A Conversation for The 1960s - an Introduction

Sex, Drugs and Rock'n'Roll

Post 1

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

It had to be said. The Sixties started with Teens whose idea of rebellion was hot rod cars and smoking cigarettes. They were a generation who had seen their older siblings go off to war in the US and lived through it in Europe. As the Baby-Boomers ( myself included) began to emerge as the new generation the music changed, clothing changed, and lifestyles changed. Long hair, old recycled clothes and brightly painted mini-vans became common sights among the young. The music festival of Woodstock became the crowning achievement of the age.

Perhaps it is because I graduated high schol and joined the work force in 1970 I see it as a stark line in society, but the disco generation was a calm parody of the years of Weathermen, Black Panthers, Hippies and yippies.

Sex, Drugs and Rock'n'Roll

Post 2

Researcher 234128

I suppose the first whiff of the 60's explosion was the sound of surf music. Or could it be the nasal twang of Dylan enshrining a sub-culture. On the other hand it could be the Beatles who showed that anything was possible in music and lifestyle.
As far as I can remember Dylan was around 62 and the Beatles and Beach Boys burst on the scene in 63

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more