A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 16661

Baron Grim

I was correct.

I just saw the announcement about it.

Petty Hates

Post 16662

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Possibly something to do with the switch announced recently in tht "Switching to secure http" thread A85834173

Petty Hates

Post 16663

Cheerful Dragon

I've complained about not being able to book an eye check appointment when I need to. Before that I complained about being put on a waiting list for an eye check. I've just received a letter giving me an appointment as a result of being on the waiting list. It's in three weeks. Given the fact that I was diagnosed with uveitis a month ago, I don't want to think how bad it would have been if I'd waited.

I'll cancel the appointment. There's no reason to attend and someone else can have it. With any luck I'll have an appointment at Kidderminster in a few months. It's not as convenient as the local hospital, but at least there's no waiting list.

Petty Hates

Post 16664

Pastey

Nipping back to the images/shttp thing, it's always been a PH of mine when things are rolled out live without proper testing.

Usually happens when someone's tried to make a quick knee-jerk fix to a non-serious issue, and ends up breaking more than they've fixed.

As a side note on this, if I remember rightly, the images for the site are hosted and served from a different server than the code for the pages.

Petty Hates

Post 16665

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Collectivism.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16666

Pink Paisley

You're on your own with that petty hate.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 16667

smiley - laugh

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16668

ITIWBS

'Devil's Workshop' theorist opponents of the 2nd industrial revolution.

Petty Hates

Post 16669

Cheerful Dragon

I should have posted this at the weekend because that's when it happened: pedestrians and weekend cyclists who either don't know the Highway Code or think that it doesn't apply to them. We encountered pedestrians walking on the wrong side of the road and cyclists riding 2+ abreast on narrow country roads. Some cyclists were reluctant to ride single file so we could pass them and we got some dirty looks as if a car had no right to use the road when there were cyclists around. We always kept a safe distance from them and never tried to pass when it wasn't safe to do so.

Having complained about cyclists, there's one pair I'd like to praise. They were happy to ride single file on a narrow, bendy road. The one at the back warned us of oncoming traffic so we wouldn't try to pass when it wasn't safe, and waved us on when it was safe to pass. A lot of cyclists gave a bad impression last weekend. That pair restored the balance.

Petty Hates

Post 16670

Cheerful Dragon

On a lighter note: skinny fit suits. There are few men they look good on, the rest look like they're trying to squeeze into a suit that's at least one size too small.

I blame David Tennant.smiley - tardis

Petty Hates

Post 16671

Bluebottle

In case anyone was wondering, the Highway Code for pedestrians says:
'If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light and keep close to the side of the road.
It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.'

http://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-pedestrians-1-to-35

Cycling two abreast down a narrow, twisting country lanes – especially ones with banks and high hedges on either side so you can't see what's round the corners, is just asking for trouble…

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 16672

ITIWBS

Walking along unlit country roads after dark, I personally make it a habit to carry a small flashlight, turning it on, pointed at the ground in front of me (not in an oncoming driver's eyes) in the event of motor traffic coming my way, besides, where practical, walking on the side of the road facing oncoming traffic, the left hand side of the road in the USA.

Modern LED flashlights are a great improvement for the purpose.

PH: bicyclists and equestrians riding after dark along roadways without lights or reflectors.

Even though required by law for bicyclists they're often omitted.

Though not required by law for equestrians, a common sense point people should think of.

Petty Hates

Post 16673

Teasswill

What I hate is the cycle paths on the 'wrong' side of the road or people cycling/running on an adjacent path in the opposite direction with bright lights shining straight out instead of down on the ground.

Petty Hates

Post 16674

Baron Grim

Cyclists are considered vehicles here (Texas specifically) and are allowed to ride 2 abreast keeping to the right side of the roadway (unless making a left turn).

Petty Hates

Post 16675

Cheerful Dragon

Cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast here in the UK. It's just that the Highway Code advises riding single file on busy or narrow roads. Our town roads are narrower than the ones you have in the States, so single file is essential in towns. Some cyclists seem to ignore the advice about single file on narrow roads - or they don't know about it, which is worse in a way.

Petty Hates

Post 16676

Baron Grim

We have plenty of idiotic cyclists here. We even have a monthly onslaught of them in many major cities called Critical Mass. I checked it out for myself a couple of times a few years ago in Houston. I estimate that there were around 2500 cyclists in one ride. They take up the entire roadway and run red lights en masse blocking cross traffic for up to 20 minutes. Their stated purpose is to promote cyclist awareness and encourage motorists to share the roads, but they actually enrage motorists, many of whom are ragey enough already.

