A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Stupid users

Post 221

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Correction - not Bubble memory, but Magnetic core...
Sorry.

Stupid users

Post 222

The Jester (P. S. of Village Idiots, Muse of Comedians, Keeper of Jokes, Chef and Seraph of Bad Jokes) LUG @ A458228

How many Tech Support people does it take to change a light bulb?

3smiley - biggrin

Stupid users

Post 223

The Jester (P. S. of Village Idiots, Muse of Comedians, Keeper of Jokes, Chef and Seraph of Bad Jokes) LUG @ A458228

We have an exact copy of the light bulb here, and it seems to be working fine. Can you tell me what kind of system you have? Okay, now exactly how dark is it? Okay, there could be four or five things wrong...have you tried the light switch?

3smiley - biggrin

Stupid users

Post 224

Anonymouse

Dragons are Geeks. smiley - winkeye

Stupid users

Post 225

Anonymouse

What socket do you have?

Stupid users

Post 226

Fruitbat (Eric the)

Actually, I've not come across the acronym before. I simply threw that in to be snide.

"zis guy" is right, though. Gates "stole" the Windows idea from Apple, who'd got it from Xerox PARC in the first place.

Fruitbat

Stupid users

Post 227

Anonymouse

One wonders where Billy Boy Bob came up with the $$$ and lawyers to fend off his early plagarism. smiley - sadface

Stupid users

Post 228

Anonymouse

One wonders where Billy Boy Bob came up with the $$$ and lawyers to fend off his early plagarism. smiley - sadface

Stupid users

Post 229

Dirk Vinkelhop

When I used to do tech support for a computer hardware company, I once got a call from a user who didn't understand why he couldn't see a picture on the screen from his new computer. I asked him all the usual questions; 'Did it beep when you switched it on?', 'Is the power light on?', 'Is it making any noise at all?'.. He answered 'yes' to all these questions; so I then went into questions about the video system; 'Is the monitor plugged in at the mains, and also into the back of the computer?'..

To this I got; 'monitor? what's that?'..

Turned out he didn't purchase a monitor (intended to be purchased as a separate item), and was trying to plug it into his TV smiley - smiley

Stupid users

Post 230

Anonymouse

Stupid users

Post 231

Anonymouse

*thwaps ISP repeatedly*

Stupid users

Post 232

Dirk Vinkelhop

If you wanted to keep the close bracket you could always use

3:o) or 3=o)

or a million other combinations I can't think of right now smiley - smiley..

Stupid users

Post 233

Dirk Vinkelhop

We'll get back to you in a few minutes (read: weeks) on that problem.

Stupid users

Post 234

Cheerful Dragon

Smile when you say that!

Stupid users

Post 235

Cheerful Dragon

No support personnel are available to take your call. Please leave a voice-mail (which we will ignore) after the tone.

Stupid users

Post 236

pacman

Linus Torvalds actually said that it should be pronounced lee-noox.
Well... he is finnish after all. (I have a feeling he did that just to harrass all the people debating over the pronunciation).

Stupid users

Post 237

O.Marie 95652

None, that's a hardware problem!

Stupid users

Post 238

O.Marie 95652

That's pretty funny, my mom is the other way around. She is such a chat junkie that when I took my new husband to meet her for the first time, we sat on the couch in her livingroom for over 2 hours with her in the dining room yelling "I'll be right there... oh wait, so in so is on line, I have to talk to him a moment... I'll be right there..." Eventually we got up and left, she said goodbye over her shoulder while typing away. I haven't seen her since as I live several states away and am not about to drive for hours and hours to watch her type!

The really ironic part of it is that before she got hooked on chat, she would call me and rant at me for hours that everyone in the family ignored her and looked down on her because she didn't know anything about computers.

Which is worse? I still can't decide.

O. Marie

Stupid users

Post 239

Anonymouse

Have you an RA/mp3/whatever link to LT saying the word?

Stupid users

Post 240

Anonymouse

I did. *hides behind Py`relyth* smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more