A Conversation for Ask h2g2

re:a game

Post 1

Researcher 195959

I have found an interesting game.
[Broken link removed by Moderator]/play is the location.
First you have to work out how to play though smiley - smiley
I haven't got far but if anyone wants to swap hints then that would be cool.

Post 2

DoctorGonzo

hmm... smiley - erm

The URL you mention doesn't exist, and the obvious re-spelling of it doesn't help either...

Post 3

Researcher 195959

Sorry it is http://www.epscilon.com/play.html

Post 4

Cheerful Dragon

I would be grateful if somebody would tell me the keyword to get in. I have a feeling it's to do with the letters that appear on the home page. Clicking on them brings up another letter, and certain letters appear in red. The red letters I have noted so far are I, M, N, O and S. The only word I can get out of those letters, without duplicates, is 'SIMON', which is wrong. Help!

Post 5

Witty Moniker

There are some clues on the explain page, but I haven't figured out how to apply them yet.

Have you noticed how the header changes when certain red letters are displayed?

Post 6

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

If you click on the red dot in the top right hand corner of a red letter page, you get a page full of hundreds of red dots, but only for a few seconds. That suggests to me that one or more of them is a link. And has anyone else got the '?' letter yet? When you click on the '?' you get a page of very little explanation which mentions the keyword login screen. You can click on the 'C', the 'S', and the 'P', and they bring up little individual windows which don't seem to do very much that I can find.

Post 7

Researcher 195959

In the p s c windows try pressing ctrl+A (or just select the whole screen). Have you been viewing the source code on each page? I am stuck at the keyword. I emailed the bloke who made it and he said the letters P S and C are important. If you remove those letters from epscilon you get eilon which is nolie backwards but that doesnt seem to help me. I know that the password is case sensitive and that all information can be found in the play folder but that doesn't really help that much.

Post 8

Mu Beta

OK...I'm intrigued now.

Letters appear randomly in black. Every now and then you get a red one, taken from the words epscilon.com (without the p,s,c) This does the whole red dot thing. At that point I get stuck.

B

Post 9

Cheerful Dragon

Viewing the source code doesn't help much, although viewing the source for the page with the letter tells you that viewing the source is a good way of finding clues. I did find one source page that said 'What's in a name?' But whose name? I've tried the names from the explanation page in both upper and lower case. I've tried 'simon' and anagrams of 'simon'. I've tried anagrams of 'nolie'. Any other ideas?

Post 10

Cheerful Dragon

Actually, the letters I get in red are I, M, N, O and S. I don't think I've had a red E or L - yet. If you view the source for the 'red button' page, you find that there are no red buttons. It's just a jpeg image, so clicking on it won't help you. But viewing the source *does* reveal the following comment in the HTML for the page:

<!-- STOP. Did your mother never tell you to look both ways before crossing the road? LOOK. Can you see the significance of what is essentially just a letter of the alphabet? LISTEN. But do you really hear the words that are being spoken? What's in a name? -->

Checking the source for the keyword entry page reveals a hexadecimal array that is used to check the keyword you've entered. Frankly, I don't feel like doing a conversion, which I could only do if the array is 8-bit ASCII and not Unicode.

Post 11

Researcher 195959

Did you look at the source code on the red dots page? I looked up what the name simon means but that didn't give me the answer.

Post 12

Researcher 195959

Is there any sound? My comp doesnt have speakers.

Post 13

Cheerful Dragon

Clicking on C S and P on the 'explanation' page puts up 3 little windows. If you press Ctrl-A on each window in turn you get 'Can Someone Perceive?' Any ideas on what this means?

Post 14

Mu Beta

OK...I've also found 'Secret table based on number of clicks' in the source code.

What's in a name? The guy is called Paul Clayton (I'm willing to bet his middle name begins with an S). His parents are Sandra and Graham. This must be relevant, but how?

B

Post 15

Researcher 195959

Is that the right order anyway. It could be: Percieve? Someone can. You know like a times crossword clue. Anyone here able to solve cryptic riddles?

Post 16

Researcher 195959

How do you know his parants names? What page is it on?

Post 17

Mu Beta

It's right at the top of the explanations page. It's written in such a way that it looks like a blatant clue.

Hang on. If Cheerful Dragon is right, the guy's full name must be Paul Simon Clayton. Keyword?

B

Post 18

IctoanAWEWawi

Its def. PSC for his name, when you click the C, S and P on the '?' page and it brings up the little window, not that the P S and C in epscilon is in upper case whilst the rest is in lower (depending on which one you click).

Post 19

IctoanAWEWawi

and also if you do the ctrl-A thing on the windows to highlight everything, the first letter is underlined, kinda in the manner you get for a menu shortcut, although hitting ctrl-C or ctrl-S or ctrl-P doesn't seem to do owt yet

Post 20

IctoanAWEWawi

view source on the ? page shows this near the bottom...

<!-- If you are reading this then I would guess that you are smart enough to progress further. <>
"May the source be with you", as Szlampy would say! -->

Key: Complain about this post