A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's the origin of "Les Trois Coups" (three hits on the floor with a big stick) in the French Theatre ?

Post 1

Phweephwoo

Oh I think I just asked the entire question in the subject line didn't I ? Well having read all the stuff about franglais I decided I had to translate it. Anyway.

Anyone know why they do this ? I can't find a thing on Google

What's the origin of "Les Trois Coups" (three hits on the floor with a big stick) in the French Theatre ?

Post 2

Seamus...the forbidden

Coups (trois). Trois coups frappés pour attirer l'attention du public au début d'une pièce, particulièrement quand il y a lever de rideau. Certains font remonter la tradition au Moyen Âge, où les trois coups finals (pour la Trinité) auraient été précédés d'un martèlement souvent constitué d'onze coups (les douze apôtres moins Judas). Les coups sont frappés avec un bâton dit " brigadier ".

BrigadierBâton utilisé pour frapper les coups annonciateurs du début d'une représentation. Voir Coups.

Seamus

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

And in English?

Post 4

Seamus...the forbidden

smiley - sorry thought you might speak french. Hope this helps.

Blows (three). Three blows hit to attract the attention of the public at the start of a piece, particularly when the curtain is raised. Some say the tradition dates back to the middle ages, where the three final blows (for the Trinity) would have been preceded by a hammering consisting of eleven blows (the twelve apostles less Judas). The blows are hit with a stick called a brigadier( corporal ).

Brigadier, a baton used to hit the warning blows at the beginning of a play, or similar event. See Blows.

Seamussmiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more