A Conversation for Surviving Foreign Language Oral Examinations

Beware of personality clashes!

Post 1

Maolmuire

Very good entry, brought back a lot of memories of 'oral exam dread'. Eugh. There is one other aspect of the oral exam which was missed, but thankfully does not seem to crop up very often: personality clashes.
A friend of mine who was fluent in the language being tested (he had spoken it from birth, well ok, maybe a *little* after that, but it was the primary language used at home) had a personality clash with the examiner. Those of us waiting outside anxiously for our turn could actually hear the heated debate which occurred between the two. None of us could follow it. He failed.
So remember, you are *not* there to debate the examiner, steer the coversation towards what you have prepared. For instance, if asked about President Bush and how good or bad you think he is, say 'he is from Texas, I would like to go to Texas on my holidays, last year I went to Greece on my holidays' etc. And yes, you should definitely have prepared just as in the entry.

Key: Complain about this post

Beware of personality clashes!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more