A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 7241

Thorn

smiley - applause I second that.
Also smiley - laugh those ones people leave you saying "it's me (but not their name)." You find yourself going "Who the smiley - bleep is me???" while trying to sort it out based on whose voice you think it sounds like that you can remember.

Petty Hates

Post 7242

toybox

I knew a Chinese guy called Yu, and once he met some other Chinese called Mi. He was wondering what sort of surrealistic dialogue could have occurred:

- Hello, I am Yu. And you?
- I am Mi.

- Hey there, are you Mi?
- No, I am Yu. He is Mi.

Petty Hates

Post 7243

Thorn

That would be an interestingly awkward conversation.

Petty Hates

Post 7244

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

"You have won a prize!!"

Come to Amsterdam 1771 to collect it............

Pizzzoffffff!!!!!!!!!!!

smiley - biggrin
GT

Petty Hates

Post 7245

Thorn

When you get lonely, but it's in a crowded room full of people.
It's full of people, so what the heck?!

Petty Hates

Post 7246

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

When you enter a room full of people you know.....

But no-one you would like to meet....

smiley - erm
GT

Petty Hates

Post 7247

Thorn

That's a good one too.
smiley - flustered

Petty Hates

Post 7248

Bright Blue Shorts

I've moaned about charity sacks before ... already had a total of three this year ... but what's really got my goat is that I got the second one of the year from the National Children's Blind Society today ...

How do I know it's their second? Because the other one and five of last year's are still in a pile sticking out from under my doormat where I left them to collect them empty a month ago ...

Petty Hates

Post 7249

anne-o-mally

Change of petty hate (sorry BBS)

I hate paperwork - although I recognise it has a big part to play in my work - it is definitely not the mainstay of my work. That is the actual, hands on, physical care of people, & I pride myself on that, but that is not an actual area that is measured in the Govt. Numbers.

Therefore I feel I give the patients what they need, although that is not neccessary what the govt. measures as success. I feel like I'm bucking against the system, but with good intentions.

Who is right here? Because i'm bucking against the system, I feel I'm wrong, but the results with patients say otherwise.

Basically my job becomes a compromise I do not want to make, & feel I should not make, but paperwork holds me back.

Should I continue, or get a new job? This is a hard question to ask, but I feel it has to be asked. Any other careers sugested?
Yours, anne

Petty Hates

Post 7250

Deb

BBS: I was a bit disgruntled at the weekend to have to put an actually purchased bin bag into my kitchen bin. I used to use carrier bags but since bags for life I never have any, and all year so far I've been using charity bags, which are absolutely perfect for the purpose. But I've had none for over a week now.

Twice I've left charity bags out with textiles in. And twice I've had to bring them back in and take them to a charity shop myself (which I would normally do anyway). There's no way I'd ever bother putting them out again. I wonder how many other people feel the same, and how much of a waste of the charity's money it is.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Petty Hates

Post 7251

Bright Blue Shorts

Anne - difficult one. Would it be different overseas or in a private organisation?

Deb - I use the sacks for bathroom binliners but I just don't accumulate that much in there. I don't find them big enough for the kitchen bin.

I guess it's only a small proportion of the charity's money used. The shops are usually staffed by volunteers so I guess it would be the same of sack deliverer/collectors.

But either way the whole sack business seems destined for some regulation as it's just becoming an irritation for many ... at least I don't believe I'm alone in my griping ...

Petty Hates

Post 7252

Malabarista - now with added pony

That reminds me.

Petty hate: the constant solicitations for more money from the World Wildlife Fund. First, I'm already donating what I can afford.

But what's worse is that all those glossy full-colour brochures (on bleached paper that's probably not even recycled) and the postage required to send them out are a good use neither of my donations nor of natural resources... smiley - cross

Petty Hates

Post 7253

Pink Paisley

Ha! The charity thing.

As someone who has donated already, you are targeted because you are know to be sympathetic to the cause and therefore a better bet than someone who has never donated before. The trick is to donate anonymously!

My PHOTD.

Text messaging when a call would be quicker, easier and more efficient. (This may be a repeat)

PP

Petty Hates

Post 7254

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

People who call me and expect me to deal with whatever they want RIGHT NOW rather than sending me a text and letting me consider and reply at my own pace smiley - tongueout

Petty Hates

Post 7255

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

So if it is so urgent - why the smiley - bleep don´t they call you right away instead of wasting your time by typing first? smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 7256

insert a `not´ up there, please.

Petty Hates

Post 7257

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

"I knew a Chinese guy called Yu..."

Topic drift, I know, sorry, but I had to add this:

I work in a microbiology lab. I often receive calls from doctors in the community wanting results, and if they need further advice I have to connect the call through to a consultant. Our lead consultant is Doctor Meigh (pronounced "Me"). Protocol calls for the conversation to be something along the lines of -
"Doctor Meigh? I have a doctor on the line wanting advice on treatment of..."(at this point I start to give the relevant details)

One day I got a call from a local doctor... (you're ahead of me here...) Doctor Yu.

I couldn't resist it.

To hell with protocol. I rang the consultant's number, and when she answered, I simply said -

"Doctor Meigh? It's Doctor Yu!"

Petty Hates

Post 7258

Hoggy, that´s pure h2g2.smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

(Just in case you hadn´t noticed because your pissoputer was all over the place again)

Petty Hates

Post 7259

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

I'm currently on a week's holiday, so I'm relaxed! Off to watch the local town pantomime in half an hour, always a good laugh.

smiley - offtopic

PH? Drivers who don't use indicators - I was waiting ages at a busy junction to pull out onto a main road - two drivers turned into the street I was coming out of without indicating - if they had been, I'd have been able to pull out safely!

Petty Hates

Post 7260

Hogster, first rule of survival when on wheels - never trust the enemy to have as many brain cells as horsepowers. I´m not a reborn smiley - biker, I survived the ER.

Key: Complain about this post