A Conversation for Personality Theories

Subjective Reality Theory

Post 1

Zach Garland

You conjure from the void inside yourself a random image of a carrot, then seek out a similar image you placed into your sensorial environment at the beginning of time when you invented this fabrication of a universe. In order to continue to perpetuate the lie that any of this is real, you invent these needs within you to seek out what your conscious mind believes to be real.

Or you're a rabbit.

What's up, Doc?

Post 2

Si

Is that a randomly chosen image of a carrot, a randomly rendered image that happens to look like a carot or a randomly rendered image that you're going to call a carrot whether anyone else likes it or not? It matters to rabbits.

What's up, Doc?

Post 3

Zach Garland

I believe the answer to that question is yes.

Post 4

EllieZang

Dangling carrots... Hmm.

Okay, let's say I'm a rabbit with a taste for broccoli - can't STAND carrots. When the aforementioned carrot is presented and I accept it at face value instead of crashing it through my own test of subjectivity and wondering if it is merely a mental construct designed to point me towards some sort of inner self-loathing (hating the carrot means that I dislike something in myself, for instance), it doesn't change the way the carrot tastes in my subjective little rabbit mouth.

Or does it mean that I place too much value on my distaste for carrots? Should I consider the thing nutritious, get over my taste buds, and eat it anyway because it's good for me?

Post 5

Fate Amenable To Change

ok I think I see a carrot but all I have to go on are my senses which may or not be truly representing what a carot actually is. It may not be a carrot, it may be something else, but maybe my sub conscious choses to see a carot. Now why would it want to do that?
(Also - the fact that I wrote here at all probably says more about my personality type than I would wish)
Any one heard of the Enneagram?

Post 6

Zach Garland

I think I had some enneagrams for breakfast yesterday.

Post 7

EllieZang

Did you use your belly button as a bowl and add milk? This is with the assumption that you don't have an outie.

Post 8

EllieZang

Did you use your belly button as a bowl and add milk?

This is with the assumption that you don't have an outie.

Post 9

Fenchurch M. Mercury

Sounds like Plato's thing, or maybe it is... you know, that there is an ideal 'Carrot' in the collective human conscienceness, and every carrot you see is a slightly imperfect version you compare to the 'Carrot'? More philosophy than Psychology, I think... maybe I should do an entire series on metaphysical theories of 'being'?

Post 10

Zach Garland

That sounds like too much effort. Maybe do a series on outie and innie belly buttons. I think it will be more helpful to people.

Post 11

Fenchurch M. Mercury

Hmm... Outies and innies... and the rare second belly-button.... injuries and diseases affecting the bellybutton... interesting. I may look into that, though I think someone's already taken up the belly-button genre... always good to check, though smiley - smiley Right now I'm doing a series on the World Series, which is proving to be interesting. My first installment is "Say it Ain't So, Joe", naturally...

I don't think the states of being would be too hard with the comprehensive cartoon-figures my friend came up with: it's actually quite clever... a little stick figure of a french duelist for "dualism", and whatnot... and it's not much trouble, just stuff like the materialist cartoon saying "Yo, it's all about the stuff!"... there's little natualists with big noses (i.e. no plastic surgery)...etc.

Post 12

EllieZang

And the solipsist would be wearing a hat with dangly-down mirrors all the way around the brim? Mirrors facing the wearer.
So is this cartoon going to be a series of strips or one frame? It sounds good. Just don't drop the refuse in my belly button.

Post 13

Researcher 153369

dasein...what more can i say

Key: Complain about this post