A Conversation for Ask h2g2

how to go British???

Post 1

Cheshirecatgeisha

Hiouuu out there! I need to speak to some experts on British living and/or survival. I am moving to London (Egham, actually) in 2 1/2 weeks to study there the next 3 years. Obviuosly, I AM NERVOUS! So can anyone give me some advice that is good to know? General information on british people, mentality, humour, celebrating, social rules like do and never ever do´s and so on, student life in Britain, you get the picture. Also, is there something special one should bring? Like, "don´t bring books just alcohol as it is so expensive" (is it? In germany it is not).
Thank you all. smiles and sunshine; CCG

how to go British???

Post 2

the autist formerly known as flinch

Where are you coming from? Germany?

how to go British???

Post 3

Munchkin

Looks like you are coming from Germany, so you shouldn't have to many worries. Britain is a European country just like any other, and London is very cosmopolitan, so you won't be the only non-Brit by a mile.
The general impresion is that everything in the UK is more expensive than the rest of Europe so, unless you have a specific thing you would bring anyway, I would'nt worry about it.
Do you live in a big city at the moment? I find London quite daunting as I am more of a country lad, and I would expect that to be as much of a change as changing country.
Oh, but don't expect anyone to know your language, its English or nothing, as far as your average Brit is concerned. smiley - smiley

Does that help? I'm sure I've missed loads of stuff, but then I'm not sure where Egham is smiley - smiley

how to go British???

Post 4

Ommigosh

One obvious but important tip. Be careful when crossing roads. In the UK we drive on the wrong side compared to most other countries.
(It is surprisingly easy to forget about this!)

Also don't use the word "English" if you mean "British". That seems to upset a lot of non English people.

Expect to hear lots of ironic humour.
Don't be put off if people seem distant and unfriendly-they are probably being polite.

how to go British???

Post 5

Freddy, Keeper Of The Word "fnar!". Back from the Underworld.

Egham is near Windsor and isn't really part of the big bad city - it's in the county of Surrey as opposed to Greater London. There's an Egham page at Knowhere (search for "Knowhere" on your favourite search engine). Apparently you should avoid the White Lion pub and the Victoria, both of which are supposedly a bit violent.
Perhaps you could write a guide entry on Egham once you've been there for a while?

how to go British???

Post 6

Vic

most trains in London stop around midnight (depends on which line it is and what day of the week) so check up on night buses that service your area before heading out on the town. Can't help you on things for uni though as i'm starting myself in October

how to go British???

Post 7

Demon Drawer

There should be a night bus out to Egham I think. I used to be slightly further in on the edge of the city but we were served quite well.

Be prepared for everytype of weather in one day and don't always beleive the weather forecast. If you are going to travel on teh Underground in the Summer months during the evening rush hour, take a drink. Especially if you are heading out on one of the overground sections like towards, Richmond or Heathrow as these get exceptionally hot then.

Students and drinking go hand in hand, and if you are attending a UNiversity or some other form of College you should have a Student Bar or access to one, here drink can be subsidised and is usually cheaper than the world outside. So if you want a cheap night out and just want to drink go there, they usually also lay on some cheap entertainments, good local bands and up and coming or cult student entertainers. (Here endeth the NUS plug by someone who narrowly failed to get election as an ENTS officer)

Most of all come to enjoy yourslef and realise that there will be differneces. The thing that my German and other foreign friends found hardest at the start was the speed of everyone's communication. However at the end of their time one of them said that he was starting to have problems thinking in German.

So come and enjoy and bear in mind you'll soon get used to it and that way you won't get homesick. (if you do there are numerous German Beers available at any good off-licence or supermarket smiley - winkeye )

how to go British???

Post 8

Researcher 179388

From the depths of my memory, I can remember starting my nursing training in central London.

The first thing I did was get to know the girls in the rooms either side of me. One has since become a life long friend.

We were all lost together, but there was loads of support from our tutors and it really only took a couple of weeks to settle in and our find our way around.

The Royal Holloway College is at Egham, so I assume that is where you are going. As it is part of the University of London group of colleges, I am sure you will get plenty of help, advice and support.

As is written in H2G2, don't panic and as my mother always used to say: if you meet people half way, they will walk the other half to meet you.

There isn't anything special you need to bring, just the stuff you need to get started. Fellow students will soon show you the best palces to but books, food, clothes etc.

how to go British???

Post 9

deackie

My top-tip for anyone going to uni for the first time is to take a jar of coffee, tea bags, teaspoons and 3-4 mugs (at least). The best way to meet people is to invite them in and chat over drinks.

My tip for people coming to England for the first time and wanting to know what to talk about over the drinks:

1. If you are German, do NOT under any circumstances mention football. I am ashamed to say it but there are a great many English people who will then have you stuck in the room for the next 5 days going through every single penalty shootout since 1966.

