A Conversation for Dynamite

Dynamite

Post 1

Ironic Joke

Dynamite was invented by Alfred Noble, a Swedish inventor who also, for reasons which were funny at the time, put his name to the Noble peace prize.

Dynamite ia more stable version of nytro glysarin, possibly not spelt like this!

Dynamite, although stable, will still blow up if you place a match to it.. this is why some bright spark invented Plastic explosive (e.g. semtex, C4 etc) which only explode with an electrical current.

Dynamite is mainly used in the quarrying industry, but has been known to be used to good effect by cartoon characters!

Dynamite

Post 2

Researcher 59778

Dynamite is produced by suspending nitroglycerine in a stabilizer, such as sawdust. The amount of nitro in the dynamite is what the strength measurement is based on (i.e., quarter stick, half stick, etc.). It is possible to remove the nitroglycerine from dynamite by placing the dynamite in gently boiling water. As the nitro soaks out ot the dynamite, it can be skimmed off the top of the water. Keep in mind, though, that nitroglycerine is one of the few things that is not exaggerated in cartoons-- any sudden shock can cause it to detonate.

Dynamite

Post 3

Screamadelica

Nobels brother was killed whilst handling nitro-glycerine. This is one of the reasons that nobel looked into ways of stabilising it.

Dynamite

Post 4

Post Team

Something else which is dynamite:

Say I love you in the POST - Why not send a Valentine message to someone you care for or a fun message to a fellow reseacher. They will be published in the h2g2 POST in its Valentine issue. Plus a valentine competition.
you can do it here:
http://www.h2g2.com/A250633

Remember the h2g2 POST Publishes News and Articles every Monday - Write to your very own Agony Aunt. Has Mark Moxon revealed what is about to happen in and around h2g2? Have you been a Guinea Pig yet? Do you fancy yourself as a Reporter ? This and much more, in your weekly newspaper at
http://www.h2g2.com/U54963

Thanks - I'll see you there

VegimanPR

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dynamite

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more