A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 16841

Cheerful Dragon

Additional Petty Hate: the MS Brain Fog that stops me reading descriptions. I've just been back to the website I bought my cuff from. The description actually says 'arm cuff', so it must be meant to go above the elbow. However, the images don't show it being worn, so it isn't obvious.

So I still need my wrist bracers.

Petty Hates

Post 16842

Teasswill

The description wasn't sufficiently obvious then!

Yes, I hate poor information about items online too. Even if there's a picture of someone wearing/using/carrying the item, you can't always be sure of the size.

I rather envy you in steampunk. Rather like the look, but can't see any opportunity for me to do it!

Petty Hates

Post 16843

You can call me TC

For my 3-year-old grandson I thought I'd get a fold-away football goal, for playing indoors or out, about 1m high. There were some nice ones, but as we are going to have to fit it in a case to take to the US, I really needed to know the size folded up, not opened out! I bought the ones that gave the packaway size, not even bothering with the ones that didn't give any details of how big they were when folded up.

PH of today: all the reps came again for a conference and you have to remember how to greet them all. This time it seemed to work with left cheek-right cheek-left cheek. That covered Belgium Switzerland and the Netherlands. (will make a note of that smiley - biro)The French are more formal, handshake only, and the English come in for a bear hug. (Yes - I was surprised, too, especially as most of them are Northerners)

Petty Hates

Post 16844

Icy North

I think I'll suggest that for the local football team. They can fold it away when they lose possession.

Petty Hates

Post 16845

Sho - employed again!

Gruesome #1 orders clothes online from Impericon. They have a picture of the item on an actual person - all different people. They say "Jenny is wearing the t-shirt in size M, she's 1m60 tall"
It's really useful

Petty Hates

Post 16846

Cheerful Dragon

M&S do something similar, but their models always seem to be above average height.smiley - erm

There's an American t-shirt company called The Mountain that has an unusual way of giving size information. Instead of saying something like "XL fits 44 - 46 inch chest" they do pictures of t-shirts with the width across the front of the t-shirt. By doubling the width you decide what size you need depending on how loose a fit you want. I love their t-shirts for two reasons. They have some unusual designs on them and, being a US company, I can buy a size smaller than usual - always a morale booster!smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 16847

Cheerful Dragon

Since this is the Petty Hate thread, here's my current one: having a cold. It started slowly and has passed through the various stages to become​a streaming cold. I'm using paper tissues like there's no tomorrow and wishing I had shares in Kleenex.

Years ago our GP told my mum that a cold lasts a week if you treat it and seven days if you don't. That may be true under normal circumstances but my messed up immune system means that I'll probably have this for at least a fortnight.smiley - sadface

I'm off to bed where I'll curl up and feel sorry for myself.

Petty Hates

Post 16848

Baron Grim

(Back to steampunk)

I'm fortunate, as Galveston has a weekend in December celebrating Dickens and the Victorian era. Galveston was quite the town then and the strand area dates back to that age. Dickens on the Strand is a perfect opportunity to dress in steampunk garb. I also spend a couple of weekends at the Texas Renaissance Festival and usually split my days between steampunk and my kilt.

I made my own leather arm guard with a brass sundial.

I word of warning, arm guards/bracers can be rather uncomfortable. As forearms are basically conical, it will ride down on your wrist. At least mine does. The tendons of my thumb tend to get sore.

Petty Hates

Post 16849

Cheerful Dragon

BG, I have a bone spur on my right wrist. My wrist cuff will probably be above that, so if anything gets rubbed it will be the​ spur. Thanks for the advice.

Petty Hates

Post 16850

Cheerful Dragon

A steampunk related PH - people who don't know what they're talking about in product descriptions. I'm looking for props to go with my steampunk outfit. I wanted a small astrolabe or a small sextant. I'm amazed by how many people don't know the difference between an astrolabe and a sundial or a sextant. Maybe I'll just go for the sextant. There doesn't seem to be much doubt about those.smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 16851

Baron Grim

There's a great vendor at our Ren Fest who specializes in arcane timepieces. I bought a real astrolabe from her a couple of years ago. It was an upgrade for a decorative one I bought the previous year. She gave me full credit, fortunately. I spent a lot for it.

One of these days I might even learn how to use it.

Guess who literally wrote the book on astrolabes...

Geoffrey smiley - bleeping Chaucer!

I also bought a "ring" on a chain from her. It's two pieces, an inner copper ring rotates. Along the outer ring are marks indicating the month. You rotate the copper section to match with the current month and hold the ring by the chain. There's a pinhole in the copper and when you line it up with the sun, a bright spot will shining on the inside of the ring will indicate the time. It's a sundial variation.

Petty Hates

Post 16852

ITIWBS

Fascinating!

Pictures of the time ring?

Petty Hates

Post 16853

Baron Grim

I might try to set up my photo table and take some pics of my various timepieces. smiley - eureka

Petty Hates

Post 16854

Teasswill

Todays PH - cotton bed linen. Looked lovely when it was fresh out of the pack. Now it's all creased. I am NOT going to iron bed linen....

Petty Hates

Post 16855

Baron Grim

ITIWBS, here's a link to the type of sundial ring I have.

It's called an Aquitaine Sundial Ring.

http://sci-why.blogspot.com/2011/09/eleanor-of-aquitaine-sundial.html

Petty Hates

Post 16856

Cheerful Dragon

I'll have to try to find one of those. One aspect of my steampunk persona is an interest in time and space. A ring sundial would be a conversation piece.

Petty Hates

Post 16857

Baron Grim

And they're much cheaper and easier to use than a real astrolabe. smiley - laugh

Petty Hates

Post 16858

Cheerful Dragon

I found a sundial ring pendant. It's made by a Canadian company and costs $40. I've seen it on Amazon UK with prices ranging from about £90 to well over £100. Even allowing for shipping costs, somebody's having a laugh.smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 16859

Pink Paisley

The use of the term 'individuals' or 'individual' when the speaker means 'people' or 'person'.

It may be because of where I work, but the term 'individual' when applied to a person has pejorative connotations.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 16860

SashaQ - happysad

I second that - 'individuals' has negative connotations for me, too.

I see it in things like 'people who care for disabled individuals', subtly dehumanising and 'othering'...

Key: Complain about this post