A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 881

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I've finished 'Wolf Speaker' (Tamora Pierce) and am up to date with them, so I have begun a Star Trek Voyager novelisation "Bless the Beasts" by Karen Haber. Very good, so far!
'Silent Takeover' by Noreena Hertz, irritates me intensely, so I am reading some Ann Rule True Crime trash for now.. A book of jokes by David Letterman has come in for me at the local library, I'll fetch it on Saturday..smiley - cat

Post 882

several, a/k/a random

i'm amidst 'good grief, the story of charles m. schulz' on where snoopy, linus and charlie brown came from. on deck (next up) is william shatner's 'star trek memories' the library found for me.
smiley - musicalnote

Post 883

PaulBateman

Ribert Holdstock's 'Celtika'

Post 884

Abi

The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet

My name is Abigail and I am a carbohydrate addict.

Post 885

PaulBateman

At this point should we clap?

Post 886

milo

I read "Bless the Beasts" as "Bless the Breasts".

Post 887

Abi

Please! I could do with the encouragement!

Post 888

milo

Keep it up! You're doing great!

Post 889

PaulBateman

I like the sound of the lattersmiley - winkeye

Post 890

Greta_9, Keeper of the 4/4 Beat and Deep Sexy Basslines, in a strange condition

Hey Abi, aren't we all... pasta, bread, chocolate, potatoes... yummmm, gimme more!!!

Suggested reading: "Afrodita" by Isabel Allende (takes away all the guilt... brilliant if you're a tad overweight but enjoy your food too much to give up on it.)
"Immoral Recipes" by Manuel Vazquez Montalban (same as above, but written by a man who obviously likes his women in different shapes and sizes, and with a healthy appetite.)

Post 891

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

>Ribert Holdstock's 'Celtika' <

You'll *love* it - I guarantee it! $$ if you don't (I say, that's a bit rash.) But no, you will smiley - love it, I promise!

Post 892

Jed the Humanoid -Keeper of things lost down the back of the sofa-also the Chief Mad Drunken Warrior of the Anti Squirrel League

As always I have about seven or eight books on the go.
THe ones that come to mind immediately are:
Captain Beefheart (biography) by someone who's name escapes me
Minority Report - Philip K Dick (very good short story collection released to tie in with the tom cruise film (interesting side note...in the original short story Tom Cruise's character (Anderton) is supposed to be balding, fat and aging....(the three adjectives that instantly come to mind when describing Tom Cruise)))
Time Enough For Love - Robert Heinlen (i started reading this ages ago and have recently started to repeatedly re-read one of the chapters (The story of the man who was too lazy to fail) for its sheer inspirational value
I'm also on my second reading of Catch 22 (joseph heller) and finding it even more worth it the second time round
Oh, and Fear and Loathing on the campaign trail '72 (hunter S Thompson) is also in my stack of books

Perhaps I should just speed up the whole thing by saying which book I've FINISHED recently (a very different statement). THe last book i finished was 'Wouldn't it be Nice' by Brian Wilson and Todd Gold(gould?). This is Brian Wilsons torturously harrowing account of his life, and should be read by everyone, especially if you've ever had a fondness for the beach boys. It's certainly an eye-opener.

Post 893

Demon Drawer

I'm currently wading through the Draft Scottish Lib Dem Manefesto for next year before the Scottish conference next saturday. smiley - winkeye

Not a book I know but for me essential reading. smiley - smiley

Post 894

ViceChancellorGriffin Keeper spelling Mistakes and Goldfish

I have just finished the second book by Eion Colfer Artmedis Fowl the artic expadition "wich is all verry well and good if you happen to like that sort of thing which I" Do.
the only problem now is i have to find another book.

Post 895

JustAnotherNumber\Lord High Praetor of Thingite-ica\Sub

Several excellent books, namely...

Genius, by James Gleick: (a biography of Richard P. Feynman, Nobel Prize-winning physicist and drummer extraordinaire)

Longitude, by Dava Sobel: about the quest for how to measure longitude at sea (the Longitude Act, John Harrison...)

A Tour of the Calculus, by Dave Berlinski: not nearly as boring as it sounds.

Post 896

JustAnotherNumber\Lord High Praetor of Thingite-ica\Sub

minor point, but should be David Berlinski

Post 897

Greta_9, Keeper of the 4/4 Beat and Deep Sexy Basslines, in a strange condition

More Italian books: I know there is an english translation of this one, although I'm not sure what it's called in Englilsh. In Italian it's "Io non ho paura" (I am not afraid), and it's a great, great, great book by Niccolò Ammaniti. He's a young writer, and a truly great one at that. I read the whole thing in an afternoon. It's the truly harrowing story of how a boy of nine living in a tiny village in the South of Italy during the poverty-stricken Seventies (not that it's much better now) and how he finds out about a horrible secret. Beautifully written and plotted.

Post 898

The Ghost of Polidari

Like a lot of other people, reading 'Black House' by Stephen King and Peter Straub...

Post 899

friendlywithteeth

'God of the small things' Arundhati Roy.

Post 900

Zantic - Who is this woman??

To Sail Beyond the Sunset - Robert Heinlein

next up will probably be Time Enough For Love (if I can find it under the pile)

AH...ain't comfort reading fun? smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more