A Conversation for The 'Carry On...' films

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 1

Primord

Isn't it funny how many people seem to miss out on a few of the Carry ons? Whenever non-fans talk of them, they seem to have only seen Carry On England!
People also overlook-
Carry on Jack, Dick, Cruising, Spying, Teacher, Regardless, Constable, Cabby and Sergeant.

Fabulous scenes in Regardless-Kenneth Williams trying to get a Taxi driver to take him and the Chimpanzee (Yoki)..."I'll take you-but not your brother!" Also, has anyone noticed the Chimpanzee has to be pulled back from the kerb by Williams when the Taxi pulls up?

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 2

Primord

Oh, forgot to add, is there any other films, with most of the same cast, that you think of as being like a Carry On or would recommend?
"Twice (I think) round the daffodils" and "What a carve up" are two examples.

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 3

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

I think England must be one I've missed !!!

Spying is a classic though

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 4

Primord

England is one I'd advise missing smiley - smiley Too much t & a and not much else.

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 5

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

Not to mention Follow That Camel. Where the immensely talented Phil Silvers looked totally out of place with the British cast.

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 6

Primord

absolutely-

(how the devil are you btw? pleased to see you again!)

Silvers was cast to take the place of Sid James-who would have made an incredible difference to the whole film.

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 7

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Cruising, Cabby, and Regardless have all been mentioned in other threads already smiley - ok Cruising is one of my favourites, especially with the cake that Lance Percival cooks for Sid James smiley - laugh

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 8

Researcher 244522

My favourite bits from Cruising are Lance Percivals injections (and the siren)

Favourite was Nursing but that was because of Susan Stewart who I had the most enormous crush on.

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 9

jillcarryonfan

Disneys one of our dinosaurs is missing has a number of the Carry On Stars in its cast.

What a carve up is one of my favourite Sid James Kenneth Connor pairing that should have been a Carry On Film. Carry On Haunting possibly.

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 10

Primord

smiley - ok

Glad to see someone else's a fan of Carve up smiley - smiley

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 11

BillBoosey

The amazing thing about the "Carry On" series, unlike other comedy film series like Police Academy, or American Pie etc, is that every one of the 31 films (including That's Carry On) was directed and produced (Exec Prod in the case of Columbus) by the same two men, Gerald Thomas and Peter Rogers.
There were lots of other films of the 50s/60s/70s that had a very Carry On feel to them, but most were just poor imitations. Having said that, the film "Carry On Admiral" (not one of the series) was released the year before the series started AND starred Joan Sims, so perhaps the Carry On series were the imitators. smiley - smiley
The "Doctor" series of films were probably the closest to the Carry Ons in style and content, which isn't suprising when you consider that they were all directed by Gerald Thomas's brother Ralph, and produced by Peter Rogers's wife Betty E Box.

Peter Rogers and Gerald Thomas made a number of other comedy films besides the Carry On series. It's also worth remembering that at least three of the "Carry On" films were made without being called "Carry On..."
They were "Carry On Cabby" (which was changed from "Call Me A Cab" just prior to release), "Carry On....Don't Lose Your Head" and "Carry On... Follow That Camel" which both had the "Carry On" bit added a fair while after they had first been released.
They also made a number of dramatic films, most notably "Time Lock" which gave Sean Connery one of his first tastes at movie acting.

The comedy films of Peter & Gerald are:
Nurse On Wheels
Please Turn Over
Twice Round The Daffodils
Watch Your Stern
The Big Job
Bless This House
Raising The Wind

With the exception of "Bless This House" (which was already a huge TV show) any of the above could have been called "Carry On".

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 12

BillBoosey

By the way, I'm new to this posting lark, so if I tend to go on a bit please be sure to tell be to belt up.smiley - smiley

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 13

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

It's surprising how big a part Hancock's Half Hour seems to play in the Carry On 'family'. Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Peter Butterworth etc and the eventual marriage of Hattie and Hancocksmiley - erm

'forgotten' Carry ons

Post 14

Bill_Boosey

I think you're getting a little confused over the Hancock / Hattie relationship. Hattie & Hancock never were an item.
Hattie was married to John Le Mesurier.
Hattie left John for another man (Not Hancock)
However, John married Joan. (Hattie encouraged this relationship)
Joan left John for an affair with Hancock.
After Tony's death John took Joan back and they lived happily (-ish) ever after.

But you're right about Carry On stars working with Hancock. Radio shows in particular seemed to bring a lot of talent together. Despite Hancock seeming to dislike Sid, and Kenneth Williams seeming to dislike Hancock, they all worked very well together.

Key: Complain about this post