A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 81

Crescent

The Reality Dysfunction - Peter F Hamilton

Started it for the fifth time, never got through it yet (though I am now already past where I finished before smiley - smiley).

Magi'i of Cyandor was disappointing - even for a no brainer read - it had a similar problem as Marrow years would pass, and no indication given. This book also appears to be the first in a set, it finished on nothing. The previous books in the Recluse saga were better (still more or less schlock fantasy, but in an intresting world, with much to explore) and could be read as one offs. Well, enough for now, until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 82

Abi

Monty Roberts - Join up: Horse Skills for People

About how the horse-gentling skills Monty uses can be applied to our communications with other people. It is about earning trust and not abusing it.

Post 83

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

Awww... and a lot of people abuse trust... smiley - cry

Crescent has given me hope as a writer... if they publish junk, I have an ok chance... smiley - tongueout

Post 84

DoctorGonzo

Just write some romantic fiction, with a strong-minded, late 20s heroine who chain smokes, drinks, is a bit of a 'ladette', yet is still feminine. Add in a couple of useless idiot male characters. Give her some friends, at least one of which should be a hideous gay cliche. Set it in London. Hang the plot around the conflicting desires to settle down, and to have 'fun'. Slap a pink cover on it.

Collect money smiley - smiley

DG

Post 85

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

smiley - laugh I'd rather not, and if I did, I'd use a pen name!!! smiley - tongueout

Post 86

Crescent

Woohoo smiley - smiley finished The Reality Dysfunction (finally, what with WWF : Invasion getting in the way smiley - smiley). Now there is a kick ass book. Slow to begin with, but what an ending. Space opera at its pinaccle smiley - smiley Started the next one, Neutronium Alchemist smiley - smiley I have a two or three spare copies of Reality Dysfunction, so if you want come talk to me smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 87

Solsbury

Just finished reading The Glory Road by Robert Heinlein.
Fairly standard fantasy fluff using the parallel universe idea to take the protagonist from earth elsewhere to have the adventures (killing dragon, rescuing the riches etc) and then continues after the deeds have been done looking more at the what happens next to heroes when they're done being heros. They get bored smiley - winkeye and go and do something else.

Post 88

Dia

Dostoyevsky - great stuff!

I'm reading The House of the Dead right now - loved Notes from Underground!

Post 89

Metal Chicken

Snap! Crescent (note - an exclamation not an instruction smiley - erm)
I'm just a few pages into the Neutronium Alchemist too.

Also reading something called 'I could read the sky', a lyrically written piece by Timothy O'Grady telling the experiences of an Irish emigrant to England.

Post 90

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

Covering some old favorite ground this week: Hornblower and the Atropos by CS Forester.

Post 91

Andy

Just started The Amber Spyglass.

Am I too old to enjoy Philip Pullman books?

Post 92

Abi

No my Gran is 75 and she loves them. smiley - smiley

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - very funny and highly rated by Terry Pratchett.

I commend it to the thread! smiley - smiley

Post 93

DoctorGonzo

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe - on agc Ben's recommendation. I also have Post Office by Charles Bukowski on it's way, thanks to a recent guide entry. h2g2 is certainly expanding my literary horizons smiley - smiley

DG

Post 94

Abi

Absolutely. The recommendations I have taken from here have never disappointed.

Post 95

Crescent

The Naked God - Peter F Hamilton

This guy knows what he is doing, the end of Neutronium Alchemist was ace smiley - smiley It also basically guarenteed that you have to start the final book straight away smiley - smiley Well, until later.....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 96

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

just started john grisham's A Painted House... judging from the first chapter, this seems to be pretty far removed from the usual courtroom drama....

Post 97

Metal Chicken

Crescent, that's exactly what the friend said who's been lending me the Peter Hamilton books. As soon as I told him I was reading number 2 he said he'd be round with number 3 so it was there when I needed it.
Now reading McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy. Works on the general premise of never passing a bar with your name on it. Which works well when you're in West Cork and your name is MacCarthy.

Post 98

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

I'm reading 'Wuthering Heights', a) since it'll do me go in the English Lit. sense, being written as it was before 1900, and b) because someone called Emily wrote it. smiley - smiley

Post 99

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

flying maide my arms ach smiley - biggrin
it is a really funny war biography where the imortal poenm
"if in troubble or in dout always pull your finger out if it causes greafff or paine ut the b*****d back againe" came from smiley - tongueout

Post 100

Pu Dendal-Shrubbery

I've just started The Amber Spyglass too!

But then I'm a big fan of so-called 'children's books'- As far as recent ones go, The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart,beginning with Beyond the Deepwoods is worth a read too!

I think I'll read the Eyre Affair, too, on Pratchett's recommendation. I like parallel universes... smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post