A Conversation for The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd's Iconic Album

The Dark Side of the Rainbow

Post 1

Oracle428

Ok, in terms of the switch from black & white into color in the Wizard of Oz, and how it coincides with Money on the album.... you say it would match up better with Any Colour You Like, but actually, there is quite a bit of significance to be found here.... for one, The Wizard of Oz was one of the most expensive movies made for its day because of the use of color film (it and Gone With the Wind were sort of the premeire color films)... secondly, L. Frank Baum wrote the Wizard of Oz as an allegory of the monetary situations of the early United States... the yellow brick road was symbolic of the Gold Standard, and you also have the Emerald City, and the "Ruby" slippers (which were actually Silver in the book)... even all of the characters are symbolic: Dorothy represents American ideals, Scarecrow represents the American Farmers, Tin Man represents American Industry, Toto represents the totalitarians. Even Oz itself is the abbreviation for Ounce of Gold... I forget what Lion, the Wizard, Glenda, and the Witch represent, but they are symbolic... I remember one of them is McKinnley... I dunno smiley - huh ... not to mention, this song is particularly awesome with this part of the movie (its cool watching the munchkins dance around with the beat of the music)....smiley - winkeye

But anyway, here is the Definitive Site dedicated to this syncronicity... Its called The Dark Side of the Rainbow... check it out.

http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/dsotr.htm

~The Oracle, Knower of all things Random and Irrelevant~ smiley - witchsmiley - magic

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

People have really listened to this whilst watching Wizzard of Oz?
really?

I'm going to have to try this.

3rd roar of the lion you say?

smiley - run

Post 3

Zerrett87

the lion was a man whos name was Bryen, he was the leader of the populist party who was all roar and nothing eles the wicked witch of the east and west were the bank and the feds
-tank

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

I've heard that the "political theory", matching the wizard of Oz with the local politics of the time, is even more dubious than the Rainbow theory.

Post 5

Oracle428

Yep Sho, just hit play on the cd just a split-second after the MGM lion roars for the 3rd time, at the beginning... and be sure to have the cd on repeat... it plays through about 2 1/4 times (and spookily matches up in all the repeats)... I especially like the part at the end where Dorothy is waking up back in Kansas and the lyrics that are playing are:

Home, Home again.
I like to be here when I can.
When I come home, cold and tired,
Its good to warm my bones beside the fire.

and check out the site I mentioned above... it gives a complete list of everything that syncs up between the album and the movie. -- and also provides a lot of cool information and links.

I still havn't found my list of what exactly the characters symbolize (I had gotten it in a history class at some point, but have since hidden it from myself - go figure) -- I'll keep looking.

~The Oracle, Knower of all things Random and Irrelevant~ smiley - witchsmiley - magic

Post 6

Zerrett87

Lion- william jennings brian
scarcrow- farmers
tin man- indesteries
dorthy- common man
oz- the presadent
sliver(not ruby) slippers- sliver coinage
yellow brick road- gold standerd
emraaled city- money

brian was the leader of the populist party and was all talk and no work
OZ is oz. aka ounces of gold

Post 7

Sho - employed again!

Thanks, Oracle. But now I have to buy Dark Side of the Moon on CD... or do a really quick flip of my LP when side one finishes...

At least the Gruesome Twosome like Pink Floyd, so they're not likely to moan about this experiment.

Post 8

Oracle428

You definately need the CD for it to work... don't forget to put it on repeat... or, you might get lucky and find a dubbed off copy to purchase (already set up with the music over the movie)... try ebay, or the Dark Side of the Rainbow site I mentioned earlier (I've seen them advertised on his site before, and if you contact him he might know where to get one). ----- but its so much more fun setting it up yourself.

Post 9

Dr. Megabite

Is it just me, or don't the four main Charcters of 'Wizard' and the four Floyd members bear a resemblance? The lion looks a bit like Nick Mason...

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

Judy Garland and Dave Gilmour certainly both have very distinctive eyes.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more