A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 3341

nicki

currently reading wicca - blood witch by cate tiernan
nearly finished it though and then ive run out of material untill my housemate goes to the library on monday!
i might raid her room for some more books!

Post 3342

Sho - employed again!

Just finished Going Gently by David Nobbs and I can't say enough good things about it (murder mystery wrapped in the review of a woman's life, from her hospital bed, as she recovers from a stroke - on the eve of her 100th birthday)

I've read a fair few of his (including Reggie Perrin) and loved them all, but this one is by far and away the best.

Now reading The Return of the King.

Finished reading The Wind in the Willows to The Gruesome Twosome, and will embark on Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator tonight.

Post 3343

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

<< then ive run out of material untill my housemate goes to the library on monday!>>

How awful! I read Wormwood, by G P Taylor last night and this morning in one sitting. Depressing! All the characters are bad - and the only winners in the end, are those who are least bad.

Also, I finished 'Luck in the Shadows', by Lynn Flewelling, recommended to me by Uncharted. I have to get book 2 next, I am hooked! It took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I was well and truly hooked.

Post 3344

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

You actually never finish reading'Wind In The Willows'.
It just gets better as you get oldersmiley - magic.
My kids are awake to the fact that Dad read+read WITW to them for his own selfish reasonssmiley - laugh

Post 3345

nicki

my mum never read it to me but she made me watch the film so much because she liked it that i now have a hatred for it

Post 3346

Ged42

Just finished The Wheel of Time Part 1: The Eye of the World, by Robert Jordan and rather enjoyed it. smiley - wizard

Now onto Part 2: The Great Hunt. smiley - run

Post 3347

The Nitpicker

a million little pieces

James Frey

What a truly scary book! I would not have read more than the first 25 pages if it had not been so well written! Brilliant! I do hope James Frey has not had a relapse .....

Post 3348

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Back to the Crow Road and my favourite all-time opening line:

"It was the day my grandmother exploded."

smiley - biggrin

Post 3349

saintfrancesca

'Red Dog' by Louis de Bernieres. Great little book.

smiley - dog

Post 3350

Crescent

Ged, no! No! No! - leave it. 11 books in and no end in sight. And each time a new one comes out you will have to reread the whole lot. And he may die before he finishes the series. I am waiting for him to finish it before I return to it. On the other hand, the first few books are romping smiley - smiley and later books have some real flashes of brilliance, and several 'YES! BOOOYAAAAH!' bits (always wanted to use that word in a post smiley - smiley).

I am reading Wizard Warrior the first new book by Gene Wolfe for a while. It wanders and rambles here and there, and you do wonder if the main character will ever get to see the end of anything, but I am only 1/3 of the way in and it does make you want to find out where it is going. Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 3351

Crescent

Ooops, I meant the Wizard Knight is Gene Wolfes new book. Until later...
BCNU - Crescent

Post 3352

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

>It wanders and rambles here and there, and you do wonder if the main character will ever get to see the end of anything,<

Isn't that the joy and beauty of ALL Gene Wofe's books? I just wish somebody would print the last two books of the Long Sun saga (Blues Waters and Greens Forests) in this country. smiley - sadface

smiley - shark

Post 3353

Crescent

lol smiley - smiley yes it is smiley - smiley But an awful lot of people do not like it (more fool them).

Unfortunately all the big bookshops seem to miss out a lot of some authors - Zelazny, especially, springs to mind, Wolfe, Jose Farmer, Hugh Cook smiley - sadface Classics of the 70's and 80's - luckily 2nd hand bookshops can be treasure troves. I think I read the first Long Sun (it was the generation ship one?) but could never find any of them again smiley - sadface Going to have to step up my search in the 2nd hand shops....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 3354

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

I would think that Zelazny and Farmer are almost entirely out of print these days, so bookshops won't be able to get hold of them. smiley - sadface The last Zelazny i saw anywhere was The night of Lonesome October, with beautiful illustrations by Gahan Wilson.

Wolfe seems to arrive in the UK in fits and starts. I'm lucky enough to have a complete set of his stuff (except the three mentioned. I must pop into Waterstones and see about the one you mentioned, and I guess eventually I'll buckle and fork out £12 a pop for the last two in The Long Sun).

smiley - shark

Post 3355

Ged42

Yeah Crescent, i picked up part 1 of the Wheel of Time, knowing there was sequels. I didn't realise till monday that there were 11 of them smiley - yikes

Post 3356

Robert Jordan? He's on my 'to read' list...

I am reading 'How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World', by Francis Wheen. (It was recommended to me.) What a disappointment!

Where is he coming from? He doesn't seem really able to make up his mind - I'd venture to suggest, that one of the few things he's sure of, is his own superiority.The superiority of all things American (but for their religion, as if that's all of a piece, is another unarguable given to him.

But that's about it. He contradicts himself something awful, and although the first three chapters are amusing, especially the one about the abomination that is deconstructionism, I got less amused and more annoyed the deeper I got into the book. Aside from anything else, he's a dreadful snob!

Post 3357

smiley - laugh

Were you reading the same book as the rest of the world? smiley - laugh

As a fully paid up member of the Guardians left-wing intellectual elite, yes Wheen is an *intellectual* snob. And about as anti-American as they come when he needs to be.

Perhaps your reaction to the book says way more about you than it does about Francis Wheen? smiley - laugh

BTW Crescent, you might have warned me you needed to be a fully paid up weight lifter to even get The Wizard Knight of the shelf! smiley - biggrin

smiley - shark

Post 3358

Sigh.. I might have expected that reaction (in fact, I probably did, somewhere.)

No, the book was a disgrace. Mr Wheen is best described by the immortal words of Queen in the song Death on Two Legs - as a 'self-loving boy'. smiley - laugh

Post 3359

Crescent

lol smiley - smiley after a couple of hundred pages it does get a bit tiring on the wrists smiley - smiley My next book is Creatures of Light and Darkness, a never-seen-before (by me anyhoo) Zelazny book - a friend had two copies and gave me one smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 3360

So Della, can you illustrate, using examples - you need only quote page references, I have a copy of the book, where Wheen is either 'pro-American' as you describe, or a snob, which I presume to mean a class snob, although I know you have issues with intellectual elitism.

I think your reaction to the book says far far more about your knee jerk anti-Americanism and chip on your shoulder working-class ness than it does about Francis Wheen.

And anybody who finds 'relevance' of any sort in quoting a Queen lyric with regard to serious authors has a whole range of other issues we needn't discuss here.

And didn'yt your mother ever tell you it's rude to laugh at your own jokes?

smiley - shark

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more