A Conversation for Zzzzz

Alphabetical Extremities

Post 1

Spamfast

A devious approach to fame, if not fortune. Someone might like to stake a claim for the first entry in the Guide by discussing lava in Hawaiian - unless someone wants to discuss indefinite articles and beat even that.

(Free pumice stone to the first person who explains this gibberish.)

Alphabetical Extremities

Post 2

Rickshaw Splat

A'a is a rough spiky type of Hawaiian Lava - send me my pumice stone now!

Alphabetical Extremities

Post 3

Spamfast

Ah ha - a geologist or possibly a Scrabble player. I was going to suggest pahoehoe for word of the day but I was beaten to it by a disappointingly large margin.

Pumice stone on the way. (Did I forget to mention that it's a virtual pumice stone? Let's hope you've already received a virtual bathtub.)

Alphabetical Extremities

Post 4

Rickshaw Splat

Yes, I wash my virtual Aardvark in it.

Alphabetical Extremities

Post 5

Gwydion

Talking about Alphabetical extremities....
I thought I'd just point out that the english alphabet's last letter is z, but for example the norwegian alphabet has three more letters in it, which all comes after Z. Those are Æ,Ø & Å.

Alphabetical Extremities

Post 6

AgProv2

So an article about Ældermen in British local government, or the Ænglo-Saxon language, would trump the Z's and go after them in the guilde?

Alphabetical Extremities

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Only in Norwegian lexical order. In English, the AE ligature is treated as if it were A E.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more