2. Memorise a few key phrases regarding the weather. It sounds cliched and a joke, but it is true. To strike up conversation with a English person you have never met before, comment on the weather.
eg. Situation: You are in a bar

You: Phew, I need this drink... to warm me up, it's miserable out there/ to quench my thirst, it's so flippin hot (always complain)

Them: I know, I left my umbrella at home today. I was going to bring it because the weather report said we were in for showers, but I looked at the window and it was warm with a beautiful blue sky so I didn't. Now I wish I had.

You: It hasn't rained this badly for months. We had some light drizzle on Tuesday and yesterday it was spitting....

It is possible to carry on this type of conversation for days. Just remember that as Inuit have many words for 'snow' the English have just as many words for 'rain'.

3. Try and get used to always being sarcastic. British humour revolves around irony but unfortunately in RL there are no smiley - winkeye smileys to give you a clue as to the meaning of a comment just made. As someone else mentioned, don't get offended, it probably means they like you.

Hope you enjoy uni life in England smiley - smiley

how to go British???

Post 10

Rainbow

I agree there, if someone makes a seemingly 'offensive' joke about you/your clothing etc. etc. take it as a compliment. Generally the English only make personal jokes or remarks about someone they like and feel comfortable with. Laugh with them - they will then admire you for being able to laugh at yourself!! smiley - magic

how to go British???

Post 11

Cheshirecatgeisha

Yes I am living in Germany but am actually swedish-american by nationality, so the language will be no problem thank goodness. Our family was living in the country between the two major cities of Düsseldorf and Cologne in the very west of Germany but we recently moved to a small town nearby Düsseldorf. Düsseldorf has about 600,000 inhabitants and Cologne is a million-peope metropolis, but I like Düsseldorf the best it is really a pretty city with many students and the pubs to go with them. (was out pubhopping in Old Town with some friends yesterday, as a matter of fact. the aftermath still has a hold on me. this Cuba libre! sheesh! ) Egham is a smaller town about 30 minutes by train from central London, it´s actually a bit out in the country and I think Windsor Castle is nearby. So I feel like I am getting the best of two worlds with the option to get away from either if it be so. Thanks for your reply sweetie. smiley - winkeye CCG.

how to go British???

Post 12

Cheshirecatgeisha

Writing an entry on Egham is a wonderful idea! And, if I then invite my next door neighbours for tea while having them help me with their feedback for the article I will be set with new aquaintances in no time! Thanks to everyone who took time to answer, I am really looking forward to this! smiley - smiley CCG.

how to go British???

Post 13

deackie

I'm sure you'll love England, I do smiley - smiley While your here, try and experience some English culture. My favourite time of year is May. I love the May Day celebrations. Traditional dance and music, children winding round maypoles and many other local taditions besides.

how to go British???

Post 14

the autist formerly known as flinch

MY GOD - Don't mention you're American!!! German, yes. Swedish, yes. But American? Just look at the What's wrong with American's thread and you might get some idea.

World Wars and bad furniture we can forgive, but the day the Yanks sided with Lafayette they were as good at French (our true enemies of course.

Read this mail and add one large pinch of salt. If i know how to do them there would be smileys all over it. This is the sort of nonsence that passes for irony in our country, so prepare yourself.

how to go British???

Post 15

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

It is no problem to use smileys, just click on one and you will be magically transfered to the smiley - smiley page.

And a hint for the metro, buy a ticket valid for more days, each time a new ticket gets very expensive.
As a dutchman who has been to London a number of times, I can tell you it is a great city.

how to go British???

Post 16

Pink Paisley

Welcome and have a good time.

PP

how to go British???

Post 17

LL Waz

Beware the accents. I'm British but coming back after five years elsewhere I couldn't understand half the population for a couple of weeks.

how to go British???

Post 18

a girl called Ben

I am a Brit, and last year I worked in Germany, and this year I worked in Sweden.

For fun, I bought a book called "Living and working in Britain" (or similar) by a German whose name was Christine something. Try your nearest south american river.

Anyway - the book was full of extremely good cultural advice, and in additiona, it had me in stitches.

My favourite remarks were 'An English person will only talk to you if you have been introduced to each other. If you have a dog, and you meet another person walking their dog it is all right to talk to them. Your dogs will have introduced you'. And: 'The English drink their tea with milk. You may considere this custom barbaric until you have tasted their tea'.

The fact we find this funny is a very good example of English irony.

Main differences between Brits and Swedes? English guys don't HAVE to be drunk to talk to you, and I found Swedish women very open. I beame very close friends with 3 far more quickly than I would have done with English women. Important friendships, too, not just shopping trips. Another difference is that England is more like Germany in terms of individiualism-vs-collectivism. But if you have been living in Germany, the UK will be a snip.

Do not expect the public transport to work here, though. Or any other public service.

a traveller called Ben
*who has just discovered that 'refuse collectors' are called that because they refuse to collect*

how to go British???

Post 19

You can call me TC

If you really are at the Royal Holloway College, be careful how you word it when introducing yourself. Holloway is more famous as a women's prison. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Londoners)

Make acquaintances by putting up notices on all the notice boards you can find.

Read Bill Brysons's Notes from a Small Island.

how to go British???

Post 20

You can call me TC

Have just found your home page. Please re-activate it!

Key: Complain about this post