A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Log Off (user name)

Post 1

Researcher 56008

My office uses a mixture of Win 3.1, 95, 98 and NT, Most also use Novell Netware to comunicate with our file server.
When I install Win95,98 or NT, I sometimes get the option on the start menu, just above "shut down" to "Log Off" followed by the
username. I want to get this on everyones start menu. Is it a feature of windows or maybe Novell Netware? How can I activate this option. Many Thanks to anyone who can help.

Log Off (user name)

Post 2

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I think it's a feature of the Microsoft client software. Do some of your users have Novell's client and others the Microsoft Client for Netware Networks?

Log Off (user name)

Post 3

Researcher 56008

All are Novell clients.

Log Off (user name)

Post 4

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

It's a feature (if you can call it that) of Windows O/S. In control panel, you can set up details for users on the network under users in control panel. When the user logs on under their id, they will get the log off (username) prompt above the shutdown option. You will need to have client for ms windows installed for this.

Log Off (user name)

Post 5

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Taipan is right. When you log on the first time using either of the Microsoft clients (for Windows nets or for proper network operating systems), Windows creates a user account for you on the machine as well. This is to manage things like roaming profiles.

As to why Win 95 and Win NT behave differently, well just don't get me started on that......

Guy

Log Off (user name)

Post 6

Charlie.Boy

I've had Win 3.1, Win 95 and am now onto Win 98 and the only one with the log off bit - which when said wrong sounds a bit offensive don't you think - is Win 98. I'm not sayong its like that for all though because at college I use windows NT 4.0 which also has it...smiley - smiley

Log Off (user name)

Post 7

Also applies to Win95 when using Microsoft clients. NT 4 always has the "log off" option.

Log Off (user name)

Post 8

Researcher 56008

thanks everyone

Log Off (user name)

Post 9

If I might presume to speak for my esteemed colleagues, you are most welcome.

Log Off (user name)

Post 10

Researcher 56008

actually, I still havn't figured it out. I'm going to join the stupid user conversation now.

Log Off (user name)

Post 11

It's really quite simple. There are two main ways of connecting to a Novell serverfrom Win 95: using the Novell 32-bit client, and using the built-in Microsoft Client for Netware Networks.

The Novell client allows you to log off by opening the Novell logon box thingy (there's a button on the taskbar, if memory serves) whereas the microsoft client places an item in the Start menu to log off the current user.

The Microsoft client does this because as part of its installation it activates the shared installation features of Win 95, such as individual user accounts on the machine and user-specifc settings for desktop and so on. These, incidentally, are not terribly reliable - I often have to log on twice before I get the change in desktop prefs under Win 95.

Out of the box, Win95 has no security at all and just assumes that anybody who can get to the machine has a right to use it, which on a network is not necessarily true. Even when user accounts are set up on the PC you can bypass them entirely by pressing Escape at the logon prompt. Which is one reason why a lot of network administrators prefer NT Workstation to Win 95.

Windows NT has a different security model from 95. Even to the extent of having (another) different file system. So Windows NT always requires you to log on either to a domain or to the local system before you can start. Hence Win NT always has the "log off user" entry, because you can't use the machine without authenticating.

Log Off (user name)

Post 12

Researcher 56008

No, win NT doesn't always have the "log off" on the start menu. In fact most users on my network don't have it.
All I want to know is how to switch it on, I don't really care how it works.

Log Off (user name)

Post 13

kats-eyes (psychically confirmed caffeine addict)

We had that problem once, and on our system the Novell 32-bit client clashed with the win NT log-off - but I wasn't the one who solved it, so I don't know the solution - I'll ask my sys admin whether he remembers...

Log Off (user name)

Post 14

Researcher 56008

Yes, please do. Obviosly this problem isn't actually effecting the productivity of my company, it's just pissing me off.

Log Off (user name)

Post 15

warner - a new era of cooperation

This was the last thread in "the pile". That is the oldest post in "Ask the h2g2 Community". It has now become the top of the pile. smiley - winkeye
Windows 98 - smiley - sorry no longer supported; it doesn't make MS enough money ...
smiley - peacesign

Log Off (user name)

Post 16

In 1999, the Linux kernel was beginning to become more widely used on PC's, in conjunction with GNU utilities. smiley - ok
In January, Kernel 2.2.0 was released, and the Debian Weekly News begun >> http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/1999/1/
smiley - peacesign

Log Off (user name)

Post 17

6 February 2009

UK reduces interest rates to 1%
And the Office for National Statistics also said UK unemployment had risen to 1.92 million in the last quarter of 2008 - the highest level since 1997.
smiley - peacesign

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more