A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 2901

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

very unususlly, I've not been able to settle on a book this last couple of weeks. So, at the weekend I bought and started 'Something Rotten' by Jasper Fforde. Very easy reading, good literary jokes, and up to his usual standard. As usual, the book comes bundled with extras which can be seen on http://www.jasperfforde.com

Hopefully my pre-ordered copy of Jung Chang's new Mao biography will arrive today - but my wife has first dibs on that.

Post 2902

night-eyes

So, my second day on h2g2 and I already learned something! I am not the only wired person in the world reading more than one book at a time!smiley - smiley Not a very common trait among my friends.. Can't imagine why!

Anyway, right now I am reading AGAIN "Hogfather". I am starting "The Physician" by Noah Gordon, which was recommended by I friend, but.. Can't say yet if I like it. And I am almost at the end of Gore Vidal's "Creation". Have been reading this last one for quite some time nowsmiley - winkeye

Post 2903

nicki

i have not as yet come to the end of any of the books i was reading!

i havent added any either but i thought id check in here after a long absence!

i am however trying to read essential cell biology by alberts et al by tommorrow morning as i have an exam in the subject and its my course textbook!

Post 2904

Jim Lynn

I've been reading a lot of books by a man called John Holt recently:

How Children Fail
How Children Learn
Learning all the Time
Teach Your Own

They're all about how children learn best, and why School is usually a very bad place for children to learn anything. Fascinating.

Post 2905

Andy

After finishing Cornwell (ending was rubbish), I'm off fiction for a while. Just started Once Upon a Number by John Allan Paulos.

Post 2906

Madam_Cone

Past Mortem By Ben Elton.
A nice easy read, but very dark. The murder mystery side of it is not particularly thrilling. It is quite obvious who dun it. The rest of the story does keep you thinking and looking at your own life and childhood experiences.

Post 2907

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

My son has bought me both of the Simon Brown books 'Keys of Power', so I now have the whole trilogy. Yay, and blessings on him! The only condition is that he gets to read them after me. I am still reading 'Hyperion,' however. (And John Pilger's 'Tell Me no Lies' Awesome)

Post 2908

Annie the Great

I am reading 'Fall on your knees', by Ann-Marie MacDonald and 'The Saxon Shore', by Jack Whyte.
'Fall on your Knees' is a fascinating book about a very unusual family living on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Highly reccomended, even though it was an Oprah 'Book of the Week'.
'The Saxon Shore' is a just as fascinating book and the fourth in the Camulod Chronicles series, which is based on the Arthurian legends.

Anniesmiley - smiley

Post 2909

<<'The Saxon Shore' is a just as fascinating book and the fourth in the Camulod Chronicles series, which is based on the Arthurian legends.>>

Sounds great! smiley - magic

Post 2910

liekki

I have three books that I'm sort of reading at the moment:

Eleanor of Aquitaine - A Life by Alison Weir
A Short History Of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
The Unbearable Lightness Of Being by Milan Kundera

Haven't gotten anywhere with any of them smiley - erm

Post 2911

Crescent

If Chins Could Kill - The Confessions of a B Movie Actor by a certain Mr Bruce Campbell. An excellent autobiography following the ups and downs of a working stiff in the wierd and wonderful world of film making and promoting smiley - smiley Until later...
BCNU - Crescent

Post 2912

<>

Yay, and another one for the list!

Post 2913

Ocean Soul (registered Linux user 390755)

Dragonspell, by Katherine Kerr, as part of my attempt to read all of the Deverry novels in the right order this time smiley - smiley
Brilliant story, it really gets my heart racing even though I've already read it and know what's going to happen.

Post 2914

YalsonKSA - "I'm glad birthdays don't come round regularly, as I'm not sure I could do that too often."

I've just started a book about the history of the Israeli army. Very interesting it is too.

Post 2915

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Re-reading Nietsche's "The Anti-Christ" (awesome stuff, still one of my favorites!) and Ira Levin's "This Perfect Day", as well as continuing with "Guerilla Radio". All great reads!

I'll have to add "If Chins Could Kill" to my list. smiley - smiley

Post 2916

Sheep in wolfs clothing

Finished 'The Human Stain' by Philip Roth. Worth reading, but it was quite heavy (though not long). Has anyone read any other Philip Roth and, if so, how does this compare?
Also just finished 'How to be good' by Nick Hornby. Very thought provoking and enjoyable (sometimes very funny as well). I couldn't help picturing the couple from a '90s sitcom (whose name I can't remember).

Post 2917

Sho - employed again!

I loved How To Be Good. I keep reading that Hornby is good because he writes men well - but I think he's good because he writes women well.

Just about to start Moby Dick to keep a friend happy.

Post 2918

Lizzbett

I'm about ten chapters in to "The Catcher in the Rye" by J D Salinger. I haven't decided yet whether I like it or not. The vernacular language takes a bit of getting used to.

Post 2919

Shirps

Ah! The Katherine Kerr series - brilliant - my daughter & I were waiting every year for the next one!!! She's got them all now - I suppose I might borrow them in the future & re-read, but only when I have completely forgotten them!

Just finished Wideacre by Philippa Gregory - hmm, well, the sexual connotations were not really my sort of thing, but could understand why "some" of it was needed. Thought I'd punish myself & read the next one: The Favoured Child. I've enjoyed her other books, but apparently these were her first.

I picked up Year of Wonders with the 99p Times book offer - really good book - fitted it in while reading Wideacre - very realistic, no holds barred about the horrors of the plague.

Looking forward to reading Edward Rutherford's Russka when I go on holiday - read his others: Forest, London, Sarum - are there any others that anyone knows about?

Waiting also for Wilbur Smith's next Egyptian based book - heard him in an interview where he said "one day"!!!

smiley - dog

Post 2920

<>

I have got only one of them, but I have read about six, and would like to find the rest.

Key: Complain about this post