A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 7421

Spaceechik, Typomancer

I've been reading up a storm since I got a Kindle for my PC and one for my iPod Touch...

"Discord's Apple", by Carrie Vaughn (author of the Kitty/werewolf series) but this is totally different...what if the bits and bobs of the Gods were real? I really liked it.

Cory Doctorow's "Makers" -- a forecast of the future of the Make movement, love the characters and his writing.

Henning Mankel, "In the Time of Frost"?, a Linda Wallander mystery. He has a co-writer, but I'm thinking it's to help with writing a female lead character. It's good so far...definitely Mankell.

and a few others I've blanked on for now.

Post 7422

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

For 2011, I've got three books lined up still wrapping up the last of Lovecraft smiley - canofworms and the Bright Earth: The History of Colour smiley - rainbow.

smiley - book The Emerging Mind: V.S Ramachandran. smiley - cdouble

smiley - book Chasing the Sun: Richard Cohen smiley - cool

smiley - book The Golden Age of Arabic Science: Jim Al-Khalili smiley - grovel

Post 7423

Bagpuss

The Glass Wall: Why Mathematics Can Seem Difficult, by Frank Smith

So far he's talked about how mathematical language is different from natural language, even when it comes to basic words like "add". I'm hoping there'll be some useful advice on how to get people who are confused to understand...

Post 7424

Sho - employed again!

Finished Reaper Man, rather excellent.

Now about to start Pratt à Manger which is the 4th in the Henry Pratt series. The others were most excellent so I hope this keeps up the standard.

Post 7425

KB

That one sounds interesting, Bagpuss.

Post 7426

Metal Chicken

"Weeds" by Richard Mabey, a celebration of plants that grow where we don't want them too and their part in/effect on human civilisation.

MC

Post 7427

Sho - employed again!

that sounds great I'm adding that to my wish list.

Post 7428

aka Bel - A87832164

Oh, I love it. Dawn Treader is great, too.

I got a voucher for a bookstore chain (Hugendubel).

I guess I can't buy an ebook, cause of the voucher being a card which deosn't tell me how much money it is worth, so I'll have to go to the store. I browsed their shelves now, but there is absolutely nothing which jumps at me saying: 'buy me'.

So, what is a 'Must Read'?

Post 7429

Sho - employed again!

no idea where to start with a recommendatin, Bel. smiley - sadface so many books, so little time! smiley - smiley

I'm so excited- I was given 21 books for Christmas and I still have a €32 Amazon voucher to spend
smiley - boing

Post 7430

Cheerful Dragon

While watching Prince Caspian on Christmas Eve, I was sure there were bits in the film that didn't happen in the book. So I've started to work my way through the entire Chronicles of Narnia. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe took me about a day to read. I've just started Prince Caspian. I should have finished some time next week.

Post 7431

aka Bel - A87832164

I've finished The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and am into The Silver Chair now.

Post 7432

Anonymouse

My granddaughter is finally reading the owl books I got her three years ago when the illustrator showed up at her school for a signing. I've already read the whole set, her mother is almost finished with them, and I probably should start on the spin-off series (the wolves of beyond) since we have the first two.

Post 7433

Sho - employed again!

Just finished the Silver Chair (my favourite of the Narnia books) and am now casting around for a bedtime read (I got 21 books for christmas so it shouldn't be difficult)

And am about to start a new downstairs book: Travels With My Donkey by Tim Moore - the last stage of the Way of Saint James from just over the French border, over the Pyranees to Santiago de Compostela.

Post 7434

aka Bel - A87832164

Finished Silver Chair, Last Battle next.

Love all the Narnia books I've read so far. I know the discussion was elsewhere, but I do wonder about some of the comments from the thread.
I'm glad it didn't put me off reading the books.

Post 7435

Cheerful Dragon

Just finishing Dawn Treader (finished Prince Caspian yesterday), so I'm about to start The Silver Chair.

Post 7436

aka Bel - A87832164

Finished 'The Last Battle'. That's me done with all Narnia books now. smiley - smiley

Started 'Papierkrieg' which came with my ebook reader.
Truly shocked. One cliché chases the next AND found two misspellings on the first few pages. I'm wondering whether I should complain.

Had a look in one of the other books which came with the reader and that, too, started in a way which immediately put me off reading it.
I don't think I'm going to bother with either of the remaining two books.

May start reading We are all made of Glue.

Post 7437

airscotia-back by popular demand

Still retro-reading ones I either missed, or didn't fully appreciate at the time.
The diary of Anne Frank. A new version with previously unpublished entries that her father has allowed to be included.
This is a much sadder read this time round because I can appreciate the lost opportunities, whereas I connected more with the person when I read it in my teens.
Rather a special edition as it was bought from the Anne frank museum by my mum.

Post 7438

Malabarista - now with added pony

That's what I'm currently reading, Bel smiley - ok

Post 7439

Sho - employed again!

I read the new version of the Anne Frank diary last year - and again, I had a totally different perspective as the mother of a teenager than that which I had when I read it as a teenager.

Just started Travels with my Donkey, by Tim Moore. It's fab. I like travel books and I'm thinking that I'd like to take that walk sometime.
smiley - ok

So, Bel, now you've finished the Narnia books: what do you think of them?

Post 7440

aka Bel - A87832164

Oh, I love them. The last book went a bit on in the end, so I merely skimmed the last couple of pages, but on the whole I really enjoyed the books.

Key: Complain about this post