A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 16921

Cheerful Dragon

Aside from which, it would be boring if we were all slime. But then, would we care that it was boring if slime was our natural state? Does slime experience boredom?

Petty Hates

Post 16922

Icy North

If it ever does, it can always run for president.

Petty Hates

Post 16923

Cheerful Dragon

My Petty Hates for today so far:

1. Amazon has changed the way it does recommendations. In the past​ you had the options to say that you weren't interested in a recommendation, or you already owned it. This would remove the item from the list. Amazon has taken this facility away, so I'm stuck with a long list of products and no way to reduce it to things I'm actually interested in.

2. Yesterday I tried to contact EE customer services from a landline. You navigate to the appropriate person via a series of menus. I ended up going round and round the menus without ever speaking to an actual person. In the end I gave up, which is probably what they want.

Petty Hates

Post 16924

Cheerful Dragon

Now I'm totally confused. I was already signed in to Amazon when I did my previous post. After posting I went to "Improve your recommendations", which asked me to sign in. I was already signed in! After signing in again, I had the old style recommendations page!?!
smiley - huh If I'm already signed in to make purchases, surely I'm signed in for all other purposes. This is going from Petty Hate to grumpfest.smiley - cross

Petty Hates

Post 16925

Icy North

Sounds like a problem with their federated identity management.

Petty Hates

Post 16926

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

PH; phone apps that reset or change your preferences whenever they update, especially when they re-tick the notifications options. Fact; I don't *ever* want social media to notify me about anything. I check the blasted things often enough to be able to see who has posted what, when I want. It's really irritating and insulting to their users when they do that. You should only ever need to set your app preferences once for the life of the device it is used on.

Apart from anything else, my phone uses the same notification sound for everything so I keep thinking I've got a text message, when in fact a friend of a friend of a friend has just posted an smiley - ok to a comment smiley - cross Yeah, i really needed to be notified about that.

Petty Hates

Post 16927

Baron Grim

smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 16928

Deb

I really wish I could set facebook to only show me things my friends have actually commented on, rather than everything they liked. I also wish it had a "take me to the posts that have been added since I last logged on" button, so I don't have to trawl through old stuff that I've already seen but somebody else has liked.

My real petty hate in that respect is that I'm too nosey to be able to just not look in the first place smiley - rofl

Deb smiley - cheerup

Petty Hates

Post 16929

Baron Grim

The list of petty hates regarding Facadebook is quite lengthy.

A constant one for me is the inability to hide an individual post without being prompted to report it, block the poster or source, etc.

Maybe, the post is just a bit racy for my work computer and I just want to hide it. Maybe, it's politics and I just don't want to see it. Maybe it's sad...

Petty Hates

Post 16930

Bluebottle

Meeting someone famous, only for no-one you know to have ever heard of them.
Last week I met Alex Winters, former CBeebies presenter.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 16931

Icy North

Me neither.

But I have heard of you, if that helps?

Petty Hates

Post 16932

Baron Grim

Not to be confused with Alex Winter, AKA Bill S. Preston, esquire, noted member of Wyld Stallyns from San Dimas, California.

EXCELLENT!

Petty Hates

Post 16933

You can call me TC

OK here comes the ultimate first world problem: Why do hotels provide notices to hang on the door with "do not disturb" on the one side and "please make up room" on the other? I have seen these turned round and even noticed on returning to our room that ours has been turned round.

Petty Hates

Post 16934

Icy North

That's due to a freak of linguistics. 'Do not disturb' actually means 'Please make up room' in Tagalog.

Petty Hates

Post 16935

Teasswill

I've wondered about those signs, as they usually come in anyway, so why have both signs? I suspect the turning round is someone playing a prank. My only other thought is that you especially want the room cleaned because you've made a messs... smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 16936

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok Baron Grim - EXCELLENT indeed smiley - laugh

FB notifications are my petty hate, too - sometimes I get notified about a very petty thing, and then other times I've received something quite important and didn't get a notification until after I found it randomly myself...

I thought the Please Make Up Room one might be to indicate to the cleaners that you're out early, so your room can be done first, but they do seem to work more methodically than that...

The last hotel I stayed in had tags with Do Not Disturb on one side, and Guests Sleeping on the other side smiley - laugh Weirdly someone found a random tag and put it on my door after I had gone out, so the room wasn't made up and I had to disturb the receptionist that night to get some help. The staff were very good about it, and properly thorough even though all I wanted was help making the bed.

Petty Hates

Post 16937

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

I hate clocks!!!! smiley - wah

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16938

Baron Grim

AAAND... one of they neighbors is firing off more fireworks... on the 8th of July. smiley - headhurtssmiley - cross

Petty Hates

Post 16939

Cheerful Dragon

Here in the UK we have the same problem with 5th of November (Guy Fawkes Day). Some people celebrate the weekend before, some the weekend after, some on the day itself. Whichever they do, there's noise and inconvenience for the people nearby, and a lot of upset and disturbed pets.

Petty Hates

Post 16940

Pink Paisley

Not a petty hate for me since I have no pets and love fireworks, but there's also Xmas, New Year, birthdays, weddings and other festivals religious and non-religious when fireworks are set off.

There are now permanent firework shops.

PP.

Key: Complain about this post