A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster

Post 21

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

A crap story in a crap paper, butmost memorable headline I ever saw.

What was the best newspaper headline ever!

Post 22

Wand'rin star

I have been patiently waiting for someone to post the one that ends" ......flies back to front" as I am unable to remember the subject. Thanx smiley - star

Urban myth one....

Post 23

Is mise Duncan

A story about a mentally disturbed conman who absconded after being charged with defrauding his local dry cleaners:
"Nut screws washers and bolts"

Urban myth one....

Post 24

Rainbow

Apparently the Sun is running a heaDline today about a bull-fighter who was speared by the bull in rather an unfortunate place, the headline read "MAN GORED IN RING" - no points for guessing where the bull's horn went!! smiley - smiley

Urban myth one....

Post 25

Santragenius V

I have heard that this one either is a journalistic myth or at least have been improved on along the way. Even so, I think the story of the consequences of a severe storm in the Channel described in an English newspaper with a rather large type on the front page like this:

STORM IN THE CHANNEL - EUROPE ISOLATED

is quite good... smiley - biggrin

smiley - star

Chestnut

Post 26

Pink Paisley

I have mentioned this one in another thread but here goes anyway. First a small geography lesson. On the Hertfordshire / Essex Border (UK) there are two small villages one called Ugley the other Nasty. OK? A local paper is supposed to have reported:-

NASTY MAN MARRIES UGLEY WOMAN.

PP

headlines

Post 27

Beth

I believe there was one perhaps in the Marcos era -

'Out! Damn Despot.'

Post 28

Zero Irregardless

It's widely thought that the best headline in a US tabloid (the New York Post in this case) was: "Headless Torso in Topless Bar".

Post 29

Solsbury

The one that springs to my mind is the "If this person wins the election, will the last person to leave the country turn out the light"
I can't remember who the this person was or which paper but think it was possibly the sun.
Anyone else remember this one?

Post 30

Orcus

It was the Sun and it was If Labour Win the Election...

Not one of my faves, this was us condemned to another few years of John Major...

Post 31

Solsbury

Then we got an even better set of tories than the tories...

Post 32

Abi

My fave has to be the one in NME (or was it Melody Maker) about Shed 7's lead singer turning up for a gig and finding he was in completely the wrong part of the country. The headline?

"You can't get s*****r than a thick Rick Witter!"

Post 33

Orcus

smiley - laugh

That *is* a good one smiley - biggrin

Post 34

Gnomon - time to move on

Headlines are funny because they are created by sub-editors, not by the authors of the articles. The sub-editors have an on-going competition to see who can create the cleverest headline, as well as the most boring. One from the New Scientist: "Volcano erupted on the Moon 50,000 years ago". Talk about News!

Post 35

Uncle Heavy [sic]

the best hgeadline never written:
new Man U dutch signing hit by a cake:

CRUDE FLAN-MISSILE PLOY

Urban myth one....

Post 36

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I thought it was "fog in channel, Continent cut off" - same idea. Reportedly the Telegraph.

Post 37

Coquetexile

TARA RAW BUM DISPLAY, The Sun I think when Tara Palmer Tompkinson flashed her behind whislt getting changed beneath a towel on a chilly English beach.

Post 38

Tube - the being being back for the time being

YOUR DNA BORES ME

F.A.Z., this Friday.

Post 39

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

MAYOR TO HOLD PUBIC HEARING
-Saint John (NB) Telegraph

jwf

Post 40

GreyDesk

My favourite is the Guardian's headline after the libel case it was defending against Neil Hamilton collapsed, when it was shown that Hamilton really was the scumbag that they had said he was:

A LIAR AND A CHEAT

I remember the whole of the first 5 pages of the paper were full of the story. The front cover was this banner headline (suprising as the Guardian doesn't really go in for banners) and a large photograph of Hamilton looking like the shifty lying b*****d that he is smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post