On the second CM I rode in, I pointedly stopped at all red lights (with cross traffic, I admit if there clearly isn't any cross traffic I don't stop). I stayed far off to the right side to avoid being hit from behind by the crowd of riders. At one point a driver got out of his car in the middle of a blocked intersection and tried to physically block or knock riders off their bikes, myself included. (I actually had the green light.) I'll never ride in the Houston CM again. They are truly doing more harm than good. Any online discussion regarding cyclists in Houston devolves quickly into arguments about such rides with many motorists suggesting such riders should be ran over.

Petty Hates

Post 16677

Icy North

I'm surprised they don't suggest hunting them with assault rifles.

Petty Hates

Post 16678

Wouldn't be poetic enough.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16679

Orcus

Hmm, yet another internet thread where motorists who've never tried cycling see everything only from their viewpoint smiley - facepalmsmiley - yawn

You know, sometimes cyclists will 'take the lane' -often by deliberately cycling two abreast to prevent inappropriate overtaking. It's also actually easier to overtake cyclists cycling abreast than in a long single file column.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/chris-boardman-explains-why-cyclists-ride-two-abreast-in-new-safety-video-187215

Personally I don't really approve of the underlying implication that the motorist has more right to the road than the cyclists. This is absolutely not the case. Certainly it's polite to move across to let faster moving traffic through but it is by no means an obligation and if a car is breathing down my neck and tailgating me in an intimidating fashion then - pfft - no sympathy.
I will quite happily wave traffic on when it's safe in the situation allows but I will also block from overtaking similarly when it's unsafe to do so.

>>We always kept a safe distance from them and never tried to pass when it wasn't safe to do so.<<

Doesn't sound like they felt this to be the case - and this is the refrain I've heard from motorists convicted of very serious motoring offneces. It is really those on the receiving end of a 1 ton metal beast's threat that should really be the judge of that I think.
Having said that, it sounds like the cyclists you came across you liked approved so maybe, in which case smiley - ok
Patience is the key - it seems to be hard wired into many motorists' that their journey is somehow 'more important' because they are in a car.

The most important thing is that everybody arrives home safely and you have a responsibility to make sure you do not injure people when in any form of vehicle. As the potential to cause death and destruction goes up so does the responsibility. Peds and cyclists are the most vulnerable and since we are ALL human (peds, cyclists, horse riders, skateboarders, rollerskaters, motorists) - an we ALL make errors of judgement from time to time then that doesn't really deserve a death sentence. SLOW DOWN - your journey is not so important that it should end someone else's life. Even if they are a pesky 'cyclist' smiley - rolleyes
I include cyclists in that too - flying about at 20 mph on shared paths isn't too sociable either.
Though the Swindon great bus queue massacre of 2012 caused by a dangerous cyclist never happened. (I made that up - point is many MANY more people are injured on paths by motor cars than cyclists every year).

Probably not so much on country lanes but in urban traffic cycling is FAR quicker on average than driving. If I had a pound for every time a car over took me when I'm cycling to work only to find themselves just at the back of the next stationary queue a bit quicker then I'd be a very rich man. This must happen dozens of time every day. Sometimes it's done in a very aggressive and dangerous manner.
My 5 mile commute use to take about 40 min to an hour when driving - exactly the same journey by bicycle takes me 18-25 minutes depending on weather, traffic and the phases of the lights. This not just occasionally, it's every time. I drove this route for 8 years before I started cycle commuting 4 years ago. That is a LOT faster on average. And I am not cycling in some sort of unusual place - just an average town in average traffic.

Motorists are very much under a false impression that they are faster in the urban situation. No they are not. So we could cycle four abreast in an urban situation - I'm sure that would cause much ire - but it would make no difference whatsoever to the motorists as they would simply join the queues in the same place and wait just a little less time in them. I have lost faith in the intelligence of most motorists observing this over the last four years.

Couldn't agree more about critical mass mind you - enraging the motoring community (who indeed seem already to be angry enough) is not really the way forward.

Come on hootoo you are too intelligent to be going down this tired and ignorant route of cyclist demonisation.

Petty Hates

Post 16680

Orcus

Final thought.

If a cyclist really *is* an idiot.

What solution? Put them in a car. Yay smiley - facepalm

Key: Complain about this post