A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 3221

fords - number 1 all over heaven

I have a couple of Pratchett books in my collection....well, a couple of shelves of Pratchett books is more like it! smiley - biggrin

Post 3222

Shirps

I've read London too, also Sarum & Forest - have Russka just waiting on the shelf for those long cold winter evenings! I agree some bits were a bit tedious, but I believe in reading every word in case I miss something!!! Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett was a good read too, if you quite like Rutherford - I think anyway smiley - winkeye
smiley - dog

Post 3223

LiquoriceSun

Good for you, Fordsmiley - biggrin!

Post 3224

It's fords, by the way smiley - winkeye

Post 3225

LiquoriceSun

smiley - sorry -- i clearly _can't_ read!

Post 3226

I'll let you off this time smiley - ok

Post 3227

LiquoriceSun

smiley - tasmiley - smiley

Post 3228

I need to start thinking about what books I should take on holiday. Might re-read Harry Potter 6...

Post 3229

A Super Furry Animal

You should take A Song Of Stone. Nice, cheerful, easy reading, that is.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3230

What a good idea! smiley - silly

Post 3231

redpeckhamthegreatpompomwithnobson

re-reading A passage to India by E.M, Forster

What really happenned in the Marrabar Caves is one of the great mysteries of western literature!

Post 3232

night-eyes

With all books you've got you haven't learned to read yet LiquoriceSun ? smiley - winkeye

Yes, Pratchett is great and Carpe Jugulum is my favourite of his! I just finished reading the Wee free men - Tiffany books. They are rather different from the other Discworld novels, a bit childish I guess, but I liked them. They had witches insmiley - winkeye

As for the storage of books - I like having all of them in front of my eyes - then I can easily re-read them again and again smiley - winkeye

Post 3233

saintfrancesca

I buy books from op shops, secondhand bookshops and garage sales. I keep them in bookshelves or teetering in piles in cupboards ... books books books. I'm one of those readers who usually has a few books on the go at once, like a fiction, a history or two and a pop science book, plus anything that looks interesting from the library. Libraries are brilliant for deciding if you like an author or not, you can take them back and then buy it if you REALLY like it.

I don't think I'd be able to move in my house if I brought every book I wanted to read.

Ha!!! Found another Alexander McCall Smith at the library: The Company of Cheerful Ladies. Now I've read the first book in the series, and this is the most recent. Somehow Precious has acquired a husband and two kids and the secretary has been promoted to assistant detective. There's a bit of filling in to do, I see.

smiley - biggrin

Post 3234

ultrapete

i picked up Yes Man by Danny Wallace at the airport the other day and laughed my ass off all the way to south africa.
the basic premice is any time someone asks him a question he has to say yes to it.

Post 3235

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

That sounds like a fascinating idea for a book, ultrapete!

Post 3236

Gem - leave a message and I'll get back to you!!

I'm reading Salmon of Doubt - contents by Douglas Adams, compiled from his computer hard drive after his death.

Better late than never I say!!

Post 3237

I enjoyed the Salmon of Doubt and was really annoyed when I came to the end smiley - cross

Post 3238

redpeckhamthegreatpompomwithnobson

smiley - laugh

Any really good book coming to an end is hard. Like the end of a meaningful relationship!

Post 3239

It can be quite hard sometimes, can't it? I hate it when you're absolutely loving a book, get to the last page and don't realise you're at the end smiley - silly

Post 3240

Sho - employed again!

currently reading:

Sharpe's Gold (reread) - Bernard Cornwell
Eleven on Top - Janet Evanovich
Ein Englishman in Köln - can't remember the chap's name.

All excellent in their own way.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more