!

Post 170

creachy

well it didn't actually say satan, it said something about the fallen angel, who as we know, later became known as the devil. i still haven't found the reference but i know i have it somewhere so i will keep looking.

Post 171

I finally got the copy of the Popol Vuh a couple days ago and I've been reviewing it intensely ever since, well, maybe sort of intensely come to think of it. Let's not go overboard with the hyperbole.

What's especially striking is that some parts appear to be descriptions of what were probably the pictures in the original. This is important to understand because it gives people a clue concerning what this sort of "writing" is actually about.

I think many English speakers could appreciate a comic strip and that's what these books were and are sort of like because the picture can really tell a big story if it's drawn skillfully enough. This is sort of along the lines of the picture I decribed in my story earlier in this discussion.

Post 172

Alitnil

I just finished Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel". While it doesn't completely answer the question of language origin, it does fill in some of the pieces, and also answers a lot of other facinating questions. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't already read it.

Post 173

Hey, thanks. Now, what were we talking about again?

Post 174

COME TO THINK OF IT..

Remember, when you contribute to the Guide you are giving the BBC permission to use your contribution in a variety of ways. See the Terms of use for more information.

NOT!!!

Most of the content on h2g2 is created by h2g2's Researchers, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please click here. For any other comments, please click on the Feedback button above.

NOT!!

© BBC MMIII

COULD BE?