A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1401

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

I'm reading far too many books at the moment:

"Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte
"Time Travel in Einsteins Universe" (A bit of a contrast from Jane Eyre!)
"On Kissing, Tickling and Being Bored" A psychoanaltical book - did you know that agoraphobia is deep down a fear of castration? Possibly this book is to be taken with a pinch of salt!!
"The Foundations of Arithmetic" by Gottlob Frege - all about how you can't actually prove that 2+2=4 - lovely!

smiley - smiley

Post 1402

Jim Lynn

Dead Air by Iain Banks

Post 1403

Flying Betty- Now with added nickname tag!

Currently rereading both The Hobbit and Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness books.

Post 1404

Zantic - Who is this woman??

The Well of Lost Plots - Jasper Fforde

Can I suggest to all and everyuone that you read this series ('The Eyre Affair', 'Lost in a Good Book' and the above novel) To steal a quote fromt the Scotsman, DNA would be proud.. smiley - winkeye

Zantic smiley - dragon

Post 1405

JustAnotherNumber\Lord High Praetor of Thingite-ica\Sub

A Matter of Degrees--Gino Segré
Interesting look at temperature and its measurement and relevance to our existence.

Post 1406

Foggy (and a little gloomy too)

Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson - Very relaxing & somewhat boring book with no plot about English country life in the late 1800s
And, finally, Harry Potter and the Order of Pheonix smiley - wizard.

Post 1407

Lord Mallory Ringess - Voodoo Warrior to the rich and famous, owner of the Necronomicon and wearer of nice hats

Magician by Raymond E feist - not a great work of art, but pretty damn gripping all the same

Post 1408

Crescent

Trying Little, Big again - John Crowley smiley - smiley and Magician has one of the best chapters of all time when Milamber does his thang smiley - smiley Until later.....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 1409

If the universe is infinite, then im "a" center, 21+4^1+8+9=42

Where to begin....

Giancoli physics book edition 5

The mathematical universe - william dunham (really good)

Brief history of time - stephen hawking (well not reading as using it as refernce sometimes)

Black holes and baby universes and other essays - stephen hawking

html complete

Post 1410

Wulfric

Two at the moment:

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
Prelude and Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Fairly certain that the title - my mind has gone blank again!)

Post 1411

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Going through Black Boy by Richard Wright. It's one of the few books I was forced to read in high school that I liked, and I saw it cheap at a book fair recently and had to pick it up. Can't figure out why I like it, I just do. smiley - weird

Post 1412

Jim Lynn

Recently finished:

High Society by Ben Elton
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About by Mil Millington

Post 1413

Cheerful Dragon

Straight by Dick Francis
War for America by Jeremy Black (American War of Independence)

Post 1414

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I've just finished The Well of Lost Plots too, Fab, read the set.

1) What would have been the outcome of Cavisham Heights

2) Did Miss Havisham break the landspeed record

3) Will Aorin Hades be back in Pt 4

Post 1415

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Wow... I've read so many books since I last posted here... I'm not sure how many people read the little book reviews in this thread anyway...
I'm currently reading 'The Most Amazing Man Who Ever Lived' by Robert Rankinsmiley - ok

smiley - peacedove

Post 1416

Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers

Post 1417

Cheerful Dragon

I recently rediscovered "Arthur C. Clarke's World of Strange Powers", which is about paranormal / parapsychology. The foreword starts, "At a generous assessment, approximately half this book is nonsense. Unfortunately, I don't know *which* half; and neither, despite all claims to the contrary, does anybody else."

It's refreshing to see such honesty in a book of this kind. So many take themselves and their subject far too seriously.

Post 1418

Tilly - back in mauve

Well, I'm still reading 'Aunts aren't gentlemen' by P.G. Wodehouse, but I'm also dipping into 'The ring-leader's daughter' by Jostein Gaarder (a fellow Norwegian), a collection of horror novels by Roald Dahl (a semi-Norwegian) and '1985' by George Orwell (not Norwegian whatsoever) to see which one I'm going to read next smiley - tongueout

Any suggestions?

Post 1419

Sho - employed again!

Foggy, how are you liking Lark Rise?
I bought it yonks ago, in the book sale that was held here in Germany when the guys came back from the previous Gulf war. I just took a box and bought all the Penguin classics and Penguin modern classics, and that was in it. It's a lovely book, and a real eye opener about life back then.

Currently reading: The Silmarillion (just got to the interesting bits about Elrond, thank goodness) and LOTR in parallel (LOTR is a paperback, so I can read it in bed)

I'm also reading the Comple Idiot's Guide to Classical Mythology - a cracking good read.

Post 1420

deemikay

Graham Greene - The Power and The Glory.

It's good... but I'm getting slightly impatient with it and want to move onto something else quite quickly. Still, nearly done.

deemikay

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more