Dram

Post 1

2 of 3

whats a dram?

2/3

Dram

Post 2

etherealsojourner

I believe a dram is the rough equivalent to an liquid ounce. It sounds, from the tone of the recipe, that you may well substitute any measure deemed appropriate. When mixing alcholic beverages, I prefer to think of recipes as approximate suggestions. It's much easier to translate into 'parts' than drams and ounces anyway.smiley - cheers

Dram

Post 3

anhaga

1 dram = 1.041 British fluid drachms

smiley - biggrin

(or 1/8 fluid ounce.)

Dram

Post 4

flyingtwinkle

so whatever the dram is it is 16 and 12 of port and brandy ratio but what time is considered right to caribou?

Dram

Post 5

2 of 3

I would agree that with alocholic bevvies you'd want parts and not exact measurements.

I just found it strange that the article was published with drams (especially seeing how metric units are normally insisted on) and wondered if it had any significance?

Most people can relate to ounces even if its not metric, but drams?!!!

2/3

Dram

Post 6

anhaga

I was just feeling whimsical when I put the recipe together. There is absolutely no significance to my choice of units. I expect it got through to the Edited Guide because everyone else was feeling whimsical as well.smiley - smiley

Dram

Post 7

Bagheera: Spellchecker, Grammarian Pedant, Semiquavering Secretary and member of the Punctuation Police

smiley - biggrinsmiley - blackcat I visited family in Denmark recently, where the latest "fashion" drink is called smiley - fish"Fish"smiley - hsif

In a standard measure of VODKA one grinds up and dissolves at least 3 'Fisherman's Friends' lozenges

I know it sounds smiley - yuk but it's surprisingly tasty, and is actually sold in pubs along the West Coast smiley - biggrin

Dram

Post 8

fords - number 1 all over heaven

smiley - yuk That sounds totally disgusting!

Dram

Post 9

Bagheera: Spellchecker, Grammarian Pedant, Semiquavering Secretary and member of the Punctuation Police

smiley - evilgrinsmiley - blackcat Next time we have a HooToo Pub Crawl I shal make sure that I mix up a barrel ( = 35 U.S. gallons)smiley - yikes of "fish" and stand it at the end of the Campsite Alfresco Bar smiley - runsmiley - blackcat

Dram

Post 10

smiley - biggrin Speaking of which, isn't it about time we HAVE another Pub Crawl?? smiley - winkeye

Dram

Post 11

etherealsojourner

I prefer to drink 'like a fish'. We'll be putting Altoids in our whiskey glasses next. Where have all the purists gone?

Dram - just keep the measures consistent

Post 12

AgProv3

If I read it right, this is made to a ratio of four parts brandy to three of port to two of maple syrup?

Key: Complain about this post