A Conversation for Sub-editing and the Lost Art of Rejection (UG)

Typo

Post 21

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Darn, I thought it was an original idea! smiley - doh

There are books in the house that might have been more or less eaten by mice, but no one can ever accuse me of throwing one away.

Typo

Post 22

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

smiley - yikes Throw a book away? smiley - ill

Typo

Post 23

Why, the very idea...! smiley - yikes

Typo

Post 24

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

'Scuse me whilst I go and have a lie down in a darkened room - if I can find one without falling over a book.

Typo

Post 25

Why worry about falling if you're going to lie down anyway? smiley - laugh

Typo

Post 26

Ah, but I can drape myself lanquidly which is much better than a smiley - somersaultsmiley - smiley

Typo

Post 27

The youth of today... there's just no languid in 'em. smiley - winkeye

Typo

Post 28

smiley - blush Youth? smiley - rofl

Typo

Post 29

smiley - yikes Where?... smiley - run

Typo

Post 30

I can't believe that no one mentioned editors having Type-o blood. smiley - doh

JTg smiley - erm

Typo

Post 31

I could have sworn someone mentionededitors having type-o blood.

Perhaps someone did post such a comment and an editor, for reasons of his or her own (or perhaps none at all), keeps removing it.

Or perhaps it always happens to apear precisely in that spot made obscure by the jam stain on my glasses.

It certainly is a worlld of possibility in which we live.

JTG smiley - smiley

Typo

Post 32

I'm sorry Granny Weatherwax cannot reply at the moment, she's busy making marmalade in another dimension

Typo

Post 33

Mmmmm, pan-dimensional marmalade! My favourite!

Typo

Post 34

*chucks a couple of jars through a worm-hole*

'S funny, every time I see your name I think of my bro-in-law who;s a landscape gardner called John smiley - laugh

Typo

Post 35

Well, we've got two hyphens in common, as well as the choice of occupation. smiley - laugh

Typo

Post 36

ITIWBS

"paragragh" may not be standard English, but it's certainly Shavian, after George Bernard Shaw's "ghoti", which is of course pronounced "fish", the "gh" as from "enough" (or, of course, "paragragh"), the "o" as from "women", the "ti" as from "action".

The English language certainly has seen enormous transformations since the reign of King Henry VIII, over his insistence that everyone speak "the King's English", meaning, of course, his English (rather than that of Sir Thomas Moore*), after King Henry VIII's example.

* See Sir Thomas Moore's "Utopia" for further elucidation.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Sub-editing and the Lost Art of Rejection (UG)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more