A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 17081

Teasswill

There are also those loos that flush automatically when they detect you've arisen from the seat. For those who move a lot or hover, that can be an issue...

Petty Hates

Post 17082

Pink Paisley

Hover!?

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 17083

ITIWBS

Auto-flush systems shouldn't operate until one has left the stall.

One of the consequences of a premature flush is unflushed waste left in the commode.

Petty Hates

Post 17084

Teasswill

But in a busy facility, the flush needs to operate ASAP ready for the next occupant.

Actually automatic operation reminds me of another one - light switches on a timer that are not set long enough and are too far to reach from seated...

Petty Hates

Post 17085

Baron Grim

One of my college teachers shared his story about the time he was allowed access to "the stacks" at The Library of Congress" for a research project he was doing. (On dandelions, if I recall correctly). He was down in a seldom accessed room deep below ground level when the lights suddenly went out. His mind quickly went to the Twilight Zone scenario of him being the last man alive after a nuclear attack on Washington, DC. He saw himself as the Burgess Meredith character, but fortunately, he didn't wear glasses at the time. Then he remembered the brief instruction on the timed light switches he was given earlier. He said it still took him quite some time to find the door and light switch in the pitch darkness several floors underground.

Petty Hates

Post 17086

ITIWBS

PH: male under shorts with the 'y slit' cut up around the level of the navel rather than down in the crural region where it needs to be.*

This is possibly a problem arising from untutored or unadvised feminine design, same principle as men trusted with design of brassieres tend to cut the shoulder straps too short, placing the cups too high.

*For example, with "Fruit of the Loom" men's cotton shorts.

Petty Hates

Post 17087

Bluebottle

What I call Ghoul stones ('cos it sounds a bit like gallstones, but obviously is completely different).

These are phantom, ghostlike stones that are definitely 100% in your shoe, yet when you take your shoe off and check the inside of the shoe, the insole, the outside of your sock, the inside of your sock, your foot and the bottom of the shoe to find the stone, there's no trace of it anywhere, it has spookily vanished off the face of the smiley - earth. Yet when you put your sock and shoe back on, yep, there's that gurt big stone again.smiley - ghost

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17088

Icy North

Maybe you have bone spurs?

Petty Hates

Post 17089

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Nah, I've had that happen to me too.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 17090

ITIWBS

Maybe a small burr or even a wrinkle in the sole of a sock?

Petty Hates

Post 17091

Teasswill

I know what Bluebottle means - it's often something that moves about in the shoe. I've sometimes had to have a couple of tries before evicting the culprit.

Petty Hates

Post 17092

Icy North

It's The Princess And The Pea told in a modern idiom.

Petty Hates

Post 17093

ITIWBS

...a seed or a small glass or plastic bead...

Petty Hates

Post 17094

Reality Manipulator

My petty hate are songs that you cannot hardly understand the lyrics of the song and songs that give me ear worm.

Petty Hates

Post 17095

Deb

I've been listening to Pink's latest album and I was sure she was singing about her "Perfect white bottom" until I read the lyrics & realised it was her "Perfect rock bottom" smiley - rofl

I usually end up with Deck the Halls as an earworm - whatever the time of year. It just pops into my head on a regular basis and is pretty annoying.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Petty Hates

Post 17096

Baron Grim

http://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/imagebuzz/web03/2010/12/7/9/alanis-morissettes-cross-eyed-bear-7410-1291733575-7.jpg

smiley - laugh

Petty Hates

Post 17097

hammondorgan

Dental hygienists! I've just had a filling replaced £56, then they ask If I want to book an appointment with the dental hygienist for another £50, honest I brush floss and mainline Listerine every day, Clifford is my best mate! I'm not getting conned like that, I'm too long in the tooth!

Petty Hates

Post 17098

ITIWBS

If they ask îf they càn excise a little of the gum, walk out and call the cops.

Petty Hates

Post 17099

Baron Grim

I went over twenty years without visiting the dentist; not because of fear but suspicion. Decades ago I saw an investigative report on TV where the reporter visited 50 dentists in 50 states, after getting his personal dentist to give him a very thorough exam. His baseline showed he had a minor cavity and a minor cracked tooth. His estimates ranged all the way up to $20,000 and that one didn't even catch the cracked tooth.

I wasn't experiencing any pain or believed I had any cavities or anything other than some stains. But I knew I was well overdue so I went to a dentist on the recommendation of a friend who had led me to an excellent mechanic. I was not surprised they had to remove a LOT of plaque (debridement is a scary word). But I was quite surprised by the number of cavities the dentist found in all quadrants of my mouth. He scheduled me for three appointments to fill the cavities by quadrant, combining two for the last appointment. I only made it to the first two as despite having no pain issues before I now had some serious pain and trouble chewing hard foods. My insurance changed as well, so I was needing to find a new dentist anyway. When I did, guess what they found?

NO CAVITIES! I now suspect that first dentist not only ripped me off, he ruined my teeth. I still have some sensitivity chewing hard foods with my right molars. He Arthur, Arthured* me! He practically Marathon Manned* me!

I did have to have my dentist shave down some of the previous dentist's fillings over a couple more visits to relieve some of the pain I was experiencing.

I now visit my new dentist regularly, but I do feel absolutely justified in my suspicions. smiley - cross

*Do NOT watch either the Tom Conti film, _Arthur, Arthur!_ or the Dustin Hoffman film, _Marathon Man_ before going to a dentist. They'll put you right off ever going again.

Petty Hates

Post 17100

Teasswill

I don't go nearly as often as they suggest - just had my second reminder. As I have a dentist I trust, I do like to go for a checkup. Quite often nothing needs doing.

PH today - alarm not going off. Don't know why. seems all OK. Rush, rush to squeeze my usual 80 mins getting up & out into half the time. Still, I did benefit from extra sleep...

Key: Complain about this post