A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Memory and the art of book buying

Post 1941

Lizzbett

I'm still ploughing through "War and Peace" - I've just started book three, so I'm roughly halfway through.

Post 1942

speaking of elephants...

I am reading The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra

Post 1943

hellboundforjoy

I'm still trying to read "Pride and Prejudice" Having trouble getting into it. Is that wierd?

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1944

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Sho, said (4 weeks ago!):

"I like Janet Evanovich - the Stephanie Plum novels at least."

I just did a brief glance-through on her latest Stephanie Plum novel, "Ten Big Ones", and found myself snorting with laughter (in public!) after reading a random passage in the middle! smiley - blush

I almost bought the hardcover copy -- I can't wait for the paperback, I'm just hoping the library near me will let me on their order list --they currently have a backlog of 6 requests for it! smiley - biggrin

SC

Post 1945

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I got Ten Big Ones yesterday and read it yesterday too, it's really good I recommend it to anyone, it's well up to standard

Post 1946

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

I am currently reading Robert Rank - 'The Sprouts of Wrath' 'tis the fourth novel in the wonderful Brentford trilogy! Go out and buy all five novels now!

smiley - peacedove

Post 1947

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I'm reading The Witches of Chiswick, I used to work in Brentford

Post 1948

kirriea

ive tried Priede and Prejudice a couple of times before i decided not to bother.

have just finished Song of Susannah, Stephen King.

Post 1949

mitsy_mu the spacegirl

i'm trying to read Patricia Cornwell's Blowfly - however am finding it boring, it's like she's gotten fed up of writing these particular characters. A real disappointment

Post 1950

Baconlefeets

Bridget Jones, Edge of Reason

Post 1951

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

As the Tour de France has started I thought I'd have another read of Cat by Freya North

Post 1952

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

I'm reading "The Winter Queen" by Boris Akunin for the second time - its fantastic! Have just finished the second of Boris Akunin's series of books on the gentleman detective Erast Fandorin, "Leviathan". Can't wait for the 3rd one to be translated, eleven have already been written in Russian! The two I've read really are absolutely splendid!

smiley - towel

Le Morte d'Arthur and Salmon of Doubt

Post 1953

Barry (ask me about the Disneyland Resort)

"_Le Morte D'Arthur_ by Thomas Mallory (eBook):I've read several versions of the King Arthur legend and thought I would try the original. We'll see how far I get."

Well, I got into the part where every chapter is the same about how they all fought with each other. I've put it down and begun reading _Around the World in 80 Days_. The big balloon scene from the original movie isn't in the book (neither is the stop in Spain).

Post 1954

Metal Chicken

A Jules Verne adventure sounds like excellent refreshment after Mallory. smiley - smiley

I'm just getting stuck into "Winter's Tale" by Mark Helprin. Not sure yet how to classify it but recommended by my sister for "a lyrical style but disappointing ending". So far I'd agree with the style comment - maybe I should stop reading a few chapters from the end and leave it to the imagination smiley - winkeye

What book are you reading just now?

Post 1955

toybox

Still on a journey through "Sahara" with Michael Palin;
halfway through 'Le Grand incendie de Londres' by jacques Roubaud;
just finished "Uncle Petros and Goldbach's conjecture";
just started Caesar's "Guerre des Gaules" (the English title of which eludes me smiley - erm).

What book are you reading just now?

Post 1956

toybox

Still on a journey through "Sahara" with Michael Palin;
halfway through 'Le Grand incendie de Londres' by jacques Roubaud;
just finished "Uncle Petros and Goldbach's conjecture" by Apostolos Doxiadis;
just started Caesar's "Guerre des Gaules" (the English title of which eludes me smiley - erm).

Post 1957

Barry (ask me about the Disneyland Resort)

"A Jules Verne adventure sounds like excellent refreshment after Mallory."

Not quite after Mallory as I've never been able to get throught the book. smiley - smiley

Post 1958

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

The Once and Future King by TH White manages to stay quite close to Malory whilst being readable.

At long last I have finished Hitler and Stalin:Parallel Lives, excellent but very depressing. Just started Fighting All the Way, Barbara Castles autobiography.

Post 1959

hellboundforjoy

*adds "Once and Future King" to want to read list.

Post 1960

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Its good, its funny, quite close to Malory, what the Disney cartoon and the Camelot musical were loosely based on. On the other hand it is dated in parts, particularly Whites downer on the Celts but well-worth a look.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more