A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 16701

Cheerful Dragon

I know that fat is an important part of a balanced diet, but it's also possible to have too much of it.

There was a programme some time ago that looked at whether too much fat or too much sugar was worse. A pair of identical twins spent a period of time eating different diets. One had no sugar of any kind, the other had no fat of any kind. I can't remember all the problems the diets caused, but the twin on the fat-free diet had difficulty eating enough to feel full and the one on the sugar-free diet was on the verge of Type 2 diabetes.

Too much fat can be as bad as too much sugar. I prefer moderation in both.

Petty Hates

Post 16702

Pastey

Too much of anything isn't good for you.

Hangovers prove this.

smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 16703

Baron Grim

Even more so, hyperoxia proves this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

Petty Hates

Post 16704

ITIWBS

Hear! Hear!smiley - ok

The three essential fatty acids one has to have for good health are linoleic acid, linolenic acid and arachidonic acid.

The first is easily supplied from seeds and nuts generally, from wheat germ to peas and beans to coconut.

Linolenic acid is derived primarily from leafy greens.

Arachidonic acid is abundantly supplied from any animal derived foodstuff, including dairy and royal jelly.

http://www.scienzavegetariana.it/medici/essentialfat.html

Fats are composed of a fatty acid combined chemically with glycerine, which is derived from sugars and can be treated as a 3 carbon form of sugar.

Petty Hates

Post 16705

Deb

CD, that was Chris & Xand van Tullekin http://www.bbcactive.com/BBCActiveIdeasandResources/SugarvFatHorizonasksWhichisWorse.aspx

Can I just say, I would be willing to give up both fat & sugar in exchange for one of those guys smiley - droolsmiley - biggrin

Deb smiley - cheerup

Petty Hates

Post 16706

SashaQ - happysad

Yeah, it's more complicated than that programme made out...

I worry a lot about food, but the important thing is for me to eat when I'm hungry... Moderation is a good word.

Petty Hates

Post 16707

Pastey

I have a theory that your body craves the foodstuff that contain what it needs.
I tend to eat when I'm hungry, and eat what I crave. And I'm pretty healthy.

More so when I get time to exercise my drinking off smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 16708

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

Dealing with companies over the phone

I canceled a life assurance policy in which I was a benefactor in December
the policy was one you paid into monthly and every few (10 or so) years it would pay out a sum of money
It was set up for me as a young child and my grandmother had been paying the monthly sum, now a payment was made to me as surrender of the policy which with gran's blessing I split with my younger sister who did not have such a policy for many reasons

now they keep writing to me to tell me they think they owe me more which is lovely but.... they dont seem to be doing much to actually sort it out

Petty Hates

Post 16709

Baron Grim

PH Life insurance policies for children.

When I was in grade school, they would send us home with these scary brochures for our parents pushing life insurance policies. Gerber, the baby food company, is a big player in this business.

This is such a gruesome industry. Life insurance is most appropriate for someone who is earning money for the family, to ameliorate the financial loss to the dependents. Buying a life insurance policy on a child is like a wager they'll die.

Yeah, I'm aware that these policies cover funereal costs, but it's much wiser to put the money for premiums away in an emergency fund, ideally an interest earning account.

Petty Hates

Post 16710

Pink Paisley

It has been said that a life insurance policy is a bet that you win by dying.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 16711

Pink Paisley

Those stupid vinegar decanter thingies with a stopper that you have to manipulate whilst tipping the decanter.

I get no vinegar or enough vinegar to pickle my chips.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 16712

Cheerful Dragon

The term "life insurance". At the risk of being a pedant, this is just wrong. You insure against something that might happen. Death is guaranteed, sooner or later. The correct term is life *assurance*, but nobody ever uses it.

Petty Hates

Post 16713

Sho - employed again!

PH today and every other day (triggered because I've just seen it used here and in 3 other places!!): cuppa.

I loathe it.

Petty Hates

Post 16714

ITIWBS

smiley - smileysmiley - tongueoutSometimes, I make that a 'coupla' smiley - coffeesmiley - coffee.

...which reminds me, smiley - biggrin its time for my morning smiley - cappuccino.smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 16715

Baron Grim

I'm not fond of cuppas myself but cupolas are cool.

http://youtu.be/KSzuiqVjJg4

*featuring one of my heroes, Don Pettit.

Petty Hates

Post 16716

Cheerful Dragon

Brain fog.

This colloquialism is well known to people with MS, anybody who's too young to suffer senior moments and anyone with the wrong hair colour for blonde moments.

Lat night I couldn't find my tablets when I went to bed. I was sure that I'd put them on my bedside table on Sunday night. I spent time searching for them and went to bed worried about whether my mind was going. I searched again this morning and eventually found them - in the pocket of a pair of trousers in the laundry basket. I'd put them in my pocket on Sunday and forgot to take them out when I went to bed.smiley - rolleyes

All this has taught me one thing: check pockets *before* putting clothes in the laundry basket.smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 16717

Teasswill

Bus shelters with a gap at the bottom.
I daresay it's to make cleaning easier, but it makes for very cold ankles when standing inside.

Petty Hates

Post 16718

Bluebottle

And they often put bus stops at the bottom of a hill just where a puddle gathers so that when cars go by you get splashed - and even the shelters mean your feet still get wet.smiley - grr

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 16719

You can call me TC

The latest windows update. After demolishing the Media Player, which was quite satisfactory for playing DVD's on my laptop, it introduced the DVD player which was not as good, but at least you could watch DVD's. I had started watching the film "Lincoln" with Daniel Day-lewis as the DVD was going fairly cheap. Then the update was installed and there was no longer a program for running films in the DVD-drive.

Anyway, I downloaded VLC and watched the end of the film this evening.

Which leads me to a question. I think I'll start a new thread for that, though.

Petty Hates

Post 16720

ITIWBS

SPH: There seems to be an unwritten law that all software upgrades must be less efficient and more dysfunctional than their earlier versions.

Key: Complain about this post