A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Pet Peeves

Post 17401

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I own the tree book. In my opinion, you should see it as a scrapbook of articles, short stories and anecdotes which could give you a deeper understanding / appreciation of the person / writer / activist / tech geek DNA. If I remember correctly, it also includes the hitchhiker story "Young Zaphod plays it safe" which I already knew from my Hitchhiker omnibus.

What I did gain from it was knowledge of the existence of H2G2.

All in all, I enjoyed reading it, but it didn't get as many rereads as the other DNA stuff I own

Pet Peeves

Post 17402

SashaQ - happysad

Well said Caiman raptor elk - I read the tree book a few years ago, and that was my opinion of it, yes.

PH: inaccurate descriptions of packaged food, where a product is called X with Y but there's actually more of (cheap?) substance Z that I don't like than there is of substance Y which I do like... (eg rice with tomato, which has more red pepper in it than tomato, or noodles with spinach that has more red pepper in it than spinach...)

Pet Peeves

Post 17403

Baron Grim

I have the first edition of Salmon, but I might also pick up the Kindle version after I finish reading the Dirk Gently books again. I won't be able to give you comparison soon enough to be relevant, but I would recommend getting it. It's a posthumous book, basically half a story and a collection of other writings and notes, so don't expect it to be like U42 's previous books, but if your a fan, you gotta have it anyway.

Pet Peeves

Post 17404

Baron Grim

smiley - star ^YOU'RE^ smiley - doh

Pet Peeves

Post 17405

Cheerful Dragon

Thanks for the replies. 99p isn't much to spend on a book, so I won't have lost much if I don't like it.

Pet Peeves

Post 17406

Share and enjoy!

Pet Peeves

Post 17407

Cheerful Dragon

Ah! A book that's almost, but not quite, totally unlike The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!smiley - winkeyesmiley - tongueoutsmiley - teasmiley - pggb

Pet Peeves

Post 17408

Teasswill

Today's PH: Unreliable schedules. Not only trains (Govia still leaving passengers guessing until the last minute) but now TV. Next week we have both football and tennis, so other programmes swap channels/evenings with short notice. I hate not being able to plan ahead!

Pet Peeves

Post 17409

Baron Grim

It shouldn't be long now before DVRs can compensate for when TV schedules get delayed for sprots. smiley - footballsmiley - tennisball

(I hate sprots! smiley - cross)

Pet Peeves

Post 17410

Teasswill

Today: Watering can roses. Why do they never spray evenly, but always dribble in some places & spurt in others?

Pet Peeves

Post 17411

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Yes, that annoys me too. I suspect the rose needs more pressure than gravity alone provides. A weak electric shower has the same effect; The water isn't being 'pushed' fast enough through the rose/head so it just dribbles at the lowest point. smiley - drool

Pet Peeves

Post 17412

Cheerful Dragon

Today's PH: clothing retailers who don't know the correct descriptions of skirt length. I've seen mini skirts that are almost knee length, maxi skirts that are calf length and midi skirts that come just below the knee. M&S are a major offender in this area, but there are others who do it. If I'm looking for a midi skirt I want it to be calf length, not knee length or ankle length. And if I was fool enough to want a mini skirt (my legs don't look as good as they used to), I'd want it to end well above my knees.

Pet Peeves

Post 17413

Never had problems with skirt sizes myself (Being male and not of the Scottish persuasion)

Other fashion related PH: Prefabricated holes in jeans. The only advantage is that if the kids wear through their jeans at the knees, they can keep wearing them longer than they used to.
In my opinion, the sole purpose of jeans is to protect you from the environment, and to protect the environment from having to look at your bare/white/hairy knees.

Pet Peeves

Post 17414

Cheerful Dragon

In addition to the above, websites that don't differentiate between a skirt and a dress. I visited the website of a company whose online ads I've seen, looking for a skirt. There were about three skirts among the products that came up. The rest were dresses. They probably had the word "skirt" somewhere in the description, so it's a search engine problem. Needless to say, I won't be buying from them.

Pet Peeves

Post 17415

Teasswill

That's akin to one of my earlier PH. Saying a skirt is 'knee length' depends on the length of your legs. Tell me the exact length so I can measure on myself. Or dress length - where is it measured from - shoulder/collar/neckline?
I have learnt that if the model shown is described as a certain height, to gauge where the hemline might be on me.

Don't get me started on leg wear with more hole than fabric!

Pet Peeves

Post 17416

Cheerful Dragon

Put your hand behind your neck and feel at the base of your neck. There's a vertebra sticking out. That's where dress length is measured from. At least, it was when my mum did dressmaking.

Pet Peeves

Post 17417

ITIWBS

Curious, the nape of my neck isn't sticking out quite as far as it used to.

Perhaps the physical therapy for osteo-arthritis is doing some good I hadn't looked for.

Pet Peeves

Post 17418

Pink Paisley

When the little claw things in the centre of a CD tray break off.

I buy a lot of 2nd hand CDs and it's common for me to open the case and be showered with broken claws. Clear plastic seems to be worse than grey, white or black.

PP.

Pet Peeves

Post 17419

For some DVD cases they have overcome this problem by making the claws so strong it is nigh impossible to remove the disc at all.

Pet Peeves

Post 17420

Reality Manipulator

My petty hate is hot, humid, sunny weather with no cool breeze and a high pollen count.

Key: Complain about this post