This is the Message Centre for Woodpigeon

An astronomically small success

Post 1

Woodpigeon

About a year ago, I bought a mounting for my telescope - a sort of tube and ring attachment - enabling it to be connected to an SLR camera. I was confidently assured that I could now take photos of the distant heavens. I was very excited about it, but when I rushed out to try my new contraption I was bitterly disappointed. Distant objects remained massively unfocused and no matter what I did, I couldn't get anything to appear in the camera that looked in any way crisp or coherent .

The camera attachment was shelved and I went about my life, frustrated that my hopes of a shining astrophotographical career had been cut off so cruelly in their infancy..

Anyhow, as Jupiter is now shining brilliantly in the evening sky, I tried once again a few nights ago to set up my telescope and to solve the mystery of the non-functioning attachment. Once more all I could get was unfocused blobs, but I did discover something: it was focusing quite well on the very near distance. If I had wanted to take an astronomical photo of the door handle close by, it would have done a marvelous job. How to solve this puzzle?

And then, the discovery. The telescope eyepieces seemed to fit into the attachment's tube comfortably well. What if...?

Let's just say I immediately felt like a complete idiot.

It was very fulfilling to take a photo of Jupiter and it's moons for the first time. I haven't yet got it quite right: Jupiter is still very indistinct. I can't see any banding on the planet, but the moons do appear quite well.

What I can't do so well is to image the dimmer stars. I have quite good visibility where I live and the telescope does a good job of picking up the dimmer stars of the Milky Way, but the images don't make their way into the camera, no matter how aggressively I set the shutter time. Is 30 seconds far too short? It it even possible to image a star field through a 70mm lens?

The quest continues..

Post 2

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

Hi Woodpigeon

This is what I get when I start aimlessly exploring my old PS code saved as a guide page instead of working at my thesis. I found a link to the Living Earth Society, created by your good self, jumped to your PS, clicked on a conversation and end up here.

In terms of your telescope, have you checked out the h2g2 Astronomical Society at A413876 ? Deke ( U27380 ) has recently resurrected it and you might find an "expert" over there who could help with the photography issue.

Questions that come to my mind are:
1. What type of telescope have you got and what camera?
2. Have you tried to set things up in Prime Focus - that is using the scope as the camera lens?

I found this site that has some beginners advice - http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/TOC_AP.HTM

t. smiley - marssmiley - moon

Post 3

Woodpigeon

Hi turvy,

Hey thanks a lot for that - I think I should check it out. I haven't tried again since (one of the big reasons being that the weather hasn't been up to much until very recently) and I have a feeling that I need to give the camera a bit more exposure than it has been given to date.

My little baby is a Meade ETX 70.

As for the long dead Living Earth society, I have often harboured a desire to resurrect it in blog form, if only for the fact that I have precious little time to do it justice.

thanks! smiley - cheersW

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Woodpigeon

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more