A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Any need for an Army recruitment article?

Post 1

Merangadan

I'm waiting on my training for the Royal Engineers starting. It has taken a very long time to get to this stage in the recruitment process, the Army careers people have been realy vague every step of the way and its only now that i'm on the verge of training that I now the in's and outs of the process.
I've a lot of information on the testing the forms and the different career paths and how they decide which your qualified for.

This article would be quite lenthy to write although organised in such a way that people would only have to read what was relevent to their own army career choice, qualifications or ages, etc, etc.

I would appretiate peoples opinion as to whether this article would be of any help or relevance to any one.
Basicaly what do folk thing...Good and MORE importantly BAD!

Thanks smiley - biggrin

Post 2

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

In my opinion, the Guide should have all sorts of interesting information, some useful and some plain silly. I think your idea is a great idea for the Guide. I may not use it personally, but it might be useful for others to gain from your wisdom. Go for it!

Yours,
Jake

Post 3

Merangadan

Cheers! smiley - biggrin

Thats 1 vote yes!

Post 4

Xanatic

I´d say that the Guide should have everything. But this would be way down low on my priority list. How about first doing one on actual military history. Where the military are exposed like the ba***rds they are.

Post 5

Pheroneous

I am not sure that the Guide 'needs' any entries at all. It's sat there just accepting (or not) whatever we happen to throw at it. Its the researchers who make the guide. We choose the subjects that we wish to write about. Acceptance is governed by the quality of the writing, not the subject (unless it transgresses the house rules in some way).

Write your entry. Please. It sounds like a good subject. Try and read the guidelines first, and try and get some structure to it. Try also to keep it light hearted.

Once written as best you can, if you don't feel confident that it's a masterpiece, then take it along to the writers workshop, and they will help you knock it into shape. Once that is done, post it to peer review, where everyone can come along and hurl abuse (or praise) at you. Once article and ego are repaired, you will be on your way.

Post 6

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Is Peer Review really that abusive? I hope not, although sometimes it can be surprising to receive constructive criticism on an article you feel is complete.

Yours,
Jake

Post 7

Pheroneous

No its not, of course it's not. I just wanted to make it sound more exciting, especially given X's comments above! This chap is going in the army, he/she's a tough guy, we can't tell him/her its a nice gentle friendly place where everyone tries to be as helpful as they can!

Post 8

Merangadan

I aint that tough! smiley - biggrin

Post 9

Xanatic

Well, isn´t the object of this place to have all the knowledge in the universe?

Maybe I´ll write an entry on the military, but the month-long waiting periods kinda put me off. I also have a few other things I wanted to write about but never have.

Post 10

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Well, there's a faster process for those people tough enough to pass through the TRIAL OF FEAR. There, that sounds scarier. smiley - winkeye

We are working on speeding up the approval time for Peer Review and I can say there are about twice as many scouts as there were 6 months ago, so things will get better in terms of approval time. Still, it's usually at least a week, and then the SubEditor needs to work on it.

Yours,
Jake

Post 11

Red (and a bit grey) Dog

Well Merangadan as an Ex-Royal Engineer myself (129 Field Squadron RE TA) and 8 years combat engineering behind me (although that`s a while ago now) I'd be really interested in what you have to say on the subject. You're entering a fine branch of the armed forces.

Where are you going - Ripon, Bassingbourn ?

Red smiley - dog

Post 12

Merangadan

Honestly, I dont know where I'll be going.
Since the BARB the army careers folk have knid of decided for me!
But from what I've read the Royal Engineers sounds the best, most interesting, challanging and good training.
What did you get up to in the Engineers then?

Neil

Post 13

Red (and a bit grey) Dog

Hi there, here a quick potted history and a few ideas for you. I went in to the RE TA on the DES scheme in 1983 and came out in 1981. The squadron was based in Hull then but has since become the HQ squadron of the 73rd Engineering Regiment based in Nottingham.

We trained for most Combat Engineering duties (waterpoint, bridging, dems, mining, airfield repair, etc, etc). Our main kit was kept over in Germany where we exercised once or twice a year in addition to many weekend spent in Ripon, Otterburn and Wales.

Did my officer training at RMA Sandhurst in 1985 and became a Troop commander in 1986. Thought long hard and often about becoming a regular but age crept up on me and my job took off and eventually it all faded away.

Basic was a bit of an experience - I can`t say I was really prepared but a bit of mental toughness will stand you in good stead. Can`t emphasies enought the importance of being physicaly fit before you go in - if you're not then it will be both mentally and physicaly a major challenege for you. Don`t underestimate this - military fitness is whole dfferent ball game than being able to play football or rugby or whatever.

Can`t say I`m surprised that you don`t have closure on what you want to do in the RE - the service will have a need for certain trades when uyou go in and you will be given a choice of whats available. There won`t be too much freewill about this and you will need to be able to accept this if you are to enjoy your time in the army. Don`t let it become a running sore.

Once you get through basic and join a unit (again there will be an acclimatisation period for you) then life does become very interested and varied. I had a wonderful time.

There is a sort of hierachy amongst the army with regard to `respect` - RCT (now Logistics) always copped a lot of flak for driving trucks around. Combat Engineers are widely respected by all other units and there`s no interservice rivalry to worry about.

I got a huge personal legacy from my time in the Engineers - I know what real teamwork and camaraderie is all about, I done and seen a lit of stuff, I`ve played with a lot of govt hardware and big boys toys, and I have self discipline and confidence .... oh and I've athousand funny stories as well.
Red

Post 14

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I think it's an excellent article idea. There are a lot of nuances about it that the unprepared might be surprised by. Recruiters are there to sell a procuct, and they aren't necesiarily the people you want to listen to when decideing what you want to do for the next four years.

I think recent vets or guys who've been in the service for a couple of years would have a lot of good advice for new guys. They could really do a lot in helping new recruits find a fufilling job.

The military isn't a job that you can just quit. You're making a binding decision that could result in a fine career or a miserable term.

Post 15

I was inspired by theis conversation to create The Barracks [http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A572799]. It's place for veterans to gather and swap stories. It's also a place for people who want to be veterans some day to ask about the military.

Post 16

Researcher 179388

As the daughter of a Sapper (30 years service, retired quite a few years ago), I can say that it was a brilliant life as an Army brat.

Apart from the boarding school bit!

My Dad always seemed to uncover a recce boat or dinghy that wasn't being used so we seemed to spend a far bit of time afloat. The assualt courses and firing ranges also gave us hours of pleasure!

The bailey bridges were the best fun and as for Bonfire Night, any unused ammo got the fire off to a good start.

Those where the days. Except for the times Dad disappeared off to various hotspots, ahead of the frontline establishing bridges, roads fuel depots etc.

Post 17

Cool.

I've noticed that the British military has far cooler names for their jobs than we do. Sapper pretty much says it all.

Even when I was in the infanrty, I was an Indirect Fire Infantryman. It sounds like something from a corporation. I don't even know what my formal title was when I was on the bomb squad.

Post 18

Researcher 179388

Sapper is a rank in the CRE, but it also a term for anyone who has served in the Regiment.

Orginally it was the Corps of Sappers and Miners.

Key: Complain about this post