A Conversation for Japanese Toilets

Peer Review: A3261746 - Japanese Toilets

Post 1

Julian Panzerfaust

Entry: Japanese Toilets - A3261746
Author: Julian Panzerfaust - U1100093

A rather odd article, but interesting. I am interested in Japanese culture, so I wrote this. I also wrote an article the same as this one for Wikipedia.

A3261746 - Japanese Toilets

Post 2

Skankyrich [?]

I think it's a great article, thoroughly researched and well written, but....

As far as the edited guide goes, I don't think they'll be able to use it as you have already published the article elsewhere on the web. You'd have to basically re-write it for copyright reasons for it to get into the Edited Guide.

Also, this may sound horribly anal (no pun intended) but in the EG the spelling format is in British English, so you'd have to change all those -ize's to -ise's. They also like you to use ' rather than " unless it's an actual quote.

You can view the Writing Guidelines through a link just off the Peer Review page. I really did enjoy the read, but for the EG I just have a feeling it won't be accepted without a major rewrite smiley - sadface

Post 3

Julian Panzerfaust

Ah, I was afraid of that. Darn. I don't like re-writing.

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Interesting! Just out of curiosity, how did you come to know so much about Japanese toilets? I can think of one obvious cause for taking an interest in the functionality of contemporary Japanese toilets, but not their history.

The Japanese words used in the Entry should probably be in italics.

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm not sure that you can talk about the "standard toilet used worldwide", since southern Europe tends to use a different sort of toilet (like a shower base with a hole and two pedestals to squat on) from Northern Europe, and I don't think "standard toilets" are that common in Africa.

Post 6

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

We don't use standard toilets in Canada either. Ours have seats. smiley - geek

JTG smiley - winkeye

Post 7

Dr. Memory

Great article!

Post 8

Julian Panzerfaust

I'm probably not gomnna finish this one, scince it's at Wikipedia. The story behind my knowledge is that I lived in Japan for awhile, and felt like writing about an odd aspect of Japanese culture. The toilets are awesome there. The have these cool little control panels that I talked about in the article. I'm currently working on a huge Texas history article.

Post 9

Skankyrich [?]

Good idea! I've had a quick scan at the current EG's for Texas and there's lots of general ones but no in-depth history. If you write it as well as you wrote this one, you should have no problems getting it in smiley - smiley

Don't forget, when you've had all the feedback you can handle, to click on the 'remove' button you'll find by the side of this to take it out of Peer Review.

See you around smiley - cheers

Post 10

Dr Hell

Very interesting Entry. (Related LINK: A604289smiley - winkeye )

Is this a word by word copy of your Wikipedia article? I am afraid that if you definetly are not going to reformulate this one, it will not be published as an Edited Guide Entry. Maybe you could give this to someone else to rewrite it with your assistence...

HELL

Post 11

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Good point, Hell. That's an issue that's come up in PR before, and the editors have been pretty clear that they don't want copy/paste jobs from Wikipedia going into the Edited Guide, even if the authors are the same.

smiley - mouse

Post 12

Dr Hell

Yah, some might think this is a pity. But I agree with the editors. Edited Guide Entries should be unique, 'cos what's the point otherwise? If someone wants to read *this* very article, he/she can a) find it as an unedited Entry here, and b) even find it on Wikipedia.

HELL

PS: Mr. Panzerfaust, we will remove this thread from PR for you (your Entry will remain unaffected) if you don't post anything to this thread in... err... four weeks (was that the time limit?). But if you want to be nice, you can remove it yourself by clicking on the 'remove' or 'X' link on the PR-thread list. It's a nice article anyways, BTW, those Wikipedia folks are some lucky bast*rds smiley - winkeye

Post 13

Paully

Oh, and if we were to accept this as an Edited Guide entry, we'd have to lose/modify the section describing a particular company's toilets as "not very popular" - without any facts and figures to base those claims on, we'd lay ourselves open to possible litigation from a rightfully miffed company!

Paully

Post 14

Skankyrich [?]

We'd have to lose/modify the whole thing, Paully - the Wikipedia version is word for word. Julian hasn't posted since mid-November anyway....

smiley - whistle

Post 15

Jimi X

You'd probably also want to remove the references to the photos...

smiley - erm

Post 16

AlexAshman

I think it's time for a move back to entry...

Post 17

Skankyrich [?]

I would second that if only.... <./>F48898?thread=522216http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F48898?thread=522216

Post 18

Skankyrich [?]

Oops.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F48898?thread=522216 Oh, you get the idea....

Post 19

AlexAshman

Yep smiley - biggrin

Post 20

Dr Hell

I too suggest/second a move to underneath the Entry. Sorry if I have not done this earlier...

HELL

Key: Complain about this post