What to do?

Post 601

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Aye. Hence the old saying "as reliable as victorian plumbing"

smiley - pirate

What to do?

Post 602

You can call me TC

Oh - THAT kind of flush. I thought you were trying to flush the whole Pacific through it. Big job.

What to do?

Post 603

A victorian flush is a royal flush surely smiley - whistle

smiley - pirate

What to do?

Post 604

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

In a Victorian Royal Flush is the 'King of Hearts' replaced by 'Prince Consort of Hearts'?

Just askingsmiley - biggrin

F smiley - dolphin S

What to do?

Post 605

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I'm pretty happy to have cleaned the old gunk off the grinding inserts. Grandma would be proud. But I'm afraid using baking soda did some damage to the cream coloured enamel on the casing. The green seems fine. Any tips on how to get the shine back on enamel? I like me a shiny machine me.

smiley - towel

What to do?

Post 606

loonycat - run out of fizz

Wood ash and water is meant to polish enamel up well. Apply with an old pair of grandma's undies for best results smiley - ok

What to do?

Post 607

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - zen
How does one convert film to Imperial measures?
smiley - jester
It is uncanny that the US is really the only nation
who still refuse to adopt the metric system and yet
they are completely dependent on 16 and 35mm film
for their entire culture. Ironic? How'd that happen?
smiley - erm
~jwf~

What to do?

Post 608

These days most films come as portable external hard drives, which raises another question: How can we polish our shoes when we don't have any bad celluloid films to recycle into shoe polish smiley - huh

Baking soda? Wood ash and water?

smiley - pirate

What to do?

Post 609

Milla, h2g2 Operations

So, I better go burn some wood. One of these days.

smiley - towel

What to do?

Post 610

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Choose your wood carefully, I find the best ash for this purpose comes from the apple tree, Malus domestica. But take care not to incorporate any stray spirtles, as this always leads to a denatured end product.

oh and well water from a chalk aquifer will balance the mix.

What to do?

Post 611

Icy North

The perils of having two h2g2 windows open at once...

I'd asked elsewhere for advice on getting a better job, but I got that helpful response mixed up with loonycat's advice in the thread above:

"Apply with an old pair of grandma's undies for best results"

Well, it came back to haunt me at the interview...

What to do?

Post 612

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Re post 607

It is interesting that most of our soft drinks are sold in 2 Litre bottles (of course we spell it liter).

I have always heard that the main reason for our hanging on to Imperial Measure is because of the huge cost of retooling the gages and dials on our machines. Many of our drawings (especially government projects) are required to be dimensioned in both units. As they are made using Imperial the numbers add up while the metric ones do not.

A while back I was doing a few projects in the Caribbean Islands. The customer was supposed to take all the actual measurements of the finished building, He insisted as sending all of them in decimals of a foot (we use feet, inches and sixteenths) When I told him I would rather have cm or mm as I had to convert them anyway, he was shocked that we understood what they were.

F smiley - dolphin S

What to do?

Post 613

Reminds me of that thingamabob worth several million dollars we sent to smiley - mars and lost completely because, as it turned out later, one team of engineers had used imperials while the other team used metrics

Must have cost a few rounds of screw up smiley - ale that smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

What to do?

Post 614

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

My wifi printer won't work. It seems to have a spooler error, so I turned it upside down but cannot find a spool.

Also, please tell me where to find its obsolescence chip, because it is not very old, but I think it believes it is.

What to do?

Post 615

You'll probably need a frier down from the monastery kitchen.
Just ask for the chip monk

smiley - pirate

What to do?

Post 616

Santragenius V

Back to grinding inserts - anyone knows if the 12" oval ones are still available? Preferably not from Austria...

What to do?

Post 617

I believe you can still get them in B*lg**m. But only those made of copper

smiley - pirate

What to do?

Post 618

You can call me TC

Ooh - copper. That conducts electricity though, doesn't it? Might not be suitable for granny's undies.

What to do?

Post 619

Pink Paisley

It will be fine if given a coat of Hammenheimer's balm. (But could cause some skin discolouration and a vague tingling sensation).

PP.

What to do?

Post 620

Santragenius V

Ooh, Hammenheimer's... Is that the one you should never mix with linseed oil?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more