A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 2121

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Wasn't there a mistress who he left to die in a train wreck?

Post 2122

Barry (ask me about the Disneyland Resort)

_A Christmas Carol_ makes me laugh out loud every time I read or hear it. There are few books that I've read that are as witty (although any of DNA's books come to mind).

Post 2123

wordsmith_mike

I'm reading the fantasy "Fortress Draconis" by Micheal A Ftackpole

For me it concentrates too much on details and tatctics, ad makes the story difficult to follow

Post 2124

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I love Stephen King! In my opinion, he's so under-rated, but he's much better than he's given credit for being. The latest I read by him was "as by" someone called Eleanor Druse - connected with a mini-series called Kingdom Hospital. (Have a look at the BBC Cult TV page.) smiley - magic

Post 2125

akaKarateka

I'm new here. Not sure if I do a general reply or reply to any specific post.

I just finished Kite Runner. Good book but there was a weakness at the end. This is his first novel and he struggled in finishing it. But the book was so good that this is a minor criticism.

I am working to read Pamuk's Snow. It is a political novel and I am finding that the politics overwhelm the story. I really want to read this book so I keep trying.

I am beginning Johathan Lethem's The Fortress of Solitude. It is promising. His Motherless Brooklyn was a favorite of mine but can most authors do a second book? I'll report back.

Post 2126

Barry (ask me about the Disneyland Resort)

"I'm new here. Not sure if I do a general reply or reply to any specific post."

No problem either way smiley - ok and welcome to the discussion.

Post 2127

Sho - employed again!

The problem with a lot of Dickens is the fact that a lot (if not all) of his novels were first serialised in weekly (?) publications, and hence all the silly cliffhangers that wouldn't be necessary in a complete novel.

Maybe someone should give them a really good edit and see what happens?

In the meantime, I finally picked up my copy of The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. But I'm slogging through the introduction and it's not ... well, gripping. Perhaps I should just skip ahead to the novel itself.

Post 2128

Teuchter

Currently reading "Birth of Venus" by Sarah Dunnant - set in Florence during the time of Alexander vi, one of the Borgia popes.

Post 2129

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Just finished The da Vinci code; I just couldn't put that book down! "A fictional story based on historical facts, oh no!" I hear you say, but this book is seriously worth your time smiley - winkeye

Post 2130

Narapoia

Can't agree, I'm afraid. Waste of £6.99.
I found it predictable (I "got" most of the clues etc well before the "hero" did) and formulaic. There was an excellent spoof on it in Private Eye the other week.
Most annoying was the sample of some other bit of trite nonsense he's written at the end, with another medieval mystery and another Beautiful But Mysterious female...
Argghhhhhh!

Post 2131

A Super Furry Animal

I thought The Da Vinci Code was a waste of paper, too. At the end of the book, what do you know about the main character, his motivations, his inner desires and feelings?

Here's what you know about him:

1. His name.
2. Er...
3. That's it.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2132

Narapoia

>Spoiler warning<
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
...and I would have thought that finding out you were descended from Jesus Christ might be a bit more traumatic than it appeared to be.
"Oh, wow, that's cool! So what's for supper?"

Sorry, I really should get out more.
My other half reckons Brown also got numerous facts wrong eg. Eurostar trains go from the Gare du Nord not from St Lazare (or was it the other way round) and the last time he was there at 11pm it was deserted, never mind 3 am (Brown made out it was a hive of activity). So no prizes for research either.
Haven't read anything quite as annoying since the Horse Whisperer (unadulterated caca).

Am currently reading Monstrous Regiment, which is far more credible.

Post 2133

A Super Furry Animal

Oh and while we're at it...Biggin Hill "Executive" airport? Who calls it that? No-one! (apart from irritating tosspots as sent up by Fry & Laurie some years ago smiley - winkeye)

And the pretext for diverting the plane...there's been a petrol spill. Someone point out to me all the planes that run on petrol, please.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2134

Narapoia

smiley - laugh

Post 2135

Forgiving his American mistakes (apparently England is the only country in Europe that drives on the left hand side and suddenly there is such a thing as a 'British accent' *rolls eyes*), I thought it was a wonderful way to bring such an intruiging story to the masses. I knew of a lot of it already though smiley - winkeye

Post 2136

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Currently reading Goulds book of fish about a englishman transported (several times!) to Tazmania. Very good.....

Post 2137

A Super Furry Animal

Ah, fords, the problem is that they're not "American making English mistakes" kind of mistakes. I mean, he manages to spell "colour" correctly and so on. No, they are errors of fact, and, in some cases, just plain bad writing. I hated it. Still, one man's fish is another man's poisson and all that...smiley - winkeye

Gould's Book Of Fish will weird you out! Brilliant book! smiley - biggrin

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2138

*checks book*

You're right! I thought it strange that some words were spelled 'properly', right enough smiley - winkeye

Post 2139

tanzen

Magic Circles - Bob Mason

Were *all* the Beatles' songs about drugs smiley - yikes??

Post 2140

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

I'm reading Douglas Adams > 'Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul'

Much enjoyed 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' much better even than the Hitchhiker's stuff...

smiley - skull

Key: Complain about